English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 19 March 2015, 00:21   #21
8bitbubsy

^ Finally a realistic post @ mjnurney

Why give Commodore 100% positive attention all the time? Their products were already getting outdated by the early 90s, and they didn't have the best product strategy in the world (shows, they got bankrupt). They did have some killer products though - the Amiga 1000, 2000 and 500. EDIT: And of course the Commodore 64, how could I forget that one.

A bit off-topic:
I can barely imagine anything more annoying than fanboy Amigans that think that the platform is still superior, and even using it as their only desktop machine... I will probably get quoted now, by some brainwashed religious Amigan that gets information about the Amiga online, shuffling a bit on the text making it look like his own, not knowing anything about the hardware.
"Four (!!TWICE-STEREO!!) 14-bit channels Sophisticated (Low Noise DAC) Audio Resampler w/ Crystal Sharp 0.005 *million* Hertz Low-Pass filter and 2/3-channel state-of-the-art amplitude/frequency modulation, 12-bit "Carefully Picked Natural Color" pixels, Steady Never-Stuttering High-Resolution Mouse System (the best paint artists would never go back!!!), fantastic OS w/ no crashes, no waiting time, no "BLOAT" program Installers, possible to format four drives at once WOW try that on a PC!! loser" etc...

Even a PPC expanded A1200 w/ all possible upgrades is a big hack, there is nothing sophisticated about an overly expanded Amiga. Outdated platform on life-support... Sure it's a fun hobby though, but there is so much BS getting spread about Amiga "still being" revolutionary. Let me not get started on the new "Amiga" (why do they even call it Amiga?) computers that are insanely overpriced and has ancient hardware inside.

Last edited by 8bitbubsy; 19 March 2015 at 00:29.
Old 19 March 2015, 10:25   #22
Hewitson

Another man that no one will ever know is Dennis Ritchie. His contribution to computing was worth a million times more than anything Gates or Jobs ever did. I was actually glad when Jobs died, he was a dishonest, lying scumbag who made his money from deceiving people and ripping off other peoples ideas.
Old 19 March 2015, 11:09   #23
Asle

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade002 View Post
... and the worlds first truly multitasking and efficient operating enviroment!.
uh ?
Old 19 March 2015, 11:53   #24
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
@Asle : yes as home family computers.
Old 19 March 2015, 12:40   #25
spiff
Oh noes!

Isn’t it pretty much spot on though, bringing (desktop computing) to the masses?

Mac and amiga used locked down hardware and the ps/2 IBM platform meant that we had cheap clone hardware that quickly would develop. Several OSes tried and failed to keep up with desktop requirements, windows came through (gaming, media publishing, music creation etc).

And while innovation is great, working and good enough is just that, what the masses need. While windows isn’t the best, it was almost always good enough (compared to, doesn't run, needs to compile etc) and thats what counts in the long run.

This may change to runs in chrome eventually, but 93-2010 was pretty much runs on windows.
Old 19 March 2015, 15:59   #26
haps
Rumpig

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade002 View Post
the worlds first truly multitasking and efficient operating enviroment!.
????

As much as I love my amiga, even I don't don rose tinted glasses thick enough to proclaim such.
Old 19 March 2015, 18:56   #27
Paul_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by haps View Post
????

As much as I love my amiga, even I don't don rose tinted glasses thick enough to proclaim such.
Whilst probably not the first multi-tasking computer it did a fairly good job (they demoed the multi tasking capabilities at the 1985 launch - it's on Youtube).

You only have to look at the alternatives around 1985 - the Amiga was at least 5 - 10 years ahead of its time.
Old 19 March 2015, 20:27   #28
brett71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
Whilst probably not the first multi-tasking computer it did a fairly good job (they demoed the multi tasking capabilities at the 1985 launch - it's on Youtube).

You only have to look at the alternatives around 1985 - the Amiga was at least 5 - 10 years ahead of its time.
Unfortunately, Commodore-Amiga's tech remained mostly static while everyone else was pushing further and 5 years later had caught up and began to surpass the Amiga. IMHO, AGA was their last gasp to stay relevant and probably got them a few more years of life. Without it, I bet they would have fallen into bankruptcy even sooner than they did.
Old 20 March 2015, 16:59   #29
Paul_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett71 View Post
Unfortunately, Commodore-Amiga's tech remained mostly static while everyone else was pushing further and 5 years later had caught up and began to surpass the Amiga. IMHO, AGA was their last gasp to stay relevant and probably got them a few more years of life. Without it, I bet they would have fallen into bankruptcy even sooner than they did.
true, it's a shame Commodore management let things stagnate - they had some brilliant engineers

Even if C= Amiga had survived they would have gone the same route as Apple with an x86 platform imo.

I wonder if we'll ever see the likes of a group of people doing something completely different from everyone else?
Old 22 March 2015, 16:12   #30
mjnurney

Yes we will

They are the consoles now. They are the Amiga of today

No new computer will deviate from x86 unless it's a new discovery that is so powerful and cheap... But that is unlikely.
Old 24 March 2015, 19:16   #31
Macca
Zone Friend

If you think Bill Gates is ruthless then god help you if you ever compare this about Steve Jobs.

I actually admire Gates as he's done a hell of a lot and bringing up his kids in the right way. He's done more for charity than anyone else I know with his own money - if he'd have given his first 10 billion away, as the OP implies that he's wrong to keep it, then he probably wouldn't have been able to do as much as he has now.

Clive Sinclair has had a lot of press and was honoured (Sir) and will be remembered when he passes away.

I know we get carried away because we're Amiga fans but there has to be 'fair' in there for a debate.

M.
Old 25 March 2015, 08:59   #32
Twiggy
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjnurney View Post
Yes we will
No new computer will deviate from x86 unless it's a new discovery that is so powerful and cheap... But that is unlikely.
ARM is getting quite popular.
Old 04 April 2015, 10:14   #33
mjnurney

Yes that's true but it's not desktop power yet , although it might be at some point.

I suppose it depends where they want to go with it..

Desktop environment is very different from mobile.

MS have dropped arm from the windows platform haven't they ?
Old 04 April 2015, 10:29   #34
blizz1220

I read that Jay Miner wanted Amiga's to have small amount of fast graphics memory to compete with it's competitor from Japan :

http://www.giantbomb.com/sharp-x68000/3045-95/

He also wanted ram sockets for memory expansion and many other things.

Commodore said : "NO".
Old 06 April 2015, 15:50   #35
Twiggy
\m/

Windows 10 will have a Pi 2 port afaik, so not entirely abandoning ARM yet.

What problems are there for ARM being a desktop environment? Apart from raw clock speed?