English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 23 August 2010, 19:41   #1
mech

Roadshow 68K - Needs your support!

For those of you who dont make it to Amiga.org i am posting this here also:

For a few weeks i have been talking with Olaf Barthel about releasing roadshow 68K for the amiga. He seems all for the idea for the most part but would like it if he could sell it for a reasonable price and if anyone would buy it. It would be the only current tcp/ip stack that can be registered/bought etc! His stack is quite a bit faster than both miami and amitcp as it stands,and he said it would be possible to use on 68000 (ala A600 with limited resources).Olaf expressed concern that there were no docs or mui front end currently,but i assured him someone would probabaly step up to make a gui.I think most amigans can get by with limited install docs and such.

If you want to see this happen,please reply to this thread expressing your interest so i have something to show him!

Obviously if people pirate it right off the bat and spread it and he gets no sales,he will be quite disgusted,so lets show some support by buying it,pay for the thing if it happens ok!

I suggested to him he offer it via a web download you can pay with paypal and maybe on CD for those who are want something they can touch

So come on everyone,lets get behind this,its not everyday the amiga might see a new,faster tcp/ip stack!

Mike
Old 23 August 2010, 19:45   #2
fryguy

Sounds good
Old 23 August 2010, 20:04   #3
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Excellent!
I will buy it for a realistic price.
Old 23 August 2010, 20:12   #4
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

For a reasonble price I am know to register almost anything =)

if Roadshow 68k really wants to make some pennies, then I would also suggest a USB stack - compatible with the Spider/Subway and Thylacine cards =D
Old 23 August 2010, 20:18   #5
nujack
Zone Friend

Good news!!!
I'm interested to buy it for my Classic, if it's not too expensive.
Maybe a new version of IBrowse will appaer too sometimes. Who knows . . .
Old 23 August 2010, 21:31   #6
gulliver
BoingBagged

It sounds really interesting to have an updated TCP-IP stack.
Old 23 August 2010, 22:09   #7
Wayne

Send a message via ICQ to Wayne
How about to release a demo of it to check it's advantagaes over the others.
Definately want somethin' faster, good SW is always worth the money. Only need to know how much
Old 23 August 2010, 22:14   #8
JUlzinKA

go for it !

Old 23 August 2010, 22:21   #9
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
if Roadshow 68k really wants to make some pennies, then I would also suggest a USB stack - compatible with the Spider/Subway and Thylacine cards =D
Eh? How does this have anything to do with a TCP/IP stack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mech View Post
His stack is quite a bit faster than both miami and amitcp as it stands,and he said it would be possible to use on 68000 (ala A600 with limited resources).
If this is true then I'd almost certainly register (not if it is something stoopid, like €100) but for me the CPU & RAM overhead is key. Roadshow was written for PowerPC class processors with gigabytes of RAM. Also what would the driver class structure be? All existing SANA-II drivers? If it is a new driver scheme then what hardware will have drivers?

What would be the advantages over Genesis (aka AmiTCP) & Miami? IPV6? ZeroConf? VPN? Firewall? IPSec?

Miami is a bit of a pain to set up but once working it has relatively low CPU overhead and things such as NAT and DHCP.

Last edited by alexh; 23 August 2010 at 22:37.
Old 23 August 2010, 22:31   #10
Skope
Protracker

I actually prefer a stack without bloaty mui, commandline ftw! (:

Most interrested in his software. Stick a down-to-earth price tag on it and I'm buying.
Old 23 August 2010, 22:36   #11
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Yes - I would also be interested in seeing what advantages it had to offer.
Old 23 August 2010, 23:30   #12
mech

@AlexH
This is not a port of os4 roadshow,this exhisted before os4 roadshow to my knowledge and is written for 68K. It uses exhisting sanaII drivers.
Olaf expressed to me this was a labor of love originally and he never expected to get rich,but some reward for his hard work would be nice. He said it bothered him that this never was released. I think he will price it right(he hasn't mentioned a price yet).If i hear anything i will let you know.

Mike
Old 23 August 2010, 23:48   #13
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Oh, ok.

So if it is older I guess the possibility of modern features is diminished?
Old 24 August 2010, 00:14   #14
mech

Its as modern as os4 stack to my knowledge,he said dhcp etc work.What features were you referring to? I will try and get answers.

Mike
Old 24 August 2010, 01:27   #15
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Alexh

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Eh? How does this have anything to do with a TCP/IP stack?
it doesn't .... I just want a USB stack so I can use my Spider Card - trying to route Psidon sources from AROS is a pain in the arse.

I figure, if your gonna write a TCP/IP stack one can got the extra mile (for some extra pennies) and write a USB stack for certain cards, preferable Open PCI perhaps... =D

@mech

What real benefit will roadshow 68k have over AmiTCP ?

WE have discussed low-system requirments - but how low and at what a cost? figuratively not financially, althogh that is always a factor?

I do get concerned with projects like these - and the author always ends up scrathing there head wondering where all the promises of azure have gotten too.

I will register pretty much anything thats worth registering / supporting, like WHDLoad, HSMathsLibs, PSF3 would be nice even if it had aone time $10 registration fee!

but we still have the problem of perhaps the best TCP/IP stack, destined for a machine that with only 2MB CHIP cannot really run a browser....

holy shit.... I have turned in Alexh!
Old 24 August 2010, 03:52   #16
Cammy

Woh this thread is going so fast...

I would definitely like to register Roadshow 68k if it is released for a reasonable price. I think the key to making shareware/commercial sotware in this day and age where it's almost too easy to pirate is to keep the price low and go for impulse online purchases. I bet you will get people registering your Amiga software even if they don't use it, as long as you're continuing to develop it and support its users.

Zetr0 have you tried Anaiis? I know it doesn't support every Amiga USB card yet but that's because poor Gilles has had problems with his old Amigas and can't afford to buy the hardware to support it! It works very well with my A600 and the Subway, and I bet with some extra encouragement or hardware donations and Gilles could code support for the Thylacine or PCI USB cards.

As for Roadshow, I really would like to know about the advantages it has over AmiTCP and Miami. I use both of these TCP stacks on my Amigas, and it's really not so bad going online on a 2MB A600 with AmiTCP. But if Roadshow can do the job in less RAM with less CPU overhead, I'll be very happy!

Here's the Anaiis USB stack for anyone who hasn't tried it - http://aminet.net/package/driver/other/anaiis
Old 24 August 2010, 04:15   #17
PereatMundus
Lost, Returned

BUMP, sounds good, go for it
Old 24 August 2010, 04:17   #18
mech

@alex: sorry that was meant for zetro

@zetro

Oops thought alex asked about the usb stack. my mistake.

The real benifet is it can be registered(assuming all this comes about),it will most likely be updated where it needs it, its quite a bit faster than amitcp4 with reasonable cpu load.Olaf said the amount of connections could be limited in the 68000 one so as not to overload. DHCP works right..Keep in mind this is what olaf has told me, and i'm just passing info along.all this is currently working, it just lacks docs and a gui but is supposedly useable as is.

Again the whole point of this is to show that there is interest in a new tcp/ip stack.It will be ultimately up to olaf if this happens,but i feel pretty confident it will.

@cammy: What does gilles need to get going to help it out.. i cant believe no aussie amiga user can help the guy? i am in the usa but maybe i can help him. Can you put me in touch with him via email? oh! and thanks for hijacking the thread (kidding!) )
Old 24 August 2010, 05:41   #19
Cammy

I'm not sure if there are any Australian Amiga users who can afford to send hardware to Europe for Gilles, I think it would be more helpful if someone in France or some other country close by could offer a hand. The last I read, his A2000 died but that may have been repaired now, but if people want support for the Deneb or the Thylacine they'll need to purchase one and send it to him so he'll have something to program for, I guess. Gilles' email address and other details are in the information page for Anaiis in the link I posted, I don't want to go posting his email address in the thread in case some bot picks it up and he gets flooded with spam.

I didn't mean to hijack the thread. I do think we need a website for Amiga software authors to offer their software to be downloaded and paid for from, like an "app store". So many Amiga developers with software that could be made available could benefit from such a system. Oh well.
Old 24 August 2010, 07:51   #20
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
trying to route Poseidon sources from AROS is a pain in the arse.
You mean "beyond your capabilities"? (Mine too!)

I still say that would be the best 2nd easiest route for anyone trying to resurrect SPIDER capability under AmigaOS3.x.

The easiest being just to use an early version of Poseidon (I think 3.8 was the last version which can still use spider's usb.device?) and use a hacked/shared key? As Posiedon is now "free" being open source this act is less immoral than it was. Ok so 3.8 is not as shiny as 4.4 but still.

Last edited by alexh; 24 August 2010 at 09:48.