English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 02 November 2008, 04:23   #101
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
alas, if i understand mechanics, i'm not a coder,

i have all the GFX of final fight extracted with turaco, but without the right colors.
what tools did you used to get the colors ?

Every CPS1 rom code is compressed, as well as the GFX tiles (check winkawaks for instance ).

what could have been able to do if you had 8 mb of chip ? lool
Old 11 November 2008, 16:21   #102
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Cool

Belated though this is, just adding to the warm greetings to RichAplin!
Although I've aired my misgivings on the some of the stuff missing from Amiga Final Fight in the past, I did admire that a decent go was made to try & get the "big sprite" feel of the original across. Between the gfx & music, at least your efforts were better than galahad's beloved tiertex's ST-ports.

Although it's always easy to look back from latter-day perspective, given hardware/time limitations etc, would it had really made a difference say going for smaller sprites/more animation?

Was there anything you would've liked to have incorporated in had time permitted it? And as per Galahad's post, one of the funniest Amiga cheat sequences/rants ever!
Old 12 November 2008, 16:12   #103
jotd
This cat is no more

Hi Richard and congratulations about both excellent ports (when it comes to GFX) which are Double Dragon 2 & Final Fight.

I'd like to say that one very good protection is Unreal (Vice Protect). It took 35 hours work to Harry to break it. I've got the details from Harry somewhere, I'll post them if I can. And of course the game was 68000 only, like most of the heavily protected games using big hacks such as stack fiddling, trace mode...

Slightly off-topic, one of the lamest protections is a version of Nightshift, where the diskcheck was done in a modified version of Powerpacker executable header: decompressing the executable cracked the game. I did that without even noticing
Old 27 November 2008, 17:10   #104
h0ffman

Surely the lamest protection ever was it came from the desert?
Old 27 November 2008, 23:52   #105
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

was that the protected echo command in startup-sequence? *sfg*

Duplicated with cyclone, then deleted everything, used as a basis for my tool disk. A friend of mine got crazy trying to copy the damn thing... ;-)

Cheers!

Btw: more info on Unreal please. Was able to copy with X-Copy alone, so the disk protect was not very effective.

Best,
Chris
Old 28 November 2008, 01:30   #106
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.vince View Post
was that the protected echo command in startup-sequence? *sfg*

Duplicated with cyclone, then deleted everything, used as a basis for my tool disk. A friend of mine got crazy trying to copy the damn thing... ;-)

Cheers!

Btw: more info on Unreal please. Was able to copy with X-Copy alone, so the disk protect was not very effective.

Best,
Chris
Unreal had stupid amounts of checksums and self modifying code. The programmer did *NOT* want it cracked!
Old 28 November 2008, 06:22   #107
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Yes some games even protected can be copied to disk, but the program in itself is protected like a fortress.

Look at tearaway thomas, no disk protection, but well try to get your paws into the code, hehehe isnt it Galahad ?
Old 28 November 2008, 08:45   #108
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Unreal had stupid amounts of checksums and self modifying code. The programmer did *NOT* want it cracked!
Ok, that's what I assumed... at least, it did not help either but prevents the game from running on CPUs with cache... Does not work on a 68020+ with caches enabled, does it?

Chris
Old 28 November 2008, 10:19   #109
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.vince View Post
Ok, that's what I assumed... at least, it did not help either but prevents the game from running on CPUs with cache... Does not work on a 68020+ with caches enabled, does it?

Chris
I doubt it, but then A500 was a games programmers only concern.

Just ask one Richard Aplin...... Double Dragon 2 *cough* *cough*
Old 28 November 2008, 10:20   #110
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
Yes some games even protected can be copied to disk, but the program in itself is protected like a fortress.

Look at tearaway thomas, no disk protection, but well try to get your paws into the code, hehehe isnt it Galahad ?
Didn't actually take me long at all
Old 28 November 2008, 11:33   #111
WayneK

That's because you (cleverly) bypassed the main decryption :P Has anyone decrypted this one manually? It looked like a bit of a beast, I'm not sure it can be done without a full disassembly engine in your decrypter, and a semi-intelligent patching routine to deal with the various methods of using the status register in the decryption...
Old 28 November 2008, 11:48   #112
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

yes, i guess that getting the code decrypted is very hard.... it must be a beast to do.
Old 28 November 2008, 12:41   #113
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneK View Post
That's because you (cleverly) bypassed the main decryption :P Has anyone decrypted this one manually? It looked like a bit of a beast, I'm not sure it can be done without a full disassembly engine in your decrypter, and a semi-intelligent patching routine to deal with the various methods of using the status register in the decryption...
Yup, and I did it two ways as well, just to show how 'not hard' it was.

First time I decrypted it completely, and just to show it could be done, I then left all the encryption in and modified one word of the data so that it would remove the BNE instruction to something else thus cracking the doc check, but alas, the decryption wouldn't operate correctly on 020+ so it had to be junked.

As someone once said in a startup-sequence, you can't possibly counter all the mad ways crackers will think of to defeat a protection
Old 08 March 2009, 20:47   #114
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
I'd like to say that one very good protection is Unreal (Vice Protect). It took 35 hours work to Harry to break it. I've got the details from Harry somewhere, I'll post them if I can. And of course the game was 68000 only, like most of the heavily protected games using big hacks such as stack fiddling, trace mode...
Hi, some time has passed... did you find the notes you were looking for? Just curious...
Old 14 March 2009, 01:18   #115
Skope
Protracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
As far as I remember mate, you did a HD Install version from it, I certainly don't remember a 1 disk version as I physically could not compress the data better than Factor 5 did.
Just curious, isn't there a cruncher around today that would do the job? Not that there's any reason at all to do a 100% 1-disk version at this point in time, but still, just wondering if it can be done using current crunchers.
Old 14 March 2009, 03:31   #116
WayneK

I did a test-crunch with UPX and from what I remember that got it down enough to fit on 1-disk... but like you said, no reason to bother making a 'new' 1disk version really... a motivation problem more than a compression one
Old 14 March 2009, 12:19   #117
Claw22000

Once the net came about anti piracy really had a hay day...

COD
Guildwars
WOW
Ect...

All you really have to do is make sure your patrons sign up and put there CD codes in to prove they bought it. After they activate a name and password account they have access as long as internet exists. And lets face it who that owns a computer or major game system doesn't have internet these days... seriously... Makes you buy a game always.
Old 14 March 2009, 12:21   #118
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claw22000 View Post
Makes you buy a game always.
Or just don't play these games There are still enough games that can be played the 'oldskool' way...
Old 07 August 2009, 01:32   #119
JohnnyWalker
aka ThunderPeel2001

Wow, what an awesome thread this turned into! I always thought that Final Fight rocked! (Also, I liked how you reinserted the slightly risqué shot of Haggar's daughter from the Japanese version of the arcade -- subsequently cut from UK and US arcade versions.)
Old 10 August 2009, 12:42   #120
AB Positive
kachou ON!

I think the real question is -> Is Poison a man or a woman in Final Fight (Amiga)?

Because Japan and Capcom made things waaaaay complicated on plot canon in that regard.