English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 10 December 2012, 12:53   #21
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
Hard Drivin' was shite compared to arcade. Still I played Hard Drivin' 2 to my hearts content
Old 10 December 2012, 13:17   #22
mombasajoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
Power drift
Oh yes, indeed. The screenshots looked so nice but the gameplay was horrible.
Old 10 December 2012, 13:28   #23
funK

Four arcades I loved and played ad nauseam in arcades back then, all of which were a complete disappointment when ported to the Amiga.

Wonder Boy in Monsterland
I remember I was extremely excited when I got back home after having finally purchased the Amiga version: booted up, waited (ages) to play first level, played first level, waited (ages) for first part of the second level to load, played, waited (ages) for second part of the second level to load, then gave up. Loading times between every fucking level (and there are many, many short parts/levels in this game) totally destroyed the experience. Also, I got only a sword in the first door, where does that armour come from?! I was so let down by this port, I buried the disk somewhere and never gave it a second chance.

The New Zealand Story
Not that bad port, but where the hell are my secret levels/paths I so good knew in the arcade version, Choice?! No, really.

Ghosts'n'Goblins
This is possibly my favourite game ever, I think I got the 1Mb expansion in my Amiga 500 just to play this game. Once again bought the original, run at home to play it just to discover the key (well, at least to me) gameplay element found in the arcades (move backwards+shoot while jumping) has vanished. WTF, Elite?!

Puzznic
This game's all about the babes, so when I completed first screen and bricks on the wall didn't disappear, I thought my floppy had to be somewhat broken. Where did you forget the babes, Ocean???
Old 10 December 2012, 14:03   #24
roberthazelby
Amiga user since 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by funK View Post
Puzznic
This game's all about the babes, so when I completed first screen and bricks on the wall didn't disappear, I thought my floppy had to be somewhat broken. Where did you forget the babes, Ocean???

I've got completely the opposite views on this one. I adored the Amiga version, and even today sometimes load it up to listen to the music.

I (stupidly) thought that if the Amiga version was this good the arcade would be even better. So, I shelled out for the arcade PCB.

I was so disappointed. The fantastic Amiga tunes were gone and instead I was faced with some laughably poor digitised women.

In the end I used the PCB to test new additions to the cab collection.
Old 10 December 2012, 14:50   #25
funK

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberthazelby View Post

I've got completely the opposite views on this one. I adored the Amiga version, and even today sometimes load it up to listen to the music.

I (stupidly) thought that if the Amiga version was this good the arcade would be even better. So, I shelled out for the arcade PCB.

I was so disappointed. The fantastic Amiga tunes were gone and instead I was faced with some laughably poor digitised women.

In the end I used the PCB to test new additions to the cab collection.
Ooooh, arcade Puzznic even got sound?
Thank god the local arcade where I used to play Puzznic was a very noisy place (was inside a theme park), I barely heard anything coming from that cabinet: if someone was able to hear the digitized women screaming or something, I probably would not even have the courage to insert the coins...
Old 10 December 2012, 17:16   #26
lifeschool
Local Moderator

@ funk - New Z Story on the Amiga does have all those hidden pathways and warp tunnels if you know where to find them. Maybe they are different from the arcade levels/warps, and they are certainly hidden until you shoot them enough times, but they are there.

Bad conversions:
Bionic Commando
Outrun (goes without saying)
Afterburner
Thunderblade!
Golden Axe (ok so the gameplay is there, but just too boring)
Old 10 December 2012, 18:31   #27
funK

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeschool View Post
@ funk - New Z Story on the Amiga does have all those hidden pathways and warp tunnels if you know where to find them. Maybe they are different from the arcade levels/warps, and they are certainly hidden until you shoot them enough times, but they are there.
I know there are some, but they're NOT the same as in the arcade, plus there are no hidden "heaven" levels, IIRC.
To name just an example, try the first hidden door in level 1-2: on arcade you are brought to a hidden level where you may choose amongst two paths, but on the Amiga there's no choice, you're brought right before level 1-2 ends.
Having played countless hours on arcade, trying to master different paths and looking for hidden doors everywhere, I can assure you they feel like two different games, since those hidden doors/paths are the main feature (and fun!) of The New Zealand Story, IMHO.
But as I said, even if disappointing, it's not a bad port, I'd probably have enjoyed it much more if I didn't play the arcade that much.
Old 10 December 2012, 18:47   #28
TCD

I haven't played the arcade enough, but there are some 'time warp' hints for the Amiga version. I know that doesn't matter for you FunK, but just to show that they didn't flunk the feature completely Have a look at the attached file.
Attached Files
File Type: txt NewZealandStoryThe#960_1.txt (3.0 KB, 113 views)
Old 10 December 2012, 19:46   #29
Baboon
Moon Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etze View Post
Microprose Soccer on C64: awesone. On Amiga: pretty disappointing, no smooth scrolling and controls...
Ha i actualy liked this on the amiga. I've got fond memories playing it with mates after school.

I fired it up the other day and sadly it didn't live up to my memory. Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adropac2 View Post
Perhaps I never gave the game a real chance but I thought Strider was horrendous at the time coming from playing my mate's Megadrive version. Maybe I'll give it another try some time
Yeah the megadrive version was fantastic... the amiga version was meh.
Old 10 December 2012, 21:52   #30
laffer
Zone Friend

Any VGA Sierra game, pretty much... they're dysmal ports, virtually unplayable unless you have a faster Amiga.

Try running Space Quest 4 on an A500 to see what I mean!
Old 11 December 2012, 17:14   #31
mombasajoe

Airborne Ranger. I like the C64 Version, Amiga is crap.
Old 11 December 2012, 17:55   #32
Rob 1
The Original Domainiac

Double Dragon and Golden Axe were never as good as they should have been.... :-(

New Zealand story and Bubble Bobble were great :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baboon View Post
Ha i actualy liked this on the amiga. I've got fond memories playing it with mates after school.
Me too, Before Kick off 2 and SWOS we used to play Micropose a lot

Last edited by prowler; 12 December 2012 at 23:15. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged.
Old 20 May 2013, 21:46   #33
s2325
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
I must disagree about Bomb Jack, the Amiga version is my favourite.

Some poorly converted (but still fairly playable) coin-ops that spring to mind are Alien Syndrome, Rolling Thunder and Xain d'Sleena.
I think Rolling Thunder on Atari ST have slightly worse (unresponsive) controls and music (PC Speaker-like high beeps) so Amiga version is still better.
Old 20 May 2013, 23:41   #34
Sektor 83

The one that springs to my mind immediately, for some reason (probably because it was hyped up to all hell and managed to be a massive crippling disappointment) is Street Fighter II. Very hard to be an Amiga supporter in the early '90s when all of your friends were hardcore SNES users, gloating about the fact that their version of Street Fighter II kicked all sorts of arse over the Amiga conversion. In fact, when I think about beat 'em up conversions for the Amiga in general, a lot of them weren't great shakes... I think Mortal Kombat II was the best one of the lot, for me at least. All of the other decent beat 'em ups for the Amiga (IK+, Body Blows Galactic... which I thought was superior to the original Body Blows), were pretty much written with the Amiga in mind.

In fact, call me hyper-critical, re: conversions for the Amiga in general... but I think it'd be actually more of a challenge to list the good-to-excellent conversions rather than than the bad ones!
Old 21 May 2013, 02:55   #35
Sandro
Banned

ghouls'n ghosts = total crap..even spectrum version is lot better

pac land = another crap C64 version is better

outrun= total crap

big c = total crap jerky scroll

shinobi = shameless

double dragon 1 = shameless

----------------
Best conversions I remember
----------------

rainbow islands

shadow dancer

double dragon 2

pacmania

buggy boy

arkanoid 1

gauntlet 2

roadland

victory road

ikari
Old 21 May 2013, 11:20   #36
Neil79
Deactivated

I thought treasure island dizzy or atleast, the dizzy series, was better on the Amstrad!
Old 21 May 2013, 11:33   #37
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
Am I the only one who didn't have a console or hang out in the arcades during the late 80s and early 90s? I neither knew nor cared about ports or train stations back then. I played games such as Wonder Boy in Monsterland, Shinobi and Alien Syndrome to death and I didn't have anyone to tell me that they were bad conversions of the prototypes. Surely I wasn't the only one? I find it annoying that I visit LemonAmiga and instead of opinions on the games all I read are comments on whether they were better or worse than the other versions. Who cares! Amiga is all that matters, bitches. So what if the arcade version was better? Could you play the arcade version in your underwear and for free? No.
Old 21 May 2013, 11:40   #38
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

With rose tinted Amiga glasses, yes. It's doesn't matter if it's a 100% authentic copy of an arcade game. The game quality itself matters. And sadly a lot of arcade ports, due to time/money/skill issues, aren't good games in general. Compared to good arcade ports and good original Amiga games.
Old 21 May 2013, 11:47   #39
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
Well, not everything is black or white. A game can be worse than its arcade equivalent and still be a good game. Perhaps if you hadn't played the other version, you would enjoy it more because now all you can think of is how badly it compares.
Old 21 May 2013, 11:52   #40
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

It's all about the "good game" basics. Arcade/Action games needs at least a smooth scrolling an decent controls. A good level design would be nice too, but it's not always important.

Example: Shinobi on the Amiga is slow, has a jerky scrolling and the controls are really bad. Why should i play it longer than 5 minutes? Even if i wouldn't know other versions it's a really bad game.