English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 24 February 2005, 14:22   #1
manicx

Faulty PC HDs that work in Amiga

Is it my idea or most of the faulty HDs in a PC work in my Amigas?

I got a 6GB 2.5" HD from a laptop a year ago. The HD was unable to be recognised in the BIOS so the guy gave it to me. Happily enough, my A1200 recognised and initialised the HD. Made a full format and it works flawlessly since then.

I got a 10GB maxtor HD. This was initially a 20GB HD but since we got it as a spare part replacement for a Compaq PC, HP/Compac updated the firmware so that it doesn't use the extra 10GB (simply because when we got them as replacement there were no 10GB HDs in the market). I put this in my Amiga 4000 and instanlty started to spin (it was once again not recognised in the PC BIOS). My surprise came when my OS3.5 and HDToolBox saw this as a 20GB HD!!! I installed the latest version of SFS at first (have Boing Bags 1&2 installed) but SFS behaved like shit, and then my beloved AFS show every single partition and all 20Gigs! Formatted (tried both quick format and full format) it and it works!

I mean, isn't Amiga lovely? Some people give you hardware for free simply because they think it's dead only to find out a few hours later that it's working perfectly in an Amiga. So, yes, 'only Amiga makes it possible'!
Old 24 February 2005, 14:34   #2
keropi

that HP/Compac story is interesting.... how lame can they go?
Old 24 February 2005, 15:14   #3
manicx

too far
Old 24 February 2005, 15:31   #4
TheBoss

Send a message via ICQ to TheBoss
Its all about the magic of Amiga
Old 21 June 2013, 17:04   #5
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
LOL Reminds me of an old 486mb Packard Bell drive I have here. When I stumbled upon it again after what has to be at least 10years or more I could not resist imaging it with WinUAE.

Doing so also high-lighted that it still held windows 3.11... how I dont know but it was there and readable... weird lol.

Also had a few situations where drives were throwing out bad sectors on a pc but were totally fine on an a1200. Why does this happen?

Edit: Holy thread revival lol! Last post was done in 2005.
Old 21 June 2013, 18:02   #6
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroBlaster View Post
Also had a few situations where drives were throwing out bad sectors on a pc but were totally fine on an a1200. Why does this happen?
Maybe it was also getting bad sectors on the Amiga, it just didn't notice and you wouldn't know until programs would stop working.

I had a 370MB 2½" HDD in my A600 and I wanted to back it up, so I tried to read it on the PC, but that proved a lot more difficult than I thought it would be.
All USB->IDE adapters I tried just wouldn't recognize it. Only when I attached it to the IDE port on my PC through a passive converter was I able to read the contents. Maybe it was PIO mode 'OLD' only and the USB adapters only knew UDMA modes?
Old 21 June 2013, 18:37   #7
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
Maybe it was PIO mode 'OLD' only and the USB adapters only knew UDMA modes?
This is the case.

I also had a 4GB IDE drive ages ago that failed SMART tests in every PC BIOS, but worked fine for years in my A4000. I never caught any broken files either. :-)
Old 22 June 2013, 20:07   #8
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
This is the case.

I also had a 4GB IDE drive ages ago that failed SMART tests in every PC BIOS, but worked fine for years in my A4000. I never caught any broken files either. :-)
Exactly the same kinda thing here!

I do have a 160gb sata drive from my daughters laptop, started to throw up bad sectors. Tempted to put that into an a1200 with a few sata2ide boards I have here.
Old 22 June 2013, 20:56   #9
Jope
-

If you see bad sectors at the OS level, then it is indeed broken beyond the automatic remapping capabilities of the controller. :-)
Old 23 June 2013, 01:15   #10
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicx View Post
Is it my idea or most of the faulty HDs in a PC work in my Amigas? ....

I mean, isn't Amiga lovely? Some people give you hardware for free simply because they think it's dead only to find out a few hours later that it's working perfectly in an Amiga. So, yes, 'only Amiga makes it possible'!
So what?

PCs are high-speed machines today, with much higher frequencies than you will find in an Amiga. Thus they need high-quality data signals on the interfaces. If the signal quality of the harddisks is not good enough then the communication with the PC hardware will fail. But the good OLD Amiga is pretty slow and thus it can even accept the worst quality of interface signals
Old 23 June 2013, 16:39   #11
Shadowfire

If any modern machine throws up warnings that the hard disk is bad...

Just get rid of the hard disk.

In a modern machine, this warning is a result of the hard disk itself telling your OS that something is wrong. AmigaDOS has no facilities for reading the drive's S.M.A.R.T. status.

You are using a hard disk that knows that it is failing.
Old 23 June 2013, 21:56   #12
slaapliedje

Hard drives are retarded sometimes. I have a drive in my PC right now that started making some funky noises, so I bought a new drive, backed it all up, and then... it stopped having issues. What the hell? Only thing I can think of is that it didn't like the SATA cable I was using on it, now it's mounted in a different spot in my system, and using a different SATA cable (that same SATA cable is plugged into the new drive).

Ended up having another 2tb of space in my system..

It's interesting about the UDMA vs old PIO modes. Could be why sometimes I have such a hard time getting the drive in my Amiga to be detected by the USB-IDE bridge. Unfortunately my newer motherboard doesn't have IDE at all...

slaapliedje
Old 24 June 2013, 00:01   #13
PeterK

Quote:
I have a drive in my PC right now that started making some funky noises, so I bought a new drive, backed it all up, and then... it stopped having issues.
Hey slaapliedje,
exactly the same thing has happened here with my PC HDD the last days. First it started to make clicking noise at power-on, needed 4-5 times to start it. Then SMART reported the first reassigned sector and I made backups of all important data onto an USB stick and ordered a new harddisk. Yesterday the new disk arrived and I could clone all partitions and copy the data. And finally, after changing the mounting slot by swapping both disks the old one was suddenly working normally again.
Old 24 June 2013, 00:11   #14
slaapliedje

Glad I'm not the only one! I check the smart status occasionally just to make sure more bad sectors aren't being generated. So far so good.

slaapliedje
Old 27 June 2013, 12:35   #15
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfire View Post
If any modern machine throws up warnings that the hard disk is bad...

Just get rid of the hard disk.

In a modern machine, this warning is a result of the hard disk itself telling your OS that something is wrong. AmigaDOS has no facilities for reading the drive's S.M.A.R.T. status.

You are using a hard disk that knows that it is failing.
Uhm... back in like 94/95, me and a mate of mate were on a regular basis give IDE-disk that refused to work in 3/486's... I've still got one of them 80MB disks in perfect working order, but any PC I've come across (from 386 and upwards) are refusing to recognize it...

So I think there's a wee bit more to it than just a simple "the disk knows it is failing"
Old 27 June 2013, 14:34   #16
slaapliedje

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mindie View Post
Uhm... back in like 94/95, me and a mate of mate were on a regular basis give IDE-disk that refused to work in 3/486's... I've still got one of them 80MB disks in perfect working order, but any PC I've come across (from 386 and upwards) are refusing to recognize it...

So I think there's a wee bit more to it than just a simple "the disk knows it is failing"
I tend to agree. Hard drives can be finicky. A perfect example of this; I upgraded my motherboard not terribly long ago, going from a quad core Intel, to an 8 core AMD. The system was working fine for about a week or so, then all of a sudden one of my hard drives started making some awfully funky noises. Found a firmware update on Seagate's website and haven't had issues with it since. Their controller boards are what mark the sectors as bad, as far as I know, and if there is a bug in the firmware, where the S.M.A.R.T. status is found, it could definitely have issues that an Amiga would just ignore.

There's also the possibility that the timings just don't need to be as tight on an Amiga so there is more room for errors to time out and just work instead. Or something like that. It's a wee bit early in the morning, and my brain hasn't fully arisen.

slaapliedje