English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 25 May 2013, 00:10   #41
Adropac2
Zone Friend
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Kent
Age: 47
Posts: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
I used to think the image on my lcds was perfect but when you go back to a crt you can see the difference immediately :-)
yeah that's the thing, I've know a couple of people swear blind their lcd doesn't blur when moving but for the most it comes down to people just not knowing what that actually looks like. I'm used to my lcd though even with playing the c64 or amiga games but I like to keep a few crts as well
Adropac2 is offline  
Old 25 May 2013, 04:43   #42
prowler
Global Moderator

prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sidcup, England
Posts: 10,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adropac2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
I used to think the image on my lcds was perfect but when you go back to a crt you can see the difference immediately :-)
yeah that's the thing, I've know a couple of people swear blind their lcd doesn't blur when moving but for the most it comes down to people just not knowing what that actually looks like.
Simple test to show motion blurring on my LCD TV screen: Move the mouse pointer in Windows or Amiga Workbench (it has RGB SCART and VGA inputs) and track it with your eyes. It becomes blurred (well, not sharp, to be more precise).
prowler is offline  
Old 25 May 2013, 10:08   #43
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hämeenlinna/Finland
Age: 44
Posts: 23,571
Normal LCD always have motion blur and it has nothing to do with pixel response time anymore. There is a solution now, check http://www.blurbusters.com/
Toni Wilen is online now  
Old 25 May 2013, 17:04   #44
daxb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,466
I read a bit on blurbuster.com. As far as I understand for computer (games, desktop) you need at least a LCD that supports LightBoost and a fast gfx card to got 120fps at 120Hz. Both are very expensive at the moment. However, this unimportant because we have A500, A1200, ... connected to a display. So LCD (not TV) will not work. Comming HDTV 3D displays are good for 2D motion blur reducing. Also expensive at the moment. And the most important question is, how good they can handle the video input from our Amigas (fH >=15 and fV >=50). For avoid motion blur no interpolation is needed as far as I understand. At least nowadays I vote vor CRT.
daxb is offline  
Old 25 May 2013, 23:09   #45
Dr.Venom
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 485
+1 for CRT when it comes to low-res stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
I used to think the image on my lcds was perfect but when you go back to a crt you can see the difference immediately :-)
^
|_ This


For high-res workbench stuff etc, LCD is OK..
Dr.Venom is offline  
Old 26 May 2013, 00:05   #46
lesta_smsc
Registered User

lesta_smsc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 2,100
Re: Crt Tv V Lcd Tv

Do you think using ArcadeVGA card would be better solution for refresh rate and resolution on LCD?
lesta_smsc is offline  
Old 28 May 2013, 06:59   #47
buckrogers
Registered User
buckrogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Australia
Age: 42
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Do you think using ArcadeVGA card would be better solution for refresh rate and resolution on LCD?
No. ArcadeVGA video card is only good for outputting interlaced resolutions to a CRT (non pc monitor) like the 1084 or a telly with rbg scart input. And even then, it is configured for mostly NTSC resolutions. If you feed an LCD tv designed to accept an interlaced signal (i.e., 15Khz signal with the scanlines that come with it) it will line double it anyway.

For LCDs the best solution ATM is, as Toni mentioned, using 100Hz+ option in winuae via a modern nvidia card into a lightboost monitor (e.g., Asus VG248QE - perhaps the best of the bunch at time of writing), or a modern non-nvidia card (e.g., AMD) into a Samsung 120Hz capable 750D or 950D series monitor - these have a feature similar to lightboost that works with non-nvidia cards but at the expense of more input lag and less of a reduction in motion blur. The advantage of course is not having to live with an nvidia video card.

After trying various PC crt monitors (22" mitsu flat, 19", 17" trinitron) and an IPS 20" Dell (motion blur is not good), I ended up with a sony crt 14" multisync pro monitor. Don't know if its nostalgia having grown up on a 1084 but I do think anything larger than 15" 4:3 diminishes the amiga gaming experience (although Navy Seals on a big 29" crt with scanlines is an exception - perhaps because of the sinmple but cartoony gfx?). Will get around to testing 120Hz monitors including the lightboost kind in the near future.

Last edited by buckrogers; 28 May 2013 at 07:11.
buckrogers is offline  
Old 28 May 2013, 15:35   #48
john1979
Registered User
john1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: UK
Age: 40
Posts: 748
LED back lits seem to suffer more motion blur than traditional LCDs.

I've got a 32" Samsung LCD that looks perfect during motion, and a Samsung LED that blurs very badly during any scrolling, looks a mess.
john1979 is offline  
Old 29 May 2013, 13:09   #49
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hämeenlinna/Finland
Age: 44
Posts: 23,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
I read a bit on blurbuster.com. As far as I understand for computer (games, desktop) you need at least a LCD that supports LightBoost and a fast gfx card to got 120fps at 120Hz. Both are very expensive at the moment. However, this unimportant because we have A500, A1200, ... connected to a display. So LCD (not TV) will not work. Comming HDTV 3D displays are good for 2D motion blur reducing. Also expensive at the moment. And the most important question is, how good they can handle the video input from our Amigas (fH >=15 and fV >=50). For avoid motion blur no interpolation is needed as far as I understand. At least nowadays I vote vor CRT.
True.

I only said that standard LCD (or anything that is not CRT) has always motion blur due to "sample and hold" output method. Currently there is no way around it without backlight strobing tricks. (Easiest way to see it: any emulator in vsync mode -> vertical or horizontal scrolling is blurry/ghosting. Lightboost on: blur is gone)

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1979 View Post
LED back lits seem to suffer more motion blur than traditional LCDs.

I've got a 32" Samsung LCD that looks perfect during motion, and a Samsung LED that blurs very badly during any scrolling, looks a mess.
Backlight type can't cause it. (Actually only led backlight allows blur reduction because leds can be turned on and off very quickly)

What connection? It seems newer the TV, the worse the analog input and scaling quality. Or perhaps there is different kind of stupid image processing enabled.
Toni Wilen is online now  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CRT Tv Output Leandro Jardim support.WinUAE 8 24 May 2013 15:54
Where can I get a monochrome crt Adropac2 request.Other 4 29 March 2013 04:30
monitor LCD/CRT supporting Vertical synchro 50 hz? CFOU! support.Hardware 8 15 May 2012 10:21
CDTV LCD vs CRT Comparison CDTV1991 support.Hardware 12 18 March 2011 23:43
Using a CRT-70 with A1200 JohnnyD support.Hardware 9 21 May 2010 16:06

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:11.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Page generated in 0.07310 seconds with 13 queries