English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 27 May 2012, 20:29   #1
diablothe2nd

What would it cost to make an A1200 today?

I'm guessing it'll be alot more expensive than doing it in FPGA, but i'm just curious.

A few assumptions:

-You're a company with a few million to burn on large production runs and staff.
-Chips that aren't available anymore to be price compared with their nearest counterpart (even if in reality it wouldn't work)

Do you think it'd come in under £100 these days?
Old 27 May 2012, 20:50   #2
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

im figuring even at the lowest price possible it wouldnt drop below a console of about £125

But even if you compare with a low budget laptop thats in production...all parts available to the manufacturer....common seller.....even thats about £175 minimum on a good day and i would bet 2 out of 5 laptops prduced are free profit to them.....but lappys still linger around the £299
Old 27 May 2012, 20:57   #3
diablothe2nd

the problem I think comparing it to laptops is that the screen is most of the cost.

Slightly off topic, aside from the RasPi (mine should arrive soon :P) are there computers still around that are basically like an amiga/speccy/etc (keyboard, connections for a TV/monitor and peripherals, media drive)? this is why the RasPi I think is doing so well... pretty much everyone owns a TV, so why not give the kids a fully working computer with keyboard to plug into the lounge TV or their bedroom TV if they're fortunate enough to have one the Raspi is awesome, cheap, small.. but you need to spend extra on a keyboard, mouse and psu. it's not quite an All-in-one PC
Old 27 May 2012, 23:39   #4
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

your right about the screen but il bet they dont pay much more than $20 for each one....il still bet the whole laptop cost the manufacturer about $100 all in ( once in full production of course )

I dont think its what they could sell it for its what they know they could get. My first home DVD player cost me £350....Who would have thought you can now get a player for £9:99. Probably the most successful....unsuccessfull product ever devised...everyone now has one and now they are worth peanuts.

In fact a family tub of KP Peanuts does actually cost more

But somehow they keep Laptops hovering around the same price so im guessing an Amiga remake would have to be kept at a set price for a limited market....Cheap to produce but held at a big price...

But in full production the price to the manufacturer i would agree with you at just below $100

BTW...Where can i get a Raspi ??
Old 27 May 2012, 23:46   #5
diablothe2nd

I've been in the preorder queue for a few months now, and i only registered my interest an hour after they took requests!

There are two companies but I managed to get my order in with these guys as the other one's site just completely went belly up:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/generalD...id=raspberrypi

EDIT - just found out today that in addition to XMBC (the main reason for getting one) AROS is/will be ported to the RasPi
Old 28 May 2012, 02:16   #6
rampartsagain

some of these guys like amiga one and ppc are a little mindless because chips and electronics from china are like nothing on final price,they just figure out how much they must put for persons to pay and don´t get me tgose crappy explanation about hundred of ours assmbling language and fpga´s ,for me that is crap ,nobody asked them to lose time and work on those board ,they did because they whant and now are trying to gain money,simple and clear.
like major brand names pay the mark like 90 percent inside 10 percent cost and logo made in china.
Old 28 May 2012, 13:31   #7
S0ulA55a551n

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablothe2nd View Post
I've been in the preorder queue for a few months now, and i only registered my interest an hour after they took requests!

There are two companies but I managed to get my order in with these guys as the other one's site just completely went belly up:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/generalD...id=raspberrypi

EDIT - just found out today that in addition to XMBC (the main reason for getting one) AROS is/will be ported to the RasPi
got mine a week ago
Old 28 May 2012, 17:47   #8
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ulA55a551n View Post
got mine a week ago
Lucky you, I registered my interest something like 3 months ago and still nothing
Old 28 May 2012, 18:50   #9
gilgamesh
Linux snob

The prices for memory imploded and processors are dirt cheap. Most costly would be the production of chipsets and assembly.

If you don't like FPGAs, then you could make it into a conventional system on a chip with hardwired logic. But that's probably not what you had in mind.
Old 28 May 2012, 18:53   #10
diablothe2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgamesh View Post
But that's probably not what you had in mind.
I was just contemplating it as an exact replica. but I'm curious what it would cost to be done with SoC if you have any ideas?
Old 28 May 2012, 19:24   #11
gilgamesh
Linux snob

That depends completely on the size of your production run. At some point they become cheaper than FPGAs. They could get down to a couple of bucks. But that would be a really large production run.
Old 28 May 2012, 19:25   #12
diablothe2nd

Quote:
That depends completely on the size of your production run.
As I said, assumptions are you're a company with a few million to burn on large production runs and staff
Old 28 May 2012, 19:39   #13
gilgamesh
Linux snob

C64 DTV came for little more than €25. I think if you double that price you can't be too far off the mark.
Old 10 June 2012, 16:41   #14
ImmortalA1000

Quote:
The prices for memory imploded and processors are dirt cheap. Most costly would be the production of chipsets and assembly.

If you don't like FPGAs, then you could make it into a conventional system on a chip with hardwired logic. But that's probably not what you had in mind.
Amiga ASIC based system like C64DTV? Very possible and for about $40-50 for motherboard. Case and keyboard=expensive.

JE was far enough on this to replace OCS chipset in an A500 motherboard, and she said it was a lot less complex than replicating all the quirks in a C64 VIC-II and SID chip to be honest.