English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Apps

Old 14 July 2017, 19:13   #1
Photon

OK, I have a fast WB 1.3... software suggestions?

Chatted with an Amiga friend last night about it and there's no point really, but I tried it anyway.

[ Show youtube player ]

It's pretty easy out of the box, a blank CF card and Workbench disks and it worked. But will the FAT32 filesystem get me in trouble later on? Or is it usually np.

Back in the day I booted some utility disk and saved to DF1... and in 1991 I got a harddisk, but that was 2.0 and I don't really spend much time in Workbench as it is Mostly just to run WHDLoad, which I guess doesn't work at all on 1.3.

I have some games that I know could/should work as "sneaky harddisk installs", but mostly I'm after must-have "1.3 stuff" (fun things and utilities) & trimmings that you had back in the day.

It's about 3/4 as fast as an A3000, and I have 1MB Chip, so maybe some nice stuff you had on that should work?
Old 15 July 2017, 00:19   #2
gulliver
BoingBagged

Hi, I would use the best editor for 1.3 out there: Redit (Aminet, freeware inc. source)
Anaiis USB stack if you have USB Amiga compatible hardware. If not, it also has some usefull stuff which is all compatible with 1.3, like a reimplementation of the c:info command with large drive support.
I would also use (if you have compatible hardware), the scsi.device which works with 1.3, either via loadmodule or by a custom kickstart.
There was also a workbench replacement called Jazzbench (Aminet) which had some neat features.
Old 15 July 2017, 01:21   #3
EugeneNine

I remember having lha, powerpacker, protracker. There was something that gave dos command line history as well.
Old 15 July 2017, 13:10   #4
mark_k

Does Directory Opus 4 work on 1.3?
Old 15 July 2017, 14:17   #5
daxb

Yes and several other filemanager should do work and be able to show comments also.
Old 15 July 2017, 14:19   #6
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_k View Post
Does Directory Opus 4 work on 1.3?
Yes DOpus4 work on 1.3 (up to the official version commercial 4.12), you can see it HERE on my old filemanager review.

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 15 July 2017 at 14:26.
Old 15 July 2017, 20:28   #7
Photon

Installed MagicWB for the icons, not sure I like all of them. What's the best icon editor for loading, drawing and saving icons? The built-in one does the job, but it seems there would be a better one for 1.3?

Speaking about icons, is there an "auto-Cleanup" utility that make icons not overlap whenever you open a folder?
Old 16 July 2017, 02:35   #8
redblade
Zone Friend

On one of the later fish disks there are IanUtils. And when run it adds Amiga key keyboard shortcuts to the menu. I don't know why they didn't think of that when they first released Workbench.
Old 16 July 2017, 09:52   #9
jotd
This cat is no more

do you have fast memory and a hard drive? With 1.3 you could install JST & play a lot of WHDLoad slaves on kickstart 1.3.
Old 16 July 2017, 13:44   #10
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblade View Post
On one of the later fish disks there are IanUtils. And when run it adds Amiga key keyboard shortcuts to the menu. I don't know why they didn't think of that when they first released Workbench.
Cool, but it loads jumbled at first. It's very annoying

Am I being stupid? Shouldn't Snapshot restore the icons and window position the next time I open the folder??
Old 16 July 2017, 16:20   #11
klx300r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post

Am I being stupid? Shouldn't Snapshot restore the icons and window position the next time I open the folder??
yup but i'm 1.3 you have to snapshot each icon individually to work
Old 16 July 2017, 21:18   #12
Photon

Yeah or shift-select all of them and Snapshot them, I found out. Also check out noIconPos.
Old 17 July 2017, 01:03   #13
idrougge

WShell and ARexx. ARQ is a nice aesthetics enhancer.
Old 17 July 2017, 03:05   #14
redblade
Zone Friend

Quote:
Is the Text jumbled or are the Amiga Selection keys with the wrong options? It comes with the source code any which is very helpful .

If it's jumbled text I used to have that problem too on WinUAE when ever c:ff (fast fonts) used to run with max slow ram, all the text will be giberish.

There were also some Gadget hacks so you can change the default gadgets, I was looking at the 4sight gadgets on Irix any might try to change WB1.3 to those gadgets.
Old 19 July 2017, 16:51   #15
Twiggy
\m/

List of compatible software, if that helps. http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=52283
Old 21 July 2017, 00:05   #16
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
WShell and ARexx. ARQ is a nice aesthetics enhancer.
ARexx for 1.3? That's well cool but... no good for running Installers, I suppose. Cos those scripts themselves expect 2.0+.

Quote:
Is the Text jumbled
No, the icons.

Correct versions of FastFonts and FBlit are downloaded and on the list but not installed cos it's fast enough as it is, basically Don't see the point to install them tbh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
List of compatible software, if that helps. http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=52283
Yeah this was linked on Youtube and I installed a few of them in the second, equally flickery and horrible video.
Old 21 July 2017, 00:06   #17
idrougge

Quote:
ARexx for 1.3? That's well cool but... no good for running Installers, I suppose. Cos those scripts themselves expect 2.0+.
Installer uses a Lisp-like language, not ARexx.
Old 21 July 2017, 02:56   #18
redblade
Zone Friend

Quote:
Correct versions of FastFonts and FBlit are downloaded and on the list but not installed cos it's fast enough as it is, basically Don't see the point to install them tbh.
I'm interested where you found the correct versions of FastFonts. I never knew there was a patched version. Is it the FastFonts from Aminet?
Old 21 July 2017, 20:32   #19
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
Installer uses a Lisp-like language, not ARexx.
Wow, I always assumed Installer would have used ARexx. Assumptions are bad. Thx

Quote:
I'm interested where you found the correct versions of FastFonts. I never knew there was a patched version. Is it the FastFonts from Aminet?
The V1.31 from Microsmiths is what I've used on 1.3 - tested thoroughly on packdisks etc back in the day and also on harddisk with WB 2.0, but not in WB1.3.3 (yet, I'll get to it.) - it should work, don't know if it's the fastest fastfonts but I guess AIBB will tell me that. I put it in the Zone anyway.
Old 22 July 2017, 10:12   #20
andyhants

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
Yes DOpus4 work on 1.3 (up to the official version commercial 4.12), you can see it HERE on my old filemanager review.
Hi found your article on file mangers really helpful. I'm looking for a file manager that runs under WB 1.3 but that shows Comments for files as well as the usual stuff. I use comments to describe demos that are ordered by year with a year in each drawer.

Looking at your article it looks like most of the file managers have a button are adding / editing Comments so actually I'm thinking what I,m really looking for is a file manager for WB 1.3 that I can configure to show only 1 drawer so it takes up the whole width of the screen & so I,Ve got space to read the Comments as as file name, date etc. Do you know anything along those lines you could recommend ?

Thanks