English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Gaming

Old 01 January 2020, 22:59   #1
jmmijo

Gothic Series

So THQ Nordic released a playable Trailer for a possible remake to the original GOTHIC game.

It got me interested in playing the series once again but even with patches and such it can be problematic playing the game under a new machine + Windows 10.

I tried playing Gothic 3 and when pressing the F5 key for a quick save I instead got a quick freeze of the game and had to kill the task to get back to the desktop properly.

Gothic 3 Forsaken Gods seems to be working properly however. also has the latest Community Patch installed.

THis got me thinking of using one of my older laptops with maybe Windows 2000 Pro or even XP installed or perhaps a distro of Linux that plays nice with my older Windows games via WINE or some such.

No chance of running Steam as it no longer works under XP

Any advice on doing this ?

I think it means going the old CD/DVD + GoG route due to the non-Steam thing.
Old 02 January 2020, 06:30   #2
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

According to Steam Boards, Gothic 3 should work under Win 10 when you apply 1.75 patch.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/39500...8860956526993/
Old 02 January 2020, 06:34   #3
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
According to Steam Boards, Gothic 3 should work under Win 10 when you apply 1.75 patch.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/39500...8860956526993/

Like I said it is still problematic even on Windows 10.

Windowed mode is broken and you can't ALT + TAB out when in full screen without a crash

I may just go with an older notebook and use that on some older games or a VM if I can get that to work properly.
Old 02 January 2020, 12:38   #4
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Interesting tidbit. It looks like the new game will stay quite faithful to the original in style and difficulty. The combat looks a little clunky, it reminds me of Kingdom Come: Deliverance. Which is not necessarily a bad thing, sword fighting IS clunky
Old 02 January 2020, 13:05   #5
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Too bad I was into Morrowind back when this was the hit here, Gothic was always the series with most clunky interface, dialogs written by a 5 year old who just finished reading a fantasy book and performed by voice actors who had no idea about the context of the sentences, but it had it's charm, most people love it here and a friend of mine is the main script writer in that big new mod they're doing...
Old 02 January 2020, 14:03   #6
AMIGASYSTEM

Gothic and Morrowind are two masterpieces "Morrowind" is endless, difficult to finish the game especially if it becomes a Vampire
Old 02 January 2020, 14:08   #7
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Meh, playing Morrowind first made it easier for me to appreciate what Gothic does better. I think it is best to play them in that order. If you dive directly into Gothic, I think it can be hard to see through the difficulty which always hinges on "it's only just not too crazy"

I can still fondly remember my first adventures in Gothic 2 (I played them out of order...). Start - get killed by enemy. Start again - drop off ledge. Start again - take the path you were not supposed to yet and get mauled by I think it was a tiger. Start again - fall off the wrong spot on a ledge and die. 2 cm to the left you survive. So - start again, fall off the right spot on a ledge and survive... and get instantly murdered by a swarm of bugs.

200 deaths later - you play the game like an unbeatable terminator and all other games are now too easy.
Old 02 January 2020, 14:47   #8
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Well I got to admit that my adventures in Morrowind land consisted of completely dropping the boooooring storyline and sticking to penetrating every inch of the land and stealing everything, and finally, claiming some house as my own and proudly putting all my trophies on display, putting them each one by one counting every pixel... I'm cured now, really...
Old 11 January 2020, 13:43   #9
d4rk3lf

Elder Scrools rpg's, imho, are the most borring rpg's I ever played. Characters are like dead dolls, quests are mostly linear (go there, kill rats, get back for reward), there's a lot's of empty land, and caves and ruins are just procedural generated with procedural's animals and bandits.
The only positive thing is the graphics and amazing music, where I must put Morrowind graphic as a best of the series, because it was not just mimicking real nature, but it was making imaginative worlds a reality.

From the other hand, Gothic had a worse graphics, but everything else million times better. Characters are very realistic, even side quests have a several branching, you don't get the shiny armor and a sword, right on the start, but you have to invest a lot of time to earn it (witch makes it more rewarding), the game don't treat you as a moron, giving you GPS arrows where you need to go, music is also pretty epic... etc.
-------------------------

I've played and finished demo yesterday, and even I am hardcore Gothic fan (1 and 2) , I don't think it's that BAD, as many fans screaming on youtube and steam.
The Bad:
Sure, I agree, they need to reduce brightness, and all is way oversaturated, and the colony lack a dark moody feel. Main character talk too much. Swears too much. It's lacking sarcasm of the original character. Too many cut scenes. Too much false drama. Too friendly NPC's.
I am not sure why they decide to "remake" the game, and them change every single quest, and even the environment looks quite different. Why not just make (proper) Gothic 4?

The Good:
I can tell that creators are a Gothic fans. Main quest have several branching, and I like that. Even I am fan of Gothic 1 and 2 combat system, I think this one have a potential, with some fixes. I like graphic overal (without stupid effect). I mean, the environmental design itself is pretty good.

If THQ is really gonna listen to some suggestions many people said, they could really create something worthy of the name of Gothic. I really hope they do.
Right now, I say it's 40% good and 60% bad, witch is not a bad score, considering earlier attempts at Gothic.
Old 11 January 2020, 21:37   #10
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Procedural generation was only used for Arena and Daggerfall, the rest is crafted by hand. And that's really painfully obvious when you play the games, the dungeons and caves are small and linear and a lot of have convenient secret door at the end to bring you back to the entrance.

If you want to piss on games - aim true.
Old 13 January 2020, 14:37   #11
d4rk3lf

Ah... I am using the word "procedural", for a lot's of things.
Sorry about that.

What I meant is: Monsters and dungeons are placed randomly and lazy, without a real thought of environment storytelling. Gothic always had a worse graphics is terms of object quality, textures, lightning and shaders, but environment design was a pure masterpiece, imho.

Did you tried Gothic demo?
What are your thoughts?
Old 13 January 2020, 20:21   #12
jmmijo

If you mean the Gothic Playable Trailer Teaser then yes, still messing around with it but so far it's ok.

If you want to get a better idea on what some folks want from a Gothic remake then check out the reviews of this playable trailer/teaser.

TCD does make some good points.