English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.SPS (was CAPS)

Old 28 June 2018, 15:00   #61
Dunny

I might just point out that the WOS IDSA furore was a complete mistake, as the IDSA's automatic filename trawler flagged up files that contained the names of popular films/games from current (for the time) generations of hardware and WOS did indeed have permission to distribute those games.
Old 28 June 2018, 17:18   #62
Mikerochip

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
About Mikerochip, i'm unfortunately unable to help on that matter. I don't know who has them.
I know who has them, he just won't return them!!

After 14 years, my hopes are not high that I'll see them again.

Thanks anyway
Old 28 June 2018, 20:08   #63
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerochip View Post
I know who has them, he just won't return them!!
Who exactly?

If you are not comfortable posting the member / name in public then at least let Denis know so that he can try to contact this person and get them back for you
Old 29 June 2018, 15:59   #64
Nosferax

The biggest question for me is where and how those files are stored. Not much of a preservation effort if they're stored on some guy HDD in his basement. Before I make the effort of contributing something to such a project I'd like to make sure my work would be stored safely for others to enjoy, not just a selected few.
Old 29 June 2018, 16:15   #65
RCK
Administrator

It's been years since SPS members are inactive, for me EAB's members can now exchange IPF files if they want, I removed the FAQ entries about those old rules.
Old 29 June 2018, 16:17   #66
DamienD
Banned

Awesome news RCK, thank you
Old 29 June 2018, 16:22   #67
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

You rock RCK.
No-Intro set incoming on ftp.

Last edited by Retroplay; 29 June 2018 at 16:28.
Old 29 June 2018, 16:29   #68
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferax View Post
The biggest question for me is where and how those files are stored. Not much of a preservation effort if they're stored on some guy HDD in his basement. Before I make the effort of contributing something to such a project I'd like to make sure my work would be stored safely for others to enjoy, not just a selected few.
Everything as you know it is of course stored on a server/clouds etc.

Nothing is stored on a hard drive, prone to crash.
Old 29 June 2018, 16:36   #69
BarryB
Amigaholic

It's all locked up in Enterprise Storage as Denis says, remember they also deal with Universities, Libraries and other organisations so if they do store any of their dumps it's not really professional to keep them on a local HDD is it
Old 29 June 2018, 17:01   #70
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferax View Post
Before I make the effort of contributing something to such a project I'd like to make sure my work would be stored safely for others to enjoy, not just a selected few.
The sharing with others won't happen from the SPS team; unless others requesting files you've submitted can actually prove that they have the originals...

Once however, if you do actually get .IPFs back from them, then you can do whatever you want i.e. share with the community if you so wish
Old 29 June 2018, 17:10   #71
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Once however, if you do actually get .IPFs back from them, then you can do whatever you want i.e. share with the community if you so wish
Hint! Hint!
Old 29 June 2018, 17:22   #72
DamienD
Banned

@Turran: can you please update the text on the EAB File Server and remove the part in red below?

Quote:
Upload Rules:
DO NOT upload "IPF Images", "Workbench Disks", "Kickstart ROMs/Disks" & software or music files still supported/for sale.
DO NOT upload NEVER EVER APC & TCP Software.
I've updated the 1st post in the EAB File Server thread
Old 29 June 2018, 17:28   #73
BarryB
Amigaholic

Denis has nearly 200 of my Spectrum +3 dumps so can I have them in IPF format please
Old 29 June 2018, 17:59   #74
chip

I'm glad rules are changed

Thanks Retroplay for the upload
Old 29 June 2018, 21:12   #75
Avanze
Amiga User

Wow! This is excellent news.
Old 29 June 2018, 22:36   #76
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
Denis has nearly 200 of my Spectrum +3 dumps so can I have them in IPF format please
I only have Renegade on all those IPF.

The good news : I spent 7 hours to check and process 20 spectrum titles.

here are the results :

4 top games : Speedlock AAAA 1986 with disk write enable check (Destructive!)

Action Pack : Speedlock AAAA 1986 with disk write enable check (Destructive!)

Back To the future III : Speedlock 8k track w/no checksum

Barbarian II: Speedlock 8k tracks w/no checksum

Batman The Caped Crusader : Speedlock weak sector

Charbusters : Speedlock AAAA 1986 with disk write enable check (Destructive!)

Dragon Ninja: Speedlock weak sector

Game Set And Match : Speedlock AAAA 1986 with disk write enable check (Destructive!)

Renegade: Speedlock AAAA 1986 with disk write enable check (Destructive!)

The Bard Tale's Tale of the Unknown: Speedlock weak sector

After the war: Seen as not duplicated (because not duplicated on a trace mountain machine)

APB All Points Bulletin: Discsys disk protection, made by Kevin Parker, aka the Master Hacker. This Protection is seen as not duplicated on most titles. The only one i know of seen as duplicated is Bad land from Domark.

bubble bobble and sentinel are seen as modified or not duplicated

football Manager II is modified

Fiendish freddy, the disk is dirty so no IPF, but good enough to make eDSK.

Game Set and Match: Speedlock AAAA 1986 with disk write enable check (Destructive!)

Gary Lineker : copied by a spectrum or an amstrad. The game uses the gremlin disk format, which is duplicated, so no go.

Live Ammo: track 24.0 is faulty so biscuits. Speedlock AAAA 1986 with disk write enable check (Destructive!)

Tomahawk: protected, but is seen as not duplicated.
Old 30 June 2018, 00:10   #77
BarryB
Amigaholic

Wow! Might have to redump a few like Fiendish Freddy!

There is another copy of Live Ammo in those dumps that has a good Track 24.0! Obviously I can't guarantee every dump is genuine when you're buying stuff off ebay, even I wrote over some of my Amiga originals with cracks but thankfully only a handful!!

At least I know which ones are genuinely modified. As for the Bubble Bobble and Sentinel, they seem to use the same format and were bought from 2 different people, tracks 6-29 are unformatted on both dumps! Disk Image Manager has APB identified as Players protection with supersized track 39, is this another name for Discsys?
Old 30 June 2018, 00:26   #78
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
Wow! Might have to redump a few like Fiendish Freddy!

There is another copy of Live Ammo in those dumps that has a good Track 24.0! Obviously I can't guarantee every dump is genuine when you're buying stuff off ebay, even I wrote over some of my Amiga originals with cracks but thankfully only a handful!!

At least I know which ones are genuinely modified. As for the Bubble Bobble and Sentinel, they seem to use the same format and were bought from 2 different people, tracks 6-29 are unformatted on both dumps! Disk Image Manager has APB identified as Players protection with supersized track 39, is this another name for Discsys?
Players protection is a rubbish name. The real name of the protection is Discsys.

this protection was used on Spectrum disk, but also on Amstrad CPC. This protection also exists in tape format, it's called Cassys (by opposition to Discsys).

It's made of 16 sectors, not fully filled, and with specific to counter strike the hacking cartridges.

The naming in the SPS tool is Sector16, but the real name is Discsys. This protection has been made by Kevin Parker, an ex-hacker at the time, named 'TMH' or The Master Hacker. He used the protection 1st time on the game Into The Eagle Nest, that he has also coded on Speccy and Amstrad.
Old 30 June 2018, 10:49   #79
dirkies
Zone Friend

so refreshing how a long-standing, obsolete and oppressive rule got removed in a week's time by simple logic !
Good work guys!
Old 30 June 2018, 11:01   #80
BarryB
Amigaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
Players protection is a rubbish name. The real name of the protection is Discsys.

this protection was used on Spectrum disk, but also on Amstrad CPC. This protection also exists in tape format, it's called Cassys (by opposition to Discsys).

It's made of 16 sectors, not fully filled, and with specific to counter strike the hacking cartridges.

The naming in the SPS tool is Sector16, but the real name is Discsys. This protection has been made by Kevin Parker, an ex-hacker at the time, named 'TMH' or The Master Hacker. He used the protection 1st time on the game Into The Eagle Nest, that he has also coded on Speccy and Amstrad.

So Players = Discsys, I have a few with that protection, can't list them now as I'm just off to the Doncaster Dome for the Video Game Market and it's getting warmer and warmer!!