English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 19 January 2010, 09:43   #1
Brosol
Brosol
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 85
A3000 Disk Drive Replacement

Has anyone tried modding a regular internal disk drive like the one:

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog
/product_info.php?products_id=294

to fit the A3000? I want to make & transfer ADF files to CF but my A3000 internal disk drive is dead.

Thanks
Brosol is offline  
Old 19 January 2010, 12:59   #2
Jope
-
Jope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Helsinki / Finland
Age: 39
Posts: 7,590
Mount the drive on standoffs (you need to raise it 5mm or so) so that it lines up with the opening in the front panel, then make a new eject button out of plastic or metal so that you can actually eject disks.

Last edited by Jope; 19 January 2010 at 14:17.
Jope is online now  
Old 19 January 2010, 15:55   #3
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut
Fingerlickin_B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Belco, Australia
Posts: 2,239
Obviously a brand new drive would be best & Jope would know best about making one like you asked fit, but there are more options if you have access to other Amiga parts

The internal FDD from an A500 or A1000 will fit straight in (may need to put your old A3000 eject button on, but it simply clips into place).

The internal FDD from an A2000 will also fit, but you'll need to swap the outer metal casing with that of your old drive (quite simple & only requires removing a single screw from memory). The A2000 FDD's casing is longer & will foul on your front bezel if not swapped over.

PZ.
Fingerlickin_B is offline  
Old 19 January 2010, 15:58   #4
alexh
Thalion Webshrine
alexh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Oxford
Posts: 12,245
You would have thought that Amigakit or someone might have offered a disk drive refurbish for A3000 drives.

I imagine that while fiddly most disk drives can be dismantled, cleaned, tested and repaired in under an hour. Once you get into the flow of things (with a bit of back-orders) I imagine this time could be reduced considerably.

Arn't most fdd faults physical rather than electrical, broken gears/cog wheels, broken drive belt, fluff & dust etc. ??

I bet A3000 users would pay at least the price of a replacement drive for such a service.
alexh is offline  
Old 19 January 2010, 16:36   #5
Jope
-
Jope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Helsinki / Finland
Age: 39
Posts: 7,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingerlickin_B View Post
OThe internal FDD from an A500 or A1000 will fit straight in (may need to put your old A3000 eject button on, but it simply clips into place).
Unfortunately some of these Chinon drives only accept a narrow eject button, so you need to check before you proceed here. Many of the older ones have positions for both the A3000 button and the buttons for other Amigas.

Quote:
The internal FDD from an A2000 will also fit, but you'll need to swap the outer metal casing with that of your old drive (quite simple & only requires removing a single screw from memory). The A2000 FDD's casing is longer & will foul on your front bezel if not swapped over.
Same problem with the A2000 chinons regarding the button.

Just a heads up.

The narrow button will work in an A3000 IIRC, but it won't look as pretty of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
You would have thought that Amigakit or someone might have offered a disk drive refurbish for A3000 drives.

I imagine that while fiddly most disk drives can be dismantled, cleaned, tested and repaired in under an hour. Once you get into the flow of things (with a bit of back-orders) I imagine this time could be reduced considerably.

Arn't most fdd faults physical rather than electrical, broken gears/cog wheels, broken drive belt, fluff & dust etc. ??
You are correct, most of these old Chinons fail because of the switches stop working, then the second most common problem I've encountered seems to be gunking up of the rails the heads move on.. Quite reliable stuff actually.

If there are replacement switches still available, just swapping those in would be a really quick repair for these drives, as dismantling and reassembling them is quite fiddly, even if you have lots of routine.

And .. damn, I'm a boring guy aren't I.
Jope is online now  
Old 19 January 2010, 16:44   #6
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut
Fingerlickin_B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Belco, Australia
Posts: 2,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Arn't most fdd faults physical rather than electrical, broken gears/cog wheels, broken drive belt, fluff & dust etc. ??
Yeah, I actually received one once with so much cat hair in it that a disk wouldn't even go all the way in!

Oh & Jope, thanks for the heads-up there...I've not had that problem before, but great to know about it in case it crops up!

PZ.
Fingerlickin_B is offline  
Old 19 January 2010, 19:53   #7
Brosol
Brosol
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 85
Thanks everyone for the tips
Brosol is offline  
Old 21 January 2010, 05:20   #8
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts
rkauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sao Leopoldo / Brazil
Age: 53
Posts: 3,482
Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingerlickin_B View Post
Yeah, I actually received one once with so much cat hair in it that a disk wouldn't even go all the way in!
PZ.
Did you bought the drive from Shoonay?
rkauer is offline  
Old 21 January 2010, 10:24   #9
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut
Fingerlickin_B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Belco, Australia
Posts: 2,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkauer View Post
Did you bought the drive from Shoonay?
LOL
Fingerlickin_B is offline  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CDTV CD drive replacement ? willbloke support.Hardware 27 12 March 2017 14:43
A3000 U202, U203, U701, U714 Replacement Brosol support.Hardware 5 12 May 2010 09:19
Replacement floppy for A3000 tonyyeb support.Hardware 18 21 August 2008 15:02
A3000 odd floppy disk drive problem Rod_cl support.Hardware 5 28 August 2006 09:16
A500 replacement drive not working LaFey support.Hardware 4 09 January 2004 01:58

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:07.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Page generated in 0.07216 seconds with 13 queries