English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 18 March 2014, 13:19   #1
mark_k

Master floppy write protection setting cleared on loading config

If I check the Master floppy write protection box (in the Miscellaneous panel) then save the config, on loading that config later the master write protection box is clear. Is that by design?
Old 18 March 2014, 17:01   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

No, wrong config entry name was used when loading it...
Old 19 March 2014, 19:37   #3
mark_k

Thanks the setting now loads correctly with 2.7.1b11. However I noticed another problem.

If I load a config which has master floppy write protection enabled, start emulation, then disable master write protection, the emulated machine thinks the disk is still write-protected (but the write-protected box on floppy drives page is unchecked).

However if I load the same config, disable master write protection and then start emulation, I can write to the disk.
Old 19 March 2014, 20:39   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I think it was by design, sort of, at least it was easiest solution.

What should happen when disk are inserted in one or more drives and master protection state gets changed? Should all disk(s) get removed and re-inserted to sync protection state to AmigaOS? Bad things can happen if hardware protection state changes when disk is already in drive.
Old 20 March 2014, 10:44   #5
mark_k

Yep I understand you need to emulate a disk change when the write-protect state changes. But the current situation definitely has a bug (in the 4th point below):
  • Enable master write protection and start emulation. Boot a Workbench disk.
  • Once WB loads, disable master write protection and click OK. The emulated Amiga doesn't register a disk change. Even if the write-protected checkbox in floppy settings is clear, the disk is still write-protected.
  • Open settings window and check the write-protected checkbox in floppy settings and click OK. The emulated Amiga registers a disk change. The disk is still write-protected — which is correct at this point.
  • Open settings window again, un-check the write-protected checkbox and click OK. Emulated Amiga registers a disk change, but the disk is still write-protected. That's a bug I think.
I think the best way to handle master write protection being disabled after emulation has been started, is to set all floppy drive write-protected checkboxes. No disk changes would be needed when the user disables master write protection, since the disks remain write-protected. The user can then manually write-enable whichever drives they want.
Old 21 March 2014, 16:30   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I only said master protection can't be changed on the fly (does nothing) because it can cause bad side-effects.

Note that is has nothing to do with floppy write protection checkboxes (and won't and can't). It does exact same as real hardware switch that connects CIA write protection pin between ground (it is active low) and normal connection. Your floppy write protection tab won't magically move.