English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 20 August 2002, 06:09   #61
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Well, I am into the MSX scene even more than into the Amiga scene, and I can validate what Akira said.
People are only interested in Ciel3++ because it has backwards compatibility. Ascii is planning to release a new computer in near future (They are claiming to be the new jap computer to take the world.. ), and they are yet to decide if the name MSX will be on it or not. But from what people saw of the projects, backwards compatibiltiy with MSX is something they don't seem to be interested in doing. What machine you think MSX users are more interested, the Ciel3++ or this new Ascii machine ?

I would REALLY like to see a way of make old software in work A1, but I probably won't buy an A1 soon, so maybe I am not the right person to ask. Anyway, you can count me on the demand too

I don't have much to add at all, Akira said pretty much what I think about this in his last post
Old 20 August 2002, 09:05   #62
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by Shatterhand
Ascii is planning to release a new computer in near future [...] and they are yet to decide if the name MSX will be on it or not
This is GREAT. At least they consider not naming it MSX after all. I think the A1 shouldn't have been named AmigaOne. Why not call it something else? like "BollocksThirteen" but add a "POWERED BY AMIGAOS" thing on it, or "AmigaOS INSIDE". That would have been much smart and would have saved me a lot of moaning and ranting
Quote:
I would REALLY like to see a way of make old software in work A1, but I probably won't buy an A1 soon, so maybe I am not the right person to ask. Anyway, you can count me on the demand too
I suppose the A1 will get a port of UAE, so it'll run old software through it.
Old 20 August 2002, 09:30   #63
oldpx

Quote:
If anybody decides things like that, it's the owner of the trademark.
Sure and we are the people who can decide whether or not to agree with them. You do, I don't. They would as well have decided to make an x86 machine and called it an amiga for they had the right but as we both know amithlon is not half amiga, I say A1 is not either. You don't have to agree, we should agree on we disagree
Quote:
Well, apart from you there were two members actually stating that
We can always make a poll.
Quote:
Sure, that's why we visit this board. But once again: The AmigaOne is no retro-computer.
I never wanted amiga to be a retro computer at the first place but now I see it from a different point. amiga is alive because there are people still remember it with good memories yet 286 PCs are just dead. Will A1 be a retrocomputer in 10 years or will it just be dead as well?
Quote:
Do you honestly think this is a viable business model? Would you buy such a card, at that price?
I say would not be surprised when someone else offers this kind of solution and succeeds
Quote:
I'm not sure if Burseg ever spent money on new hardware/software directly bought at an Amiga supplier (that's not meant as an offense, Burseg!). I somewhat doubt that he'd suddenly rush for an $700 custom chip compatible A1 motherboard if a $40 A1200 provides the same functionality in the area that is important to him
I'm living in Turkey there have been no new amiga hardware dealers for years and there have never been software dealers, this is the piracy heaven 700$ is an estimated value but let's accept it this way. I don't plan to get a machine that I don't like even if it's free and as I previously stated many times even though eyetech is not financially able, I don't believe in their will to meet my needs so that's reason enough not to be positive towards the A1 project. This feature would make me believe the A1 machine is mature enough to be taken seriously. I don't pay 700 just to a feature but to a machine that I believe in it's quality.

I think I have already made all my points this discussion doesn't seem to be constructive for a while :/

Old 20 August 2002, 09:44   #64
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Ok, I should have said "I really want a way to use old software with 100% compatibility"

UAE can't give me that...It's a very good emulator, but we all know it has its problems.

I want to play Frontier ,F1GP and Wing Commander on an A1 with blazing speed

OH! Maybe even S.T.U.N. Runner could be good if it was running in a 600Mhz processor!
Old 20 August 2002, 09:56   #65
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Here's what I wanna know: what exactly does the old school Amiga community expect of new hardware? They already have machines that adequately run their old software, so a new machine would be met with "Why do I need this when I already have this?". So what would be motivating factors in a new machine purchase? Maybe an empty board that you can plug existing custom chips into from an unused Amiga? (that might defray the cost of producing them new)

I keep hearing what people don't want, but never what they do want.
Old 20 August 2002, 10:24   #66
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

I dunno Twist, maybe they want to use their old apps/games and not have to rely on dying machines whose parts are scarcer and more expensive than comparable PC hardware. Just a guess tho.
Old 20 August 2002, 10:39   #67
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by Burseg
I don't plan to get a machine that I don't like even if it's free
Hey, for free, I would take most anything except PCs
Old 20 August 2002, 10:44   #68
Amiga1992

With all the facts that are now on the table about the Amiga One, I can say for sure what I expect from new hardware: nothing. I am not a potential buyer of the AmigaOne anymore.

What I would have liked to see, though, is the name "amiga" to not be related with this machine, but this is somethig very stupid marketing-wise, since the name is full of recognition and trajectory. This is just what I would like to not hurt my hardcore classic Amiga love.

As I said, I'll be sticking with my "legacy" hardware. It does all that I need.
Old 20 August 2002, 10:54   #69
oldpx

Akira said all for me

Old 20 August 2002, 12:49   #70
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Burseg and Amiga eloquently drew my point. Horrid marketing. How many of those 900 suckers (a few of these are on this board,) who shelled out fiddy bucks feel the way my two good buddies here feel? I'd say a good chunk. Amiga Bowelmovement Inc.
No, Fecal Amiga Corp.
How about Rotting Pig Cadaver Amiga Inc?
Would you believe....Never mind.

Someone deserves a PIMPSLAP
Old 20 August 2002, 12:57   #71
blackcornflake

I'm no sucker foo.

I didn't send Amiga my $50 in the end.

Can we please stop speculating about something that has yet to appear? My head hurts.
Old 20 August 2002, 13:19   #72
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Done. I have had my share of beating up this dead future can of Alpo.
Finit.
Old 20 August 2002, 16:26   #73
IanS

Evolution

Akira. I agree that emulation isn't perfect. I have a 1200 that doesn't run some genuine Amiga games though, so perfection isn't possible. Look around you and see what software sells to the home markets. Do you see Spectrum games, MSX games, Atari 8 bit gamees for sale in the local comuter store? We often bought those early 80s and 90s games because they were ADVANCED in their day. If games like Quake 3, UT, C&C clones etc etc etc were crap... nobody would buy them. People do not produce games for old, outdated hardware, no matter what you and I would wish. What would be the point? Your retro scene is tiny compared to the installed user base that exists for PCs and Apples. Like it or not, that is the way it is. The Amiga didn't start out being recognised for it's superb OS, it was noted for it's graphics, sound and associated games capabilities. A moniker that it was suck with for too long maybe, but nobody walked in to the shop and said "nice OS" they said "wow... look at that game!" or some such.

Frederic

"I can't stand sanctimonious, smarmy, weak little nit pickers, kid. "

I'm not a kid, I'm a reasonably well educated adult and I'm a firm believer that if you want to communicate, you should do it properly. Just because you aren't able or can't be bothered to, doesn't make it right. I hope your business sense is better than your grammar. And what makes you think I am weak my friend? In what sense would that be?

If you're not sure of the difference between "bad" and "wrong" go and find a dictionary.

At this time, you can't buy an Amiga One, with an Amiga OS, and apps to run on it. They do need to make people aware of the forthcoming computer via the computing press, but until they have something more substantial, it would be wasted money at this time. If the product can't be bought for another 6 months, people will have given up or forgotten. For a student of business, I find your lack of insight quite amusing.

I would like the A1 to succeed. I really hope that like it forbearer, it can be revolutionary and not just an evolutionary step. I doubt it because it's based on mediocre technology that is easily outpaced by Apples and PCs, it doesn't have the marketing power of Microsoft, and the market is already saturated. The BeBox, Next machines and others failed too, and they had advantages in terms of both H/W and O/S.

Give it a rest and talk about something more important than yesteryears memories!
Old 20 August 2002, 17:46   #74
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Look everyone!
its that geeky grammerian again!

See? A smarmy sanctamoniuos little toad.

Last edited by Fred the Fop; 20 August 2002 at 18:00.
Old 20 August 2002, 18:39   #75
IanS

Hmmm... I was under the impression that this was the "English Amiga Board". Perhaps you ought to try using English, rather than making up new words as you go along? Maybe you just don't actually have anything worthwhile to say? I'd rather be a "A smarmy sanctamoniuos little toad" than like you... a complete A-hole. All you do on here is criticise, but you can't even justify your comments, nor can you come up with real alternatives and needs to resort to name calling instead. You're just a self appointed business 'expert' who probably still needs his mum to change his nappy each morning. Happy computing little boy... don't choke on your dummy.
Old 20 August 2002, 19:13   #76
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 20 August 2002, 19:47   #77
IanS

Old 21 August 2002, 00:35   #78
Puzzle

Quote:
Originally posted by Unknown_K

What we have here is a software company trying to make hardware and slapping an AMIGA nameplate on it. What they should have done was liscence the old 1200 chipsets from whoever owns them and have a batch of chips manufactured in asia somewhere.
Actually, none of the chip-manufacturers are able to make those chips anymore. The reason is that the manufacturing-process for today's chips is different, and the manufactures have thrown out their old equipment.

Or so I've read somewhere.

Somewhat off-topic, but still relevant: Have you seen the pictures from Commodore's chip-plant (from the auction-brochedure? The URL is:

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://.../commodore.htm

I had to use http://www.archive.org's "wayback"-service, as it appears that the original webpage has been removed.

Also, it appears that Commodore Semiconductor Group had problems with pollution...

http://epa.gov/reg3hwmd/super/PA/commodore/pad.htm
Old 21 August 2002, 01:34   #79
AdamSelene

Even if true, the designs can be licensed, and modified to be produced using modern techniques, probably even condensing several different chips into to one.

Old 21 August 2002, 05:05   #80
Amiga1992

Yes, like in the CommodoreOne! One chip has it all

But they don't care, so this will never happen. Besides, didn't Gateway stuck to the licenses for all the Amiga hardware? Those fuckers...