English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 04 January 2009, 00:16   #1
pubzombie

old disks will they damage my new miggy

Hi folks,
I have just been given a whole bag of Amiga games on floppies. They have been in a friends loft for the best part of a decade and then in his garage for 18months waiting to be taken to the tip. Some are obviously moisture damaged as the ink has run on the disk labels, although my friend assures me they have had no direct contact with water, and the whole lot smells a bit musty. However, some are double bagged and look fine on the surface of the outer plastic casing and the internal data disk. I have just got a brand new Amiga1200 ‘old’ new stock from amigakit.co.uk. CAN I DAMAGE MY NEW MIGGY’S FLOPPY DRIVE BY TRYING TO USE THEM? Is there a way of cleaning them up? Will giving them a spin in an old pc floppy disk drive be any use or should I just bin them?
They are currently just sat in the front room warming up.
Cheers guys
PZ
Old 04 January 2009, 00:26   #2
Chain
A-Collector, repairments

Send a message via ICQ to Chain
I will not recommend it. it can have some fungus inside, which can stick on drive head and after some time you will not read anything. bin it and find a "dry" ones
Old 04 January 2009, 01:12   #3
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi PZ,

Please don't bin ANY of these disks.

I recommend you get a PC floppy adaptor for Amiga by registering your interest on this thread:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=39042
Ian Stedman is asking how many users are interested in these adaptors, so he can plan a "production run".

One of these will enable you to use a widely available, cheap and thus expendable PC floppy drive with your Amiga to test and, if possible, archive ALL these disks.

It's got to be worth it!

prowler
Old 04 January 2009, 01:14   #4
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

@ Chain

I told him exactly the same thing on AmiBay. His best bet is to bin them, rather than wreck a reconditioned "new" A1200. I also advised him to get a PCMCIA to CF adapter.

If "the ink has run", I doubt that these are original discs anyway..........
Old 04 January 2009, 13:08   #5
AmigaFriend

Yes guys beware of disks that have been on humid places.

In 1997 i was touring with a band and my main synths were floppy based. We spend the night in a house when the humidity was close to 100% because of pouring rain. The day after for the show my SY-77 could not load anything from the floppies and after 4 or 5 tries I gave up, only to find later that the drive has been busted and never worked since then. And the disks were new at that time.

CF adapter is the way to go these days.
Old 04 January 2009, 19:24   #6
pubzombie

"I recommend you get a PC floppy adaptor for Amiga by registering your interest on this thread:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=39042
Ian Stedman is asking how many users are interested in these adaptors, so he can plan a "production run"."

IS THE ABOVE THE SAME AS A CAT-WEASEL DEVICE THAT THEY SELL AT AMIGAKIT??

had a good look at them in the cold light of day and a good few are totally busted - glued shut by muck.
a few are ok ish so will put them to one side
ta
pz x
Old 04 January 2009, 19:50   #7
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pubzombie View Post
IS THE ABOVE THE SAME AS A CAT-WEASEL DEVICE THAT THEY SELL AT AMIGAKIT??
Hi PZ,

No, mate, the Catweasel (Mk IV) is an add-on card for the PC which will read Amiga-formatted disks. However there are still problems to be fixed with the Catweasel.

The card being offered by Ian Stedman will enable a PC floppy drive to be used with an Amiga, thus saving your Amiga's (relatively expensive and increasingly difficult to obtain) floppy drive from getting worn.

prowler
Old 04 January 2009, 20:50   #8
DH
Global Moderator

Carefully rip each disk open 'n' check the actual floppy disk material inside. If it looks OK, then reassemble the thing and do what prowler said, copy it, and put it on a new one, if you can depending on the protection if they are originals.

Best bet would be to create a floppy case that can be opened and clicked shut easily to use for all of them to be copied. I ain't telling you how to do this but it can be done with a little trial and error and you seem to have enough disks to play with to do this

Have fun!
Old 04 January 2009, 21:58   #9
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

Stupid question time, I didn't think to ask this.

Are these original games discs? That would be the only reason I would even attempt to try and read them.

If they aren't, don't bother, you are only asking for trouble. Just get hold of some ADF disc files and some new blank discs instead.
Old 04 January 2009, 22:35   #10
laser
Banned

Quote:
Hi folks,
I have just been given a whole bag of Amiga games on floppies. They have been in a friends loft for the best part of a decade and then in his garage for 18months waiting to be taken to the tip. Some are obviously moisture damaged as the ink has run on the disk labels, although my friend assures me they have had no direct contact with water, and the whole lot smells a bit musty. However, some are double bagged and look fine on the surface of the outer plastic casing and the internal data disk. I have just got a brand new Amiga1200 ‘old’ new stock from amigakit.co.uk. CAN I DAMAGE MY NEW MIGGY’S FLOPPY DRIVE BY TRYING TO USE THEM? Is there a way of cleaning them up? Will giving them a spin in an old pc floppy disk drive be any use or should I just bin them?
They are currently just sat in the front room warming up.
Cheers guys
PZ
if the disks are clean..nothing will happen to your floppy drive
clean them one by one using alcohol...that's all
forget about some user told you about fungus or another chemical damage

but all depends of what kind of quality floppy drive you have
if you have a "Chinon" floppy drive...(made in Japan) (were bundled with some A500)...you can insert anything there:
dirty floppy disks,food,coffe,nuclear waste....the drive will continue working.....
Chinon drives were made to last forever
Old 05 January 2009, 00:27   #11
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
Yes, one by one...with ALCOHOL ? Won't it destroy the floppy disk's magnetic side for good?
Besides, that's a waste of alcohol anyway
Old 05 January 2009, 00:57   #12
prowler
Global Moderator

I don't think it is necessary or wise to use a solvent to clean the surface of any 3½-inch floppy disk suspected of contamination just for a once-only attempt to transfer the data it contains to another medium.

Anybody who has followed DemonHellraiser's suggestion above to open a 3½-inch floppy disk case would see that the disk is sandwiched between two layers of fine tissue which would remove any deposits as soon as the disk spins up.

I would suggest that if this is not sufficient to remove the contamination, then the likelihood is that the disk surface is damaged and there is no way that the disk could be copied anyway.
Old 05 January 2009, 01:38   #13
laser
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamiga2002 View Post
Yes, one by one...with ALCOHOL ? Won't it destroy the floppy disk's magnetic side for good?
Besides, that's a waste of alcohol anyway

common alcohol works fine as cleaner....it don't destroy the disk
you can clean the entire surface of the disk..will work perfect I guarantee
also you can use water and soap or water only but the alcohol will dry faster
Old 05 January 2009, 03:30   #14
pubzombie

cheers guys. i am opening them up now - the misses thinks i have totaly lost it this time
Old 05 January 2009, 05:07   #15
whitegiant89
Lone CBM user

Send a message via MSN to whitegiant89
Living in tropical far North Qld, i had quite a few of my floppies go mouldy,
I found that i could clean the by using an cotten Bud dipped in metho.
Hold the trap door open and gently rub the surface with the bud and rotote the disk a bit and keep going till both sides are clean. The lining inside the case i found would not wipe the mould off of the disk surface. You just have to make sure that all the metho has evaporated before using the disk in the drive.
Old 05 January 2009, 07:51   #16
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
Quote:
cheers guys. i am opening them up now - the misses thinks i have totaly lost it this time
Lol that's the way things go in Amigaworld sometimes (what do they know anyway?)
Just put your ignore-mode on

Last edited by Bamiga2002; 05 January 2009 at 18:31. Reason: typo
Old 05 January 2009, 14:05   #17
DH
Global Moderator

I must admit, cleaning the surface of the disk material (gently) will not damage the magnetic properties of the disk. Have you actually tried to wipe a disk with a magnet, It's almost impossible, tried it once when some idiot at work used a Office disk in write mode and it got a virus, we tried always to wipe the media to no avail. This was to gain another new disk from wherever it had been bought, the boss went nuts when he found out that he would have to buy another one. I don't think anything is going to damage the floppy material, but alcohol would be my option if I had to do it. Safest and cleanest way to do it 'cause it leaves no residue as it completely evaporates away
Old 07 January 2009, 12:28   #18
JACK98

threw out a lot of floppies myself.sometimes you just have to let go lol.do you guys still use floppy's?.i know this has been debated before but could you use hd disks on a low density drive?.

Last edited by JACK98; 15 November 2013 at 21:13.
Old 07 January 2009, 12:46   #19
AmigaFriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACK98 View Post
but could you use hd disks on a low density drive?

Never tried myself but much doubt it Jack. HD disks have a higher density, only HD floppy heads can cope. It's the same thing you're trying a cd-rom drive to read DVD disks which have higher density layers.
Old 07 January 2009, 15:47   #20
Photon

xpect, that's folklore. The real reasons why HD is unreliable is found via google.

pubzombie, unless you know there are some rare local demos or assembler sources on the disks, you will waste your time imaging them. But I guess you could take a couple disks that look brand new and try to run whatever is on them. If you get a single r/w error, bin the lot.