English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Asm / Hardware

Old 06 January 2020, 09:49   #21
meynaf
son of 68k

We're seeing here a shortcoming of 68k asm syntax.
If instead of 2(pc) we could have writen something like (pc+2) then it would have ceased to be ambiguous - we would have been able to write either label(pc) or (pc+val).
But it's too late to change this (i think).

Anyway, it doesn't seem to be of any use.
For new code, it's easy to avoid by using * or labels.
For old code, maybe it would be better to fix the source rather than the assembler...
Old 06 January 2020, 11:31   #22
bebbo
botcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by phx View Post
What code would you expect to be generated, when writing
Code:
        section code,code
        lea     2(pc),a0
        rts
And what code would you expect when writing
Code:
        org     $0
        lea     2(pc),a0
        rts
?

Many assemblers (Devpac doesn't) would encode the offset of 2 directly into the instruction, making the LEA effectively load the address of RTS. Is this an often used feature?

I'm currently working on improving the absolute ORG-mode in vasm and the second example gives me headaches, because labels and numbers are both becoming absolute. (The advantage is that any arithmetic operation will be allowed with labels.)

my expectation is, that the encoded offset is handled as in bcc/bsr.
Code:
    X(pc)

if X is a number, that number is used without conversion. Thus
Code:
    lea     2(pc),a0
will point to rts, since when the offset is applied the first to bytes are already read - same as in bcc/bsr.

if X is a label, the compiler calculates the number to be used.

if X is a EQU <number> then X is a number, see above.

There is no need for an additional syntax - just keep it simple - as it is.

EDIT: ORG mode is irrelevant for pc relative insns.
Old 06 January 2020, 12:08   #23
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalms View Post
i expect that blah in blah(pc) or (blah,pc) to be a reference to a symbol or an absolute address. I expect it to never be a literal displacement value. If it ever can be a displacement value (like it is in blah(an)) then there is room for misinterpretation. I want the assembler to point out potential mistakes to me.

+1
Old 06 January 2020, 14:38   #24
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalms View Post
I want the assembler to point out potential mistakes to me.
This might be an important point.

I agree with most of what Kalms wrote. Except one case:
Quote:
Code:
    section    code,code

lea    $1234(pc),a0
    rts
... wil generate an error, since $1234 is supposedly a reference to an absolute address
I would rather generate a warning here, which can optionally be switched off. It might be an error (hence the warning), but as it makes no sense to use absolute addresses in PC-relative addressing modes, when using relocatable sections, it can clearly be identified as a direct offset.

I will revert my hacks of the last three days (which even worked in the end), so $1234(pc) in an ORG-section will be calculated as a reference to the absolute address again.
Old 06 January 2020, 15:41   #25
roondar

Interesting. I've always assumed any displacement value given to be literal, regardless of instruction or addressing mode. Reason being that relative addressing modes don't support the use absolute addresses (I hope this is clear - rewrote that twice ). So for me, the suggested solution would be confusing.

I do get the idea btw, this is only about how I'd "read" such code.

That said... I don't think I've ever used a lea 2(pc),a0 as such. I've always used lea label(pc),a0 in such cases. So I guess it wouldn't change much for me either way.
Old 06 January 2020, 16:38   #26
Kalms

Quote:
This might be an important point.

I agree with most of what Kalms wrote. Except one case:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalms
Code:
    section    code,code

lea    $1234(pc),a0
    rts
... wil generate an error, since $1234 is supposedly a reference to an absolute address
I would rather generate a warning here, which can optionally be switched off. It might be an error (hence the warning), but as it makes no sense to use absolute addresses in PC-relative addressing modes, when using relocatable sections, it can clearly be identified as a direct offset.

I will revert my hacks of the last three days (which even worked in the end), so $1234(pc) in an ORG-section will be calculated as a reference to the absolute address again.
If you do allow $1234(pc) in a relocatable section, then $1234(pc) will assemble in both relocatable and absolute sections, with different interpretations. A line of code which contains "lea 2(pc),a0" will thus assemble but behave differently depending on whether it is placed in a relocatable or an absolute section. I consider this worse than the alternative (to disallow $1234(pc) syntax in relocatable sections).
Old 06 January 2020, 19:21   #27
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
Reason being that relative addressing modes don't support the use absolute addresses (I hope this is clear - rewrote that twice ).
Er... no?

Quote:
That said... I don't think I've ever used a lea 2(pc),a0 as such.
Neither did I. But it was reported as an error, a few days ago. Maybe it makes sense in jump-table macros, or similar? But even there you could use * or a label with \@.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalms View Post
If you do allow $1234(pc) in a relocatable section, then $1234(pc) will assemble in both relocatable and absolute sections, with different interpretations.
Yes. I know. And I don't like that either. But this is how it always worked - at least in relocatable sections. And vasm is not the only assembler treating it as a direct PC offset. Examples: AsmOne, A68k, Barfly-Asm, PhxAss, SNMA. Devpac is an exception. I fear it could break some old sources when I turn it into an error.
Old 06 January 2020, 22:01   #28
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Interesting. I've always assumed any displacement value given to be literal, regardless of instruction or addressing mode. Reason being that relative addressing modes don't support the use absolute addresses (I hope this is clear - rewrote that twice ). So for me, the suggested solution would be confusing.
I agree. ProAsm always puts the literal directly into the code, as it should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phx
vasm is not the only assembler treating it as a direct PC offset. Examples: AsmOne, A68k, Barfly-Asm, PhxAss, SNMA. Devpac is an exception. I fear it could break some old sources when I turn it into an error.
I don't understand why they do that. One of the primary advantages of a symbolic assembler is not having to deal with absolute addresses - even in absolute code. The only case I imagine it might be useful is for patching absolute code where the target address is not included in the source, but then you should be able to simply ORG the address and put a label there.

But if other assemblers do it that way then I guess you have to copy them for compatibility. Perhaps you could have a switch to choose which assembler(s) to be compatible with?
Old 07 January 2020, 00:47   #29
roondar

Quote:
Er... no?
What I meant was simply this: on the 68000, the instruction lea 2(pc),a0 always refers to PC+2. Never to address 2 (unless PC=0 ). Similarly, a move 2(a0),d0 always refers to address contained in A0+2.

Hence, when I see a numerical displacement value (as in not a label) in assembly source, I always read it as a literal number that makes the instruction mean "take the value of the register/PC and add this number", not an absolute address.

That said, I do understand how and why you can see it differently. I guess it's my old habit of programming 6502 using a monitor rather than an assembler playing up
Old 07 January 2020, 14:57   #30
sparhawk

Quote:
That said, I do understand how and why you can see it differently. I guess it's my old habit of programming 6502 using a monitor rather than an assembler playing up

LOL! So I'm not the only one who coded on the 6502/10 with a monitor? Never used an assembler back then, as I didn't even know it existed.
Old 07 January 2020, 14:59   #31
roondar

Yup, that's me. I only used my Final Cartridge III's monitor for coding on the C64
Old 07 January 2020, 16:01   #32
ross
Per aspera ad astra

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparhawk View Post
LOL! So I'm not the only one who coded on the 6502/10 with a monitor? Never used an assembler back then, as I didn't even know it existed.
Quote:
Yup, that's me. I only used my Final Cartridge III's monitor for coding on the C64
You are not alone...

Good times
Old 07 January 2020, 17:33   #33
a/b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
... But if other assemblers do it that way then I guess you have to copy them for compatibility. Perhaps you could have a switch to choose which assembler(s) to be compatible with?
That's what I suggested earlier, some kind of a flag/switch. Decide what the default is, whether the most common case or what you feel is the correct way of handling it, and then let the users decided how to handle their code.
Additionally, an optional (flag/switch based perhaps) warning would be great so I don't have to wonder if and where are such constructs in this "ocean" of old code I'm assembling. Makes it much easier to review and fix specific lines than review the whole thing or try to debug why it crashes.

re 65xx: monitor49152 on C64 is all I used for hacking around (mostly poke hunting) and coding.
Old 08 January 2020, 13:45   #34
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
Originally Posted by a/b View Post
That's what I suggested earlier, some kind of a flag/switch.
Ok. You convinced me. I will proably add that. And if the switch enables an error with $1234(pc), it should be set automatically when selecting Devpac-compatibility mode (-devpac).

Quote:
Additionally, an optional (flag/switch based perhaps) warning would be great
Yes. I already decided to do the warning anyway. All warnings in vasm can be disabled (completely or individually).

EDIT: Done. Tomorrow's source snapshot will include all those changes. Attempting to encoding an absolute PC-displacement directly is only done in relocatable sections with a warning now, or not at all with -nodpc or -devpac option.

Last edited by phx; 08 January 2020 at 20:46. Reason: Update.