English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 30 June 2012, 12:08   #41
fgh

Glad to hear you have a working setup!

Now, would you do something for me?
Could you install the latest version 1.27 of compactflash.device and see if the 133x card works with it? (Like it did for this fellow..)
I'm just curious to know for my little FAQ...

Installation is simple, just copy the new compactflash.device file over the old one in devs:dosdrivers

Last edited by fgh; 01 July 2012 at 10:14. Reason: devs:dosdrivers, not devs:
Old 01 July 2012, 08:01   #42
WeiXing3D
Rusted Amiga user

I just saw your post and it's almost midnight here in Vancouver, BC. So I will give it a try tomorrow morning. I will let you know then how it goes. Thank you again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgh View Post

Could you install the latest version 1.27 of compactflash.device and see if the 133x card works with it? (Like it did for this fellow..)

Installation is simple, just copy the new compactflash.device file over the old one in devs:
Old 01 July 2012, 08:22   #43
WeiXing3D
Rusted Amiga user

Hooooo It's a no go!

@fgh - I downloaded the cfd.lha file from your link below, saved in my cf card (I downloaded the file using my Mac Mini G1.5GHZ running MorphOS and using a Lexar multi-car reader. No problems downloading and porting the file to my miggy 1200. I copied the cfd.lha file to devs:, powered off, inserted card in PCMCIA bay and restarted/ All I got is the clock icon and the computer hangs up; just like it did before.

For some reason it still doesn't like my 2GB card.

NOTE: In devs: I have another file named "compactflash.device" and now the newly copied "cfd.lha." Should I delete the previous "compactflash.device," even though it says that is was created in March 2012?

Quote:

Installation is simple, just copy the new compactflash.device file over the old one in devs:
Old 01 July 2012, 08:28   #44
rampartsagain

See properties of cflash.device
and prompt here to see what is wrong
Old 01 July 2012, 10:03   #45
fgh

The LHA file is a compressed archive, (like zip or rar), and has to be extracted first.
To extract it on the amiga, type: lha x cf0:cfd.lha cf0:

Then copy the extracted compactflash.device to devs:dosdrivers. (Just let it overwrite the old version)
If there is a compactflash.device file in devs: you can delete it as well (it should be in devs:dosdrivers, sorry for not being clear in my previous post)

You can also extract the file on the pc if you have 7zip or winzip newer than v11.2.

Edit: Ah you're on a mac/morphOS. You can extract it with Stuffit from MacOS, but MorphOS I don't know..
Just extract it on the amiga then.. If you don't have lha installed you can get it here. You'll need it sooner or later anyway

Last edited by fgh; 01 July 2012 at 10:14.
Old 01 July 2012, 14:43   #46
keitha1200

Nice one Glad to hear you got it sorted

Sometimes it can be very confusing and stressful. Funny thing is: I have both the same make/type of CF cards, and both work fine in PCMCIA slot but only one works as a boot-able HD. I could speculate it's maybe poor quality control or fakes, etc.

@fgh: I believe that's the driver am using! nice bit of software
Old 01 July 2012, 19:54   #47
WeiXing3D
Rusted Amiga user

Thumbs up Eureka!!!!

@fgh - I remove my hat in front of you. Eureka!!!!! I can use my 133x cards......Awesome. Most appreciated.

Quote:
The LHA file is a compressed archive, (like zip or rar), and has to be extracted first.
To extract it on the amiga, type: lha x cf0:cfd.lha cf0:

Then copy the extracted compactflash.device to devs:dosdrivers. (Just let it overwrite the old version)
If there is a compactflash.device file in devs: you can delete it as well (it should be in devs:dosdrivers, sorry for not being clear in my previous post)

You can also extract the file on the pc if you have 7zip or winzip newer than v11.2.

Edit: Ah you're on a mac/morphOS. You can extract it with Stuffit from MacOS, but MorphOS I don't know..
Just extract it on the amiga then.. If you don't have lha installed you can get it here. You'll need it sooner or later anyway
Old 01 July 2012, 20:41   #48
rampartsagain

he didn´t extract the cfd.lha lol
at least now working
Old 01 July 2012, 21:43   #49
WeiXing3D
Rusted Amiga user

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampartsagain View Post
he didn´t extract the cfd.lha lol
at least now working
I guess you wre born an expert filho.......
Old 01 July 2012, 21:57   #50
rampartsagain

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeiXing3D View Post
I guess you wre born an expert filho.......
the point is that your main problem was not that compactflash.device
but the extraction of an .lha

don´t take it personally,everybody fails on time or another.

Peace
Old 01 July 2012, 23:07   #51
fgh

Glad to hear you got them both working!

Rampartsagain: I would say the percentage of people in this world knowing LHA is rather low, not a big deal
The main problem from the beginning was the old version of compactflash.device (it was correctly installed, just outdated)
Old 01 July 2012, 23:25   #52
rampartsagain

yep we are here for helping all amiga fans

now trying to make a clock circuitry for amiga 1200 clock port under diptrace is making my head spin,because i didn´t use it for a while
Old 15 February 2021, 00:52   #53
jmprice_314159

Hi all,

I have a similar problem so maybe it is also related.
I have:
Amiga Kit Compact Flash Adapter
Amiga 1200
Amitek Hawk Ramboard configured for 4 MB in the jumpers
Digigear SLIM compact flash adapter
2 GB SD card formatted as Fat32
Installed software from Amiga Kit PCMCIA floppy disk

When I have the PCMCIA card and SD card inserted into the Amiga, it won't complete
boot up.

If I remove the SD card, the Amiga boots, and then I insert the SD card,
CF0:NDOS icon appears. But, I always get the error "Not a DOS disk in device CF0".

When I run this using AmigaShell:
mount cf0:
it states already mounted
list cf0:
No information for "cf0:": not a valid DOS disk

Is it an issue with the SD card or CF adapter? Any way to tell? Any recommendations
for a compatible CF adapter and SD card? I would prefer not to use a Compact Flash
card because they are hard to use with a newer PC.

The Digigear SD to CF adapter does work with the PCMCIA card. When I insert the SD card and run info in AmigaShell
it just shows not a dos disk. Tried formatting the SD card in the Amiga and it hangs the Amiga, tried formatting in the PC both fat16 and fat 32 and it always shows "not a dos disk" on the Amiga.

The SD card does get detected, because if I leave it out, info reports "no disk present", rather than "not a dos disk".

Is there a list of known SD cards that will work? I tried the 2 I have and both exhibit the previous behaviour.
I don't want to buy random SD cards until I find one that works.

Thanks,

Jason

Last edited by jmprice_314159; 17 February 2021 at 03:50.
Old 26 February 2021, 21:36   #54
MoonDragn

I'm having similar issues also, my Amiga 1200 locks up when I insert the card. I have the latest version of CompactFlash.device v1.33. The Amiga 1200 stays locked until I pull out the disk. Then it asks me to reinsert the disk. If i reinsert, it locks up again. If I abort after inserted and pull out again and abort again then it stops locking up but can't read the disk.

My card is an old lexar 4x 128 mb compact flash.

It shows up in prepcard, when I try to prepare as disk or as system ram in prepcard it gives an error: Unable to prepare card: Error while writing Changes.

The disk works perfectly fine from my card reader in windows 10. I was able to format it in fat32 or fat16 and put files on it. Amiga just won't read it. Fat95 is in the L folder.