Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 19 January 2010, 09:43   #1
Brosol
Brosol

A3000 Disk Drive Replacement

Has anyone tried modding a regular internal disk drive like the one:

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog
/product_info.php?products_id=294

to fit the A3000? I want to make & transfer ADF files to CF but my A3000 internal disk drive is dead.

Thanks
Old 19 January 2010, 12:59   #2
Jope
-

Mount the drive on standoffs (you need to raise it 5mm or so) so that it lines up with the opening in the front panel, then make a new eject button out of plastic or metal so that you can actually eject disks.

Last edited by Jope; 19 January 2010 at 14:17.
Old 19 January 2010, 15:55   #3
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Obviously a brand new drive would be best & Jope would know best about making one like you asked fit, but there are more options if you have access to other Amiga parts

The internal FDD from an A500 or A1000 will fit straight in (may need to put your old A3000 eject button on, but it simply clips into place).

The internal FDD from an A2000 will also fit, but you'll need to swap the outer metal casing with that of your old drive (quite simple & only requires removing a single screw from memory). The A2000 FDD's casing is longer & will foul on your front bezel if not swapped over.

PZ.
Old 19 January 2010, 15:58   #4
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

You would have thought that Amigakit or someone might have offered a disk drive refurbish for A3000 drives.

I imagine that while fiddly most disk drives can be dismantled, cleaned, tested and repaired in under an hour. Once you get into the flow of things (with a bit of back-orders) I imagine this time could be reduced considerably.

Arn't most fdd faults physical rather than electrical, broken gears/cog wheels, broken drive belt, fluff & dust etc. ??

I bet A3000 users would pay at least the price of a replacement drive for such a service.
Old 19 January 2010, 16:36   #5
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingerlickin_B View Post
OThe internal FDD from an A500 or A1000 will fit straight in (may need to put your old A3000 eject button on, but it simply clips into place).
Unfortunately some of these Chinon drives only accept a narrow eject button, so you need to check before you proceed here. Many of the older ones have positions for both the A3000 button and the buttons for other Amigas.

Quote:
The internal FDD from an A2000 will also fit, but you'll need to swap the outer metal casing with that of your old drive (quite simple & only requires removing a single screw from memory). The A2000 FDD's casing is longer & will foul on your front bezel if not swapped over.
Same problem with the A2000 chinons regarding the button.

Just a heads up.

The narrow button will work in an A3000 IIRC, but it won't look as pretty of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
You would have thought that Amigakit or someone might have offered a disk drive refurbish for A3000 drives.

I imagine that while fiddly most disk drives can be dismantled, cleaned, tested and repaired in under an hour. Once you get into the flow of things (with a bit of back-orders) I imagine this time could be reduced considerably.

Arn't most fdd faults physical rather than electrical, broken gears/cog wheels, broken drive belt, fluff & dust etc. ??
You are correct, most of these old Chinons fail because of the switches stop working, then the second most common problem I've encountered seems to be gunking up of the rails the heads move on.. Quite reliable stuff actually.

If there are replacement switches still available, just swapping those in would be a really quick repair for these drives, as dismantling and reassembling them is quite fiddly, even if you have lots of routine.

And .. damn, I'm a boring guy aren't I.
Old 19 January 2010, 16:44   #6
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Yeah, I actually received one once with so much cat hair in it that a disk wouldn't even go all the way in!

Oh & Jope, thanks for the heads-up there...I've not had that problem before, but great to know about it in case it crops up!

PZ.
Old 19 January 2010, 19:53   #7
Brosol
Brosol

Thanks everyone for the tips
Old 21 January 2010, 05:20   #8
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingerlickin_B View Post
Yeah, I actually received one once with so much cat hair in it that a disk wouldn't even go all the way in!
PZ.
Did you bought the drive from Shoonay?
Old 21 January 2010, 10:24   #9
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkauer View Post
Did you bought the drive from Shoonay?
LOL