English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 02 April 2019, 08:43   #101
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
Not realistically so. A compactflash card is a PCMCIA card with an IDE interface. That is beyond scope of the carddisk.device, which expects direct memory access. IOWs, this would duplicate major parts of the scsi.device.
Could there be some synergy flowing here in the a1200/a600 ROMs?

Carddisk.device could detect that there is an IDE device in there and provide some kind of interface for an updated scsi.device to also access the PCMCIA slot.
Old 02 April 2019, 08:49   #102
Hewitson

Quote:
This said, there is a suitable device in Aminet (albeit a bit buggy)
Guess it was written by yourself then...
Old 02 April 2019, 09:03   #103
Romanujan

Quote:
This said, there is a suitable device in Aminet (albeit a bit buggy) that works well in practise, so there is not really a need in first place.
Unfortunately, compactflash.device is not bootable - a nasty limitation, given the fact that PCMCIA card readers are definitely faster than built-in A1200 IDE.
Old 02 April 2019, 09:07   #104
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanujan View Post
Unfortunately, compactflash.device is not bootable - a nasty limitation, given the fact that PCMCIA card readers are definitely faster than built-in A1200 IDE.
Does anyone know how the Overdrive manages this? I understand it is autobooting. Does it have some kind of rom for CC0 to mount as a drive, which then has the actual driver?
Old 02 April 2019, 11:04   #105
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanujan View Post
How would that be? They are both PIO, limited by the CPU speed. There is nothing that makes PCMCIA faster than IDE. You still need the CPU to copy the data between the port and the memory, in both cases.
Old 02 April 2019, 12:58   #106
Jope
-

Speed issues aside, other benefits are possible:

Recovery boot from a PCMCIA mounted card, also OS installs from a solid state removable bootable drive would be nice.

An eBay A1200 with no floppies is often a dilemma, it would be beneficial if the OS could access an RDB formatted PCMCIA ATA device without loading additional drivers.
Old 02 April 2019, 13:18   #107
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Guess it was written by yourself then...
No - why?
Old 02 April 2019, 13:36   #108
ppill
CON: artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Speed issues aside, other benefits are possible:

Recovery boot from a PCMCIA mounted card, also OS installs from a solid state removable bootable drive would be nice.

An eBay A1200 with no floppies is often a dilemma, it would be beneficial if the OS could access an RDB formatted PCMCIA ATA device without loading additional drivers.
It would indeed be a great feature. Had a setup for a while where I used a floppy to boot from a "hybrid" CF card (had both MBR and RDB). Very convenient.

I guess modifying compactflash.device to a rom module would be the way to go.
Old 02 April 2019, 15:20   #109
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppill View Post
It would indeed be a great feature. Had a setup for a while where I used a floppy to boot from a "hybrid" CF card (had both MBR and RDB). Very convenient.

I guess modifying compactflash.device to a rom module would be the way to go.
@Thomas Richter

I believe they all have a valid point here and that you should give their request a second chance.

Better hardware support and speed on anemic hardware is what make AmigaOS a better choice as an OS for all the Amiga machines out there.

If you are worried about precious rom space, we can still get audio.device and mathlibs out to disk. Currently, compactflash.device only weights about 9 KB.
Old 02 April 2019, 15:48   #110
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Presumably it would have to be rewritten from scratch; it seems to me there are more important things we could spend our time on than this.
Old 02 April 2019, 15:59   #111
kolla
Banned

Indeed, since CFD is GPL...
Old 02 April 2019, 16:11   #112
fgh

Booting from pcmcia cf/sd would be a great feature indeed.

Compactflash.device is open source and romable, but still not bootable AFAIK.
Not sure what’s missing in order to make it bootable?
Are changes in kickstart files needed to make it bootable if compactflash.device is present in a custom ROM or say Deneb/Algor flashROM?

Jope: Overdrive HDD uses a small bootable rom (32kb IIRC) that initiates the boot and hands control over to the hdd asap.
Old 02 April 2019, 16:13   #113
ppill
CON: artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgh View Post
Booting from pcmcia cf/sd would be a great feature indeed.

Compactflash.device is open source an romable already, but still not bootable AFAIK.
Not sure what’s missing in order to make it bootable?
Are changes in kickstart files needed to make it bootable if compactflash.device is present in a custom ROM or say Deneb/Algor flashROM?

Jope: Overdrive HDD uses a small bootable rom (32kb IIRC) that initiates the boot and hands control over to the hdd asap.
Was just reading the readme file and noticed that as well. Would using loadmodule to make it resident and enable booting from it?
Old 02 April 2019, 16:18   #114
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
@Thomas Richter

I believe they all have a valid point here and that you should give their request a second chance.

Look, let's put things straight: I have no problem if someone wants to attempt that, but I personally do not have the availability as there are really more important things that need to be done.

If so, the best possible way to fit the feature in is to extend the scsi.device (and not the carddisk.device) because a lot of the interface logic is already there. I have not yet done any research on this, but I would expect that one "only" has to select different ports for the IDE interface logic, plus some kind of glue logic to bind any PCMCIA device to a unit of the scsi.device, or - probably even better - to "2ndscsi.device", which would be the official name of another instance of the same device.

Hence, if any of the developers wants to take this job - I see no problem. It is just low priority because not having it is not a show-stopper for anyone.
Old 02 April 2019, 17:22   #115
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
It is just low priority because not having it is not a show-stopper for anyone.
This is a valid point.

It should better go into the category of those "nice to have" features, but certainly not essential.
Old 02 April 2019, 23:33   #116
amiwolf

Quote:
Not realistically so. A compactflash card is a PCMCIA card with an IDE interface. That is beyond scope of the carddisk.device, which expects direct memory access. IOWs, this would duplicate major parts of the scsi.device.
This said, there is a suitable device in Aminet (albeit a bit buggy) that works well in practise, so there is not really a need in first place.
Thank you for your reply, Thomas. I suspected that would be the case with carddisk.device. My hope was the next AmigaOS ROM release (3.1.5?) could include some support for compactflash, however achieved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
It should better go into the category of those "nice to have" features, but certainly not essential.
Well, this is a wishlist thread after all!
Old 02 April 2019, 23:53   #117
Romanujan

Quote:
How would that be? They are both PIO, limited by the CPU speed. There is nothing that makes PCMCIA faster than IDE. You still need the CPU to copy the data between the port and the memory, in both cases.
Well, I don’t know. When I tested, I got something like 3 MB/s from PCMCIA card reader, from A1200 internal IDE max I got was about 2 MB/s.
Old 03 April 2019, 00:20   #118
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiwolf View Post
Thank you for your reply, Thomas. I suspected that would be the case with carddisk.device. My hope was the next AmigaOS ROM release (3.1.5?) could include some support for compactflash, however achieved.

Well, this is a wishlist thread after all!
Yes, it is.

As they say over here where I live "there is no deceit in asking".
Old 03 April 2019, 22:52   #119
tech3475

I'm probably in the minority and I'm only posting this because it's a wishlist, but I would like to see Kickstart become easier for if you have a multiboot environment.

For example:
1) Better boot menu compared to the Early Startup Screen (I tried messing around with the startup-sequence creating a script but it gave me issues). For example, a right click on boot goes straight to the device list and has boot/boot without startup sequence at the bottom.
2) Having the ability to have modules automatically loaded somehow before booting an OS e.g. while still in kickstart check DH0>kickstart>kickstart.manifest for new modules so they're all in one place rather than having to update every boot device or mess around with loadmodule in the startup-sequence (once accidentally wiped my HDD once because I forgot to update scsi.device when booted directly into DH1).
Old 04 April 2019, 10:29   #120
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech3475 View Post
1) Better boot menu compared to the Early Startup Screen (I tried messing around with the startup-sequence creating a script but it gave me issues). For example, a right click on boot goes straight to the device list and has boot/boot without startup sequence at the bottom.
Not quite sure what you mean. You can get to the device list just by pressing a button. Is that asking too much?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech3475 View Post
2) Having the ability to have modules automatically loaded somehow before booting an OS e.g. while still in kickstart check DH0>kickstart>kickstart.manifest for new modules so they're all in one place rather than having to update every boot device or mess around with loadmodule in the startup-sequence (once accidentally wiped my HDD once because I forgot to update scsi.device when booted directly into DH1).
Errr.... But you know you need an Os to load the modules in first place, as to access the hard disk for example.... Where you store them is actually up to you. They are currently in the places that are "canonical", i.e. Libraries in LIBS:, but if you want to change that - this is entirely your own choice. You can also place them in SYS:Modules, all you need to do is then edit the startup-sequence and change the line "LoadModule ROMUPDATE" by "LoadModule SYS:Modules/#?".