English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 13 February 2009, 07:43   #1
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

Easynet & AExplorer

Hi All,

I want to do something relatively simple, I just want to back up my old Amiga 2000. I purchased Easynet from Amigakit.co.uk and had many problems trying to get it to run under WB 2.04, I would highly suspect it's more problems with my software than hardware. After many emails to Matthew at Amigakit, I finally dropped a new drive into the machine, upgraded the kickstart and installed WB 3.1, now Easynet installs and runs as it should.

*Note to Matthew, never got to the bottom of the 2.04 AmiTCP Crashes*

I have AExplorer installed on two PCs, one is running into a Belkin router, the other into a netgear, no matter what I try to do with the software, I get a persistant error of;

Error Reading From TCP/IP Connection.

Amiga Config is:

Amiga 2000, with GVP 030 Accelerator
KS 3, WB 3.1
Expanded RAM 9 Mb
1 Gb Drive
X-Surf Network Card

Amiga can ping the PC, PC can ping Amiga, Router is set to let every port through. Amiga can access the net, it downloaded the latest version of Easynet, when it was connected to the Belkin Router. AmiTCP version is 3.02 Beta 2, as shipped on the Easynet CD, BSDSOCKET.Library is 3.28, listed by Easynet when you connect. The current configuration is as below;

Amiga 2000 (192.168.2.9)---> Netgear DG834 Router (192.168.2.1) ---> PC (192.168.2.2 via DHCP )

When I try to use AExplorer, in this above configuration, I get the error listed above for the PC, but I get No Socket Error on the Amiga, AExplorer exits on the Amiga side. In the other configuration, when the Amiga is plugged into the Belkin Router, I don't get a No Socket Error, but I still get the Error Reading From TCP/IP Connection on the PC.

The error log for AExplorer is;

SYSTEM INFORMATION
PlatformId: 2
Version: 5.1
BuildNumber: 0x00000A28
CSDVersion: Service Pack 3
Shell32: 6.0.2900.5512
AExplorer: 2008.0.0.0

AEXPLORER PROPERTIES
Connection: TCP/IP (0 baud)
PacketSize: 512
MaxRetries: 50

Write Packet 2
> [30 bytes]
> 00 02 00 0E 00 00 00 01 3A 8A 40 B7 43 6C 6F 61 6E 74 6F 28
> 72 29 83 DC EF B7 59 E9 EC 0D
TCP/IP READ ERROR (DISCONNECT): code 0 (4 to read, timeout 5625)
> [4 bytes]
> 00 00 00 01
TCP/IP READ ERROR (DISCONNECT): code 0 (4 to read, timeout 5000)
Write Packet 109
TCP/IP WRITE ERROR: code 10053 (12 to write, timeout 5000)

If anyone can help me, I would be greatly appreciative,

Paul
Old 14 February 2009, 00:57   #2
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Try a different TCP/IP client such as Miami Deluxe
Old 14 February 2009, 01:21   #3
amigakit.com

Hello,

If you use some of EasyNet's in-built advanced features such as Connect To PC option, can you access PC shares ?
Old 14 February 2009, 10:32   #4
Loedown

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigakit.com View Post
Hello,

If you use some of EasyNet's in-built advanced features such as Connect To PC option, can you access PC shares ?
Ok, again, where would I find this option, do I look in the menu bar of the Easynet software, once the program is launched, do I find it as a separate program on the provided disc, if so, what is the program actually called?

If I try to call up the help file, it tells me it cannot be located, so I essentually have no manual, I'm flying blind.

If you go through the steps and believe me, I have installed the Easynet software exactly as it should be, just run the install script, then I may be able to get around these problems. I am no power user of Amiga, but know how to edit startup-sequence / user-startup, understand the need for Mountlist entries etc, but these damned ethernet problems are just causing me intense grief.

I received two discs for software, one is the driver disc, which includes some utilities, Samba etc, which I tried to get running, but again couldn't, I just don't have enough understanding of Amiga networks, PC, yes. The other one is the Easynet disc, which has some extra programs within it, but again, I have little to no idea about what is what or how it's to be used.

Thankyou,

Paul
Old 14 February 2009, 12:52   #5
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Hey man,

I'm running under the assumption that the reason you have an X-Surf & purchased EasyNet is because you wanted to get your Amiga online, yes? Well, you have accomplished that, which is good.

Is backing up to the PC via ethernet really that important to you? If not, just use null modem serial cable with Amiga Explorer (thinking that's what you mean by AExplorer).

PZ.
Old 14 February 2009, 13:31   #6
Loedown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingerlickin_B View Post
Hey man,

I'm running under the assumption that the reason you have an X-Surf & purchased EasyNet is because you wanted to get your Amiga online, yes? Well, you have accomplished that, which is good.

Is backing up to the PC via ethernet really that important to you? If not, just use null modem serial cable with Amiga Explorer (thinking that's what you mean by AExplorer).

PZ.
No, the reason I purchased Easynet was for the network capability, to be able to share the Amiga's drives with PC, for the express purpose of file transport. Backing up the Amiga drives is vitally important, if I don't manage to do it and the Amiga somehow loses it's HDD, I lose about 500 Octamed songs ( midi data ). I am going to convert them all to .mid tracks, so they can be imported into PC packages, I don't see why I would want to build a null modem cabel, or serial cable, or anything else when I have a TCP/IP solution. I can surf the net just fine from this PC.

I also now have around 400 discs to go through, searching for any old pictures from a friend of mine who died recently, his Mother is trying to retain as much of his artwork as she can, which is perfectly reasonable.

If I can get everything working, I have plenty of games / utils / software which I can happily .ADF for people and post.

Thanks,

Paul
Old 14 February 2009, 13:39   #7
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Fair enough Paul, that makes perfect sense...we just seem to be viewing the reasons for wired networking from different angles.

I back up my machines by other removable storage methods, but it sounds like you have an ass-load of stuff on your HDD compared to me!

All the best & hope you get it sorted

PZ.

p.s. Hello from my A2000 to your A2000...I am posting this with mine!
Old 14 February 2009, 15:12   #8
thomas

Quote:
Error Reading From TCP/IP Connection.
I tried AExplorer with AmiTCP V3 once and I didn't get it to work. SMBFS works perfectly, but not AExplorer. It works fine with Genesis or Miami, but not with AmiTCP V3 (didn't try V4).
Old 14 February 2009, 15:22   #9
Loedown

Excellent, Thomas, I'll give it a whirl with Miami, this is something that should be available from Cloanto,in regards to their known issues. Anyone else had similar issues?

Thanks,

Paul
Old 14 February 2009, 15:51   #10
amigakit.com

The latest EasyNet Help guide can be downloaded from EasyNet Live Update

When using EasyNet, goto Hosts Manager, setup a PC as a host, click on the Connect To.. button and the select the PC share to connect to.

See picture here for Connecting to a PC to exchange files:
http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...s/easynet4.jpg

You can also VNC to the PC in the same way, here is a picture of using Firefox on the Amiga's Workbench with EasyNet:
http://shop.amigakit.com/images/easynet-vnc-screen.jpg

Last edited by amigakit.com; 14 February 2009 at 17:15.
Old 15 February 2009, 02:36   #11
Loedown

I have just succeeded in transfering my first Amiga file to PC.

Huge thankyou, to whom I can assume is Matthew at Amigakit.co.uk.

Also many thanks to all others that made suggestions, I will install some other TCP/IP stacks and see if I can't get Amiga Explorer working.

I have three further questions, but these are far easier compared to getting the network running.

Q1. When a file(s) are copied to PC, if it's deleted on the PC side, why doesn't the Amiga update the folder, is there a way of setting up some form of handshaking so that the Amiga will see that a file has been deleted and update its folder automaticaly?

Q2. I can transfer from Amiga to PC, can the reverse be done with the Easynet software, if so, how?

Q3. What sort of error checking is available, for file comparison between what's copied and the original, if any?

Very Grateful,

Paul

Last edited by Loedown; 15 February 2009 at 02:57. Reason: Forgot a question
Old 15 February 2009, 09:27   #12
thomas

Quote:
Q1. When a file(s) are copied to PC, if it's deleted on the PC side, why doesn't the Amiga update the folder, is there a way of setting up some form of handshaking so that the Amiga will see that a file has been deleted and update its folder automaticaly?
Workbench never did this automatically you have to close and reopen the window.

Or use a directory tool like DirOpus or a Shell window.

Quote:
Q2. I can transfer from Amiga to PC, can the reverse be done with the Easynet software, if so, how?
You can certainly copy files in both directions, as long as the Amiga starts the transfer.

In order to see Amiga drives on the PC, you have to install Samba which will be very memory-hungry and very slow.

Amiga Explorer is another solution.

Quote:
Q3. What sort of error checking is available, for file comparison between what's copied and the original, if any?
You could use MD5 checksums or something like that.

But if you copy single files from the Amiga to the PC, you loose file information (protection bits, file notes). You should first archive files on the Amiga with LhA and then copy the LhA archives to the PC. Then you can test the archive on the PC to see if it was copied correctly.
Old 05 February 2014, 17:00   #13
Vicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loedown View Post
Excellent, Thomas, I'll give it a whirl with Miami, this is something that should be available from Cloanto,in regards to their known issues. Anyone else had similar issues?

Thanks,

Paul
I have the exact same issue.

Vicky