English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 21 May 2018, 11:46   #2041
AMike

I've tested ScummVM_1.8_WOS_b4 from the zone. Unfortunatly the programm crashes on my Amiga4000 with CyberstormPPC. Any ideas? Many thanks.

Last edited by AMike; 07 October 2020 at 21:10.
Old 21 May 2018, 11:48   #2042
Cego

@nexus

dude, cut the crap. i have invested over 700 Euros for the sonnet g4 including taxes, shipping costs, rework, new ram and further modifications i had to make on my a4000 to make this card work. who the hell do you think you are to judge about my finances?

5V is indeed an issue because the A4000 motherboard wasn’t built for so much drainage that is needed for mediator, voodoo and sonnet. another issue is the cooling which in my case came with a few compromises

and btw, it’s my business where and when i offer my stuff for sale and not up to you to decide. got it? just because you (well mostly greblfarkl and hedeon) helped me on the issues i had, that doesn’t mean that YOU have any claim or power on my opinion or decisions.
If you are offended by it, so be it. It is a toy for me, a nice gimmick, so is the whole PPC stuff on classic incl. cyberstorm and blizzard cards. indeed the whole amiga hobby is a nice toy. Those cards are just underpowered and yes, even 400MHz (not 450) is too less. I have never said that the work you’ve done is stupid or worthless or anything else disrespecting your efforts. Quite the opposite and i have the greatest respect for that. and if you read all my posts you‘ll see exactly that in between the lines.

I can satisfy almost all of my daily demands with my MorphOS PPC system. There is a huge software base and fast enough CPUs for that. On the Sonnet it’s quite different and i came to realize that for my classic demands a PPC is just too much. I‘ll be happy with my MKII, run some Demos, play some WHDLoad games and watch MPG movies on my peggy plus card. you know, there are people on this planet who change their mind from time to time on certain topics. not quite common but it happens.

Last edited by Cego; 21 May 2018 at 13:27.
Old 21 May 2018, 13:10   #2043
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMike View Post
I've tested ScummVM_1.8_WOS_b4 from the zone. Unfortunatly the programm crashes on my Amiga4000 with CyberstormPPC. Any ideas? Many thanks.

Try increasing stack and launching via CLI.
stack 5000000

ScummVM_WOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULI View Post
I'm using Delfina Flipper (clock port for Zorro) and it works great with Sonnet (play Quake + mp3), but in FroggerNG when play bigger movies (biger resolutions mpeg2, DivX etc) with hardware decoding option give lag voice and distorted sound :-(
But when play mpeg 1 video (VCD), hardware decoding work great with Sonnet and Delfina Flipper
That was a combination I was very curious about-shame that it doesn't work right.

Last edited by grelbfarlk; 21 May 2018 at 13:16.
Old 21 May 2018, 16:16   #2044
AMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
Try increasing stack and launching via CLI.
stack 5000000

ScummVM_WOS
Thanks - but that doesn't help.
Old 21 May 2018, 17:58   #2045
nexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cego View Post
@nexus

dude, cut the crap. i have invested over 700 Euros for the sonnet g4 including taxes, shipping costs, rework, new ram and further modifications i had to make on my a4000 to make this card work. who the hell do you think you are to judge about my finances?

5V is indeed an issue because the A4000 motherboard wasn’t built for so much drainage that is needed for mediator, voodoo and sonnet. another issue is the cooling which in my case came with a few compromises

and btw, it’s my business where and when i offer my stuff for sale and not up to you to decide. got it? just because you (well mostly greblfarkl and hedeon) helped me on the issues i had, that doesn’t mean that YOU have any claim or power on my opinion or decisions.
If you are offended by it, so be it. It is a toy for me, a nice gimmick, so is the whole PPC stuff on classic incl. cyberstorm and blizzard cards. indeed the whole amiga hobby is a nice toy. Those cards are just underpowered and yes, even 400MHz (not 450) is too less. I have never said that the work you’ve done is stupid or worthless or anything else disrespecting your efforts. Quite the opposite and i have the greatest respect for that. and if you read all my posts you‘ll see exactly that in between the lines.

I can satisfy almost all of my daily demands with my MorphOS PPC system. There is a huge software base and fast enough CPUs for that. On the Sonnet it’s quite different and i came to realize that for my classic demands a PPC is just too much. I‘ll be happy with my MKII, run some Demos, play some WHDLoad games and watch MPG movies on my peggy plus card. you know, there are people on this planet who change their mind from time to time on certain topics. not quite common but it happens.
again you are wrong if you like to discuss why you can pm me as i dont need you derailing the thread anymore with nonsense
Old 21 May 2018, 18:22   #2046
Cego

i have already been warned about you and your methods in the past. Please don't bother me any further and stop blaming me for derailing the thread, when you're the one who actually started bragging about this in several forums in the first place. Thank you.

btw, Sonnet and Mediator are sold.
Old 21 May 2018, 18:46   #2047
nexus

Quote:
i have already been warned about you and your methods in the past. Please don't bother me any further and stop blaming me for derailing the thread, when you're the one who actually started bragging about this in several forums in the first place. Thank you.

btw, Sonnet and Mediator are sold.
excuse me?bragging about what?
elaborate?
methods in the past lol guy you are funny i have no past on any forums
and you keep saying several forums i like to know these places you keep makin up
and im glad its sold maybe someone will appreciate it
Old 21 May 2018, 19:15   #2048
nexus

now what im am curious about is those with 5v mediators that are having stability issues at this moment
i want to make sure that the vrm mod on sonnet isnt producing noise that could cause stability issues
just fyi on diy soldering that vrm a cold solder joint could also cause current/voltage issues so if adding that yourself dont be shy with the flux and their should never be a bubble of solder
many youtubes vids showing how a joint should look afterwards

Last edited by nexus; 21 May 2018 at 19:22.
Old 21 May 2018, 19:27   #2049
nexus

might just make a test system with these other configs people are using so ill just turn one of my mediators into a 5v then do mods to sonnet see what else maybe going on

it is possible that there are some bad vrm's that could be causing this
could be fakes etc etc
so if you buy one make sure to try and buy from a reputable retailer newark/mouser/digikey etc

Last edited by nexus; 21 May 2018 at 19:46.
Old 21 May 2018, 19:54   #2050
Cego

@nexus

what’s so hard to understand when i say „don’t bother me any further“? I really don’t care about your whining. Live with it.
Oh and if you got something to say, take your own advice and stop spamming this thread and write me a PM. Maybe i‘ll response, but only if you behave like a good boy.
Old 21 May 2018, 20:18   #2051
nexus

Quote:
@nexus

what’s so hard to understand when i say „don’t bother me any further“? I really don’t care about your whining. Live with it.
Oh and if you got something to say, take your own advice and stop spamming this thread and write me a PM. Maybe i‘ll response, but only if you behave like a good boy.
still here?why?let the boys play with their toys
think you are just mad/salty you couldnt go ultra instinct lol still need a scouter too see these power levels

Last edited by nexus; 21 May 2018 at 20:36.
Old 21 May 2018, 21:04   #2052
Cego

uhm, yeah you nailed it...

not.
Old 21 May 2018, 21:09   #2053
nexus

anyways can everyone here with stability issues state the setup they are using so i can try to recreate myself
sonnet or rapture

dont buy this card unless you plan on modding it or the mediator http://www.dyneng.com/pci2pmc.html as it only gives 1.5amps and dont buy any with a bridge chip

Last edited by nexus; 21 May 2018 at 21:15.
Old 21 May 2018, 22:27   #2054
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
Did you play with the swap jumper on the Mediator at all? Is it when the Toccata is active or just once it's inserted in the system?
Not a big deal, I'm just curious.
No, I didn't change the swap jumper - just left it in the default position which is jumper on I think. The system went unstable just with the Toccata in the Zorro slot - random exceptions/lock ups. Weird because I previously had a FastATA in there which must have drawn some current too, but there you are.
Old 21 May 2018, 23:02   #2055
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler View Post
No, I didn't change the swap jumper - just left it in the default position which is jumper on I think. The system went unstable just with the Toccata in the Zorro slot - random exceptions/lock ups. Weird because I previously had a FastATA in there which must have drawn some current too, but there you are.

That's sort of the behavior I see when SWAP jumper is not correct or when mixing certain kinds of Zorro cards with PCI. You might try changing it and giving it another try-or not if you're tired of playing with it.
Old 21 May 2018, 23:05   #2056
trixster
Guru Meditating

Wrangler, you've tried the Toccata in the system without the rapture also in there? Did the seller mention any instabilities, or sold as fully working? Want me to give it a try in my A3000?
Old 21 May 2018, 23:57   #2057
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMike View Post
Thanks - but that doesn't help.

Looking into it, I fired up my lowly 200MHz CSPPC and confirmed the issue-which I guess is good because I was worried CyberGraphX was to blame. At least it's sort of doing the same thing here.
Old 22 May 2018, 01:45   #2058
nexus

so no one has hardware stability issues anymore i take it? im guessing everyone with a rapture is using a ramix 239/f?

Last edited by nexus; 22 May 2018 at 02:00.
Old 22 May 2018, 02:05   #2059
trixster
Guru Meditating

We could do with a list to show what hw people have. It would be interesting to see how many have a rapture set up now.
Old 22 May 2018, 02:07   #2060
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixster View Post
We could do with a list to show what hw people have. It would be interesting to see how many have a rapture set up now.

You just had to one-up me again... I see how it is. I'll... why I'll... add mood lighting to my A4000. And chrome.