English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 04 September 2018, 14:00   #1
Marle
Pixel Vixen

Maximum FPS for DPaint Anim on stock A600?

Heya,

A question that's running through my mind at the moment, but what is the maximum FPS that say a Dpaint III animation in lores 320x256 in 32 colours on a stock Amiga 600 (or any other 7MHz 68000 Amiga).

I was thinking it's probably not 25fps!

I can't remember from back in the day. I want to do something which will involve at least animating with a reasonable chunk of that screen.

Thanks!
Old 04 September 2018, 15:12   #2
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
There is Set Frame Rate param, it should be the same on any Amiga, it is not influenced by CPU clock.
Old 04 September 2018, 15:16   #3
Marle
Pixel Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
There is Set Frame Rate param, it should be the same on any Amiga, it is not influenced by CPU clock.
Thanks - yes I am aware of that, I was just wondering can the Amiga change the entire screen 25fps for the entire 320x256x5 area, or does it actually run slower that what is specified there? To be fair, I don't think I'll be animating a whole 25fps, I was just curious

Thanks!
Old 04 September 2018, 18:22   #4
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marle View Post
Thanks - yes I am aware of that, I was just wondering can the Amiga change the entire screen 25fps for the entire 320x256x5 area, or does it actually run slower that what is specified there? To be fair, I don't think I'll be animating a whole 25fps, I was just curious

Thanks!
Well, animations like these are CPU bound (which does the decoding and drawing). Naturally, exact performance will depend on the complexity of the animation and decoder. However, we can still assume the answer is going to be <25fps.

This is because a 320x256x5 screen is 50kb in memory and the theoretical CPU limit on a basic A600 for copying data to a screen is a maximum of about 17KB/frame*. So, the max frame rate for an animation that changes every pixel is about 16-17fps. Luckily, animations that need to change every pixel every frame are extremely rare. So actual frame rates might get higher.

*) It can write a single 16x1 pattern at rates up to about 34KB/frame, but this is only really useful for clearing the screen.
Old 04 September 2018, 22:37   #5
Marle
Pixel Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
Well, animations like these are CPU bound...
Thanks roondar that's super helpful, my recollection of Amiga animation was that it did run fluidly enough on a stock OCS/ECS 68000 Amiga but those recollections are from 20 years ago!

Hopefully I will have a chance soon to get on with some animation

Many thanks,
Old 05 September 2018, 00:08   #6
roondar

It's not all bad - my figures assume the entire picture gets changed between frames. This is usually not what Amiga animations do. If you look carefully, you'll note that most tend to only update a fairly minor part of the screen between frames, usually less than half the screen.

At which point the frame rate goes up as this is tied to number of pixels drawn
Old 05 September 2018, 13:43   #7
Marle
Pixel Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
It's not all bad...
Indeed not, my recollection was that Amiga animation was pretty smooth.

I'm not doing this for anything in particular other than to have a bit of fun creating the graphics from one of my favourite animes (neon genesis evangelion) and animate certain segments sort of like a game cut scene demonstration. Although the likelihood is I'll be stitching the demonstration together with Amiga Vision rather than coding a Blitz BASIC specific demo, unless of course I end up going way OTT and creating some kind of demo!

Still mustn't get ahead of myself, I've only got pencil sketches at the moment and that's a long way off having these drawn, coloured and animated even for a short sequence!

Old 05 September 2018, 16:43   #8
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marle View Post
...Although the likelihood is I'll be stitching the demonstration together with Amiga Vision rather than coding a Blitz BASIC specific demo...
Why you don't use AnimatED 1.52 from Aminet? It is an editor made in Blitz BASIC for playing animations sync'ed with external sound files. It is easy to use and it's way of operation ressembles that of a non linear editor. I guess it does just what do you need.

http://aminet.net/package/gfx/edit/AnimatED1_52

EDIT: Uh, it is for 68020 machines with 2 MB memory or better, sorry. But you can use it on WinUAE like me.

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 05 September 2018 at 22:12.
Old 06 September 2018, 00:46   #9
Marle
Pixel Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leandro Jardim View Post
Why you don't use AnimatED 1.52 ...
EDIT: Uh, it is for 68020 machines with 2 MB memory or better, sorry. But you can use it on WinUAE like me.
Yep great suggestion, but as you say, 68020+ only. My A600 has 4MB RAM but I have been sticking to keeping it simple with it's stock 68000, my days of running an expanded Amiga are long long behind me and I'm enjoying the fairly apart from RAM and CF HDD standard Amiga experience.

But yes I spotted AnimatED a few weeks ago and thought yay I found a solution and then realised I hadn't, but in another thread someone suggested Amiga Vision which I so happen to have a full copy of from my Amiga 3000 owning days back in the late 90s, so for knocking up something that will load an anim into RAM, play it, wait a few ticks, then load another anim or wait for mouse clicks, it should do the job great!

Thanks for the great suggestion though!
Old 06 September 2018, 20:24   #10
scuzz

I use MainActor and change from Anim5 to Anim8. Also use Main Actor viewer plus DOpus to check animations. Saved MainActor files improve greatly the fluidity of animations. Also gives you the opportunity to save in different screen modes. I have a MainActor key so avoids the popups. Came on a cover disk with Amiga Computing Dec 95 plus VillageTronic Picasso install software.