English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 12 April 2010, 19:22   #1
Melonfish
I killed Jools on purpose

VGA to HDMI

I got a reply back from my VGA monitor Manufacturer apparently my monitor won't support 15hz so i'm back to the drawing board.

however, this weekend i've been mooching at a new TV for the living room, i think we're getting a 42" plasma 1080p 600hz (epic) but this comes with several HDMI sockets as its HD ready.

Again i got thinking, you can get VGA to HDMI converters. hell you can get Comp to HDMI converters, would this not be a solution to getting the Miggy on a big old tv or new monitor? i mean everything comes with a HDMI socket nowdays i'm suprised they're not installing them in our kids at the hospital

i'm going to look into this in detail but essentially these boxes take old Analog signal and shift it to digi, scaling included. it may be a way around without having to get a scan doubler, heck it may be more expensive but in the end it may be a method.
i'll post more when i know
Pete

Edit:
For those worried about screen burn, the latest plasma's reckon about an hour of perm image before screen burn becomes apparent. perhaps an LCD might be a better idea for miggy games!
Old 12 April 2010, 19:40   #2
jmmijo

My Samsung LCD has multiple inputs uncluding 4 HDMI connections.

I went with a DVI 2 HDMI cable and it works great.

Now that my new HD5850 has an HDMI port built into it I will probably get a true HDMI 2 HDMI cable instead, may not be any apparent difference however I want the audio to go through too
Old 12 April 2010, 19:41   #3
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

You can connect your Amiga directly via Composite or better via RGB to a Plasma TV, but don't expect to much. The image quality isn't really bad, but far away from a good CRT plus you get a blurring during the scrolling, maybe caused due the analog/digital convertion. The games scroll 100% smooth though (if the Plasma supports 50Hz).

A simple Scart, Composite, S-Video, RGB to HDMI converter do the same as the internal A/D converter of a Plasma TV. Probably there are better converter than the internal, but they would cost a lot of money.

Anyway, you can't beat the Image quality of a PC connected via HDMI+WinUAE. This is the best option, imagewise. CRTs are always the best solution for Retro computer/consoles.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 12 April 2010 at 20:22.