English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > EAB's competition

Old 23 January 2011, 01:32   #1
Graham Humphrey

EAB/Lemon Super League 2011: Round 1 - Dune II

EAB/Lemon Super League 2011: Round 1 - Dune II

Starts: 00:01 January 23 Finishes: 23:59 February 12

Rules

Post a picture of your score here with the score written underneath. Enter as often as you like.

No cheating of any kind (including score leeching) - this includes save states. No continues/passwords allowed. If you suspect anyone of cheating please let us know in private - anyone found guilty will be banned for the entire season.

Please only scores on either Lemon or EAB - whatever one you choose is your team for the season.

Remember, anyone can join in at any time. Have fun and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Level 8, Fastest Completion Time, Any House. Use save files provided in downloads below.

UPDATE:
Play on Fastest speed in the game controls menu

Bring a Friend!

Anybody who invites a totally new player into the competition will get double voting power for the next round.

A few terms and conditions:

1. The new player has to post a score for the designated round and has to confirm who they were invited by.

2. Only one double vote per person per round (although the voting bonus for winning the round will still apply).

3. Anybody who has ever taken part in a Super League or Knockout tournament (even once) does not count as a new player.

4. Players deliberately abusing this offer (i.e. getting someone to post a comedy score to get them the double vote) will have their double vote withdrawn.

Downloads

Extras

Final Scores - EAB, Lemon

1. mihcael - 25
2. Shawn Dimery - 30
3. john4p - 34
4. Masterblaster - 39
5. Biscuit - 40
6. Andrea - 44
7. comiga - 62
8. Lonewolf10 - 66
9. mailman - 122
10. Ze Emulatron - 133

Last edited by Graham Humphrey; 13 February 2011 at 01:03.
Old 23 January 2011, 01:34   #2
Graham Humphrey

I have no idea or interest for this game so I'll let mihcael sort this one out when he gets here. We did talk about it but I don't get it at all, I've not even looked at this so it'd be wrong for me to be setting rules and things so I'll leave it to his more than capable hands.

However I do think it is an utterly ridculous game to be playing in a competition such as this one...
Old 23 January 2011, 04:07   #3
Anakirob
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
However I do think it is an utterly ridculous game to be playing in a competition such as this one...
I wholeheartedly agree, but the bright side is once it has been played, then we'll never have to play it again in the superleague.

It's a good game, I have finished it using all houses many times. Indeed I feel it's a bit easy, except for the last mission. But I have no idea how the score is calculated. For example, on the final mission I usually score somewhere in the region of 1,100 (Ruler of Arrakis). But the first time I completed it as Ordos, I was really struggling, getting thorougly pwned for most of the mission. And somehow managed to score somewhere in the reigion of 1,400 (Emporor).

Can someone shed some light on how score is calculated, so I can play for points. A quick and decisive victory seems to give a lower score than a struggle.
Old 23 January 2011, 04:25   #4
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

not played too much this game but one friend was on it day and night
Old 23 January 2011, 11:03   #5
mihcael
Zone Friend

Quote:
I have no idea or interest for this game so I'll let mihcael sort this one out when he gets here. We did talk about it but I don't get it at all, I've not even looked at this so it'd be wrong for me to be setting rules and things so I'll leave it to his more than capable hands.

The Rules are ...
Fastest Completion time for Level 8 playing any house using save games provided.

Save Disk ADF
Save Files for HD

The ADF is untested, sorry! The save files for HD can be used with a proper HD install or a WHDLoad install, just extraxt the files to the Data directory of DuneII. You may need to rename some files not to overwrite any existing save games that you may have. Hope this works out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakirob View Post
I wholeheartedly agree, but the bright side is once it has been played, then we'll never have to play it again in the superleague.
Wrong! Round 2 is an open round! This could be the first time we play the same game two weeks in a row!

Last edited by mihcael; 23 January 2011 at 11:09.
Old 23 January 2011, 11:24   #6
john4p
Competition Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihcael View Post
This could be the first time we play the same game two weeks in a row!
You mean six weeks.
Old 23 January 2011, 11:57   #7
Graham Humphrey

Cheers for sorting all that out Mike.

Although I think you'll find we've played plenty of games two weeks in a row
Old 23 January 2011, 12:14   #8
mihcael
Zone Friend

Thank you both! I meant 2 rounds! (and im not even certain that is true)

edit -Ill be happy when a few scores start rolling in! Only just realised drawn times is a possibility. But will be nice to see people scrapping it out for that extra minute!
Old 23 January 2011, 17:51   #9
mailman
Zone Friend

Completely ridiculous idea to play this game in the league. What if no one manages to complete the level? In other games that we played, even if you sucked you still was in the board and could earn some championship points.
Old 23 January 2011, 17:57   #10
Graham Humphrey

Er, so what is the objective for level eight then...?

I did sit down and play level one earlier, obviously it was easy enough to do. Haven't actually read any form of manual yet but it wasn't hard to grasp. But not knowing the mission briefing is going to make it more than a little tricky.
Old 23 January 2011, 18:10   #11
mailman
Zone Friend

Objective is to destroy both attacking houses (you can ask Mentat about it). Rules of the compo say that you have to do it in the quickest possible time. Problem is that doing this is not easy and many people might not be able to finish it at all.
Old 23 January 2011, 23:07   #12
mihcael
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
Objective is to destroy both attacking houses (you can ask Mentat about it). Rules of the compo say that you have to do it in the quickest possible time. Problem is that doing this is not easy and many people might not be able to finish it at all.
I choose level 8 because it is much much easier then the final level (9). There are players in the comp that are consistently beating some of the tougher amiga games, even never having played them. I was concerned that level 8 wouldn't provide enough challenge for some people. Guess we will see soon enough.
Old 24 January 2011, 00:00   #13
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

Not played this game before, but if it is similar to Command & Conquer and the ilk then I might enjoy it.

Regards,
Lonewolf10
Old 24 January 2011, 00:02   #14
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf10 View Post
Not played this game before, but if it is similar to Command & Conquer and the ilk then I might enjoy it.
Dune 2 is the ancestor of all C & C 'clones'. It created the basics of all the variations of RTS you see today.
Old 24 January 2011, 00:15   #15
mihcael
Zone Friend

Quote:
Not played this game before, but if it is similar to Command & Conquer and the ilk then I might enjoy it....
Biggest thing for you to get use to will be single select unit movement. There is no lasso to select mutliple units.
Old 24 January 2011, 09:00   #16
Graham Humphrey

Congratulations to mihcael who has won the round
Old 24 January 2011, 09:24   #17
mihcael
Zone Friend

Dont start!

People are going to love this round! Anakirob sounds keen and i would never right off rexsu or john4p.
Old 25 January 2011, 18:11   #18
Lonewolf10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Dune 2 is the ancestor of all C & C 'clones'. It created the basics of all the variations of RTS you see today.

Indeed. I only just noticed they were both made by Westwood Studios - until WS got bought up and then closed down

Added 26th Jan, 2011:

Err... just searched on Lemon Amiga for Dune II. There were OCS and ECS versions. Which are we supposed to be using (it runs horriblly slow on OCS with 68000)?

Regards,
Lonewolf10

Last edited by Lonewolf10; 26 January 2011 at 22:12.
Old 26 January 2011, 22:32   #19
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Err... just searched on Lemon Amiga for Dune II. There were OCS and ECS versions. Which are we supposed to be using (it runs horriblly slow on OCS with 68000)?
There's only one version. I cannot imagine there ever being separate OCS and ECS versions of a game
Old 26 January 2011, 23:59   #20
Lonewolf10

Quote:
There's only one version. I cannot imagine there ever being separate OCS and ECS versions of a game

Assuming only one game, I presume we play it on OCS with 68000 CPU?

I had one attempt tonight, which lasted 4 hours before I ended up being overpowered

Regards,
Lonewolf10