English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 05 August 2017, 09:56   #141
Gorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus66 View Post
And lots of new 1Meg Amiga owners reading AF and the other mags lol (why wont my coverdisk run on my 1 meg machine?!!!!)
This "problem" occurred already with the A500+

But it was not really Commodores fault, that programmers did pay little attention to the guidelines. Well ... Commodore should have "randomized" the location of ROM-modules on a regular basis, so developers would have been forced to use the jump-table from OS 1.2 on.

that only helped with the Kickstart problems, but not with the RAM configuration ... but again not CBMs fault.
Old 06 August 2017, 03:33   #142
amiga_Forever
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorf View Post
This "problem" occurred already with the A500+

But it was not really Commodores fault, that programmers did pay little attention to the guidelines. Well ... Commodore should have "randomized" the location of ROM-modules on a regular basis, so developers would have been forced to use the jump-table from OS 1.2 on.

that only helped with the Kickstart problems, but not with the RAM configuration ... but again not CBMs fault.
Anything you must follow, why should *they* stick out like a sore thumb, just because everyone else doesn't agree with?

There are probably many things Commodore should have done, but u could say the same why developers never adhere to their "standards"

It may be not the right way to do things, and cause issues such as this, but its their systems.. If they don't like it, why did they develop for it? Customer pressure or whatever may be a reason *because want x game or demo of mag to run on y machine*, but at the end of the day, its always going to be developer/software houses decision, no matter how great u think it is.

I actually don't blame Commodore either, I blame the programmers doing their own things... As the various magazines also pointed out, Commodore was loose on rules here as well.. They *allowed* it to happen. you could easily program a hook to say if a program code were to fall or reference outside this "space" crash the machine, if Commodore wanted to control it that bad, but its almost like they wanted it to happen. (Or there could have just been some technical reason why it was not possible to do this) which i doubt..
fyi, i would also include the A500 as well... that's still had these problems.

I also think Commodore didn't get the 'piracy problem'

In CD32 gamer Issue 1 (1994) Page 17, it was discussed with David Pleasance he said in relation to FMV module and VideoCD's "its extremely unlikely there will be piracy" which I laughed at...

True can never predict there will or won't be, but saying a new format like CD discs "extremely unlikely" there would be piracy is the biggest show stopper ever..... if he said "we are doing all we can" then that changes the whole thinking pattern.

Last edited by amiga_Forever; 08 August 2017 at 19:49.