English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 11 May 2010, 23:56   #1
barney

Indivision ECS SCANDOUBLER ISSUES!!!.

I just received the indivision ecs scan doubler today. I have it hooked up but for some reason, my mouse movement is rather jerky. It makes precision mouse control impossible. I move the mouse diagonal down the screen and the pointer moves in sort of a "staircase" movement (right & down, right & down). This is very, very annoying and if i don't get it fixed, up for sale it goes!!! Does anybody have any advise on what problem my computer is experiencing or how to fix it? Thanks.

Last edited by barney; 12 May 2010 at 00:04.
Old 12 May 2010, 02:42   #2
barney

??
Old 12 May 2010, 08:09   #3
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Not heard of this. I find it hard to believe that it is an Indivision ECS side effect or we would have heard about it by now.

All I can think of is that you broke something when you fitted the device perhaps due to electrostatic discharge. Take precautions and try to re-seat all chips?

When was the last time you used your mouse? Perhaps it just needs a good clean? Reconnecting? Try wiggling the wire whilst moving to see if it is a loose connection in the mouse, or connector?
Old 12 May 2010, 12:58   #4
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Not heard of this. I find it hard to believe that it is an Indivision ECS side effect or we would have heard about it by now.

All I can think of is that you broke something when you fitted the device perhaps due to electrostatic discharge. Take precautions and try to re-seat all chips?

When was the last time you used your mouse? Perhaps it just needs a good clean? Reconnecting? Try wiggling the wire whilst moving to see if it is a loose connection in the mouse, or connector?
Yep, alex is right.

I have never heard of this. Never had a customer with this issue before.
Old 12 May 2010, 15:54   #5
barney

No, it isn't the mouse. It worked right before I installed scandoubler and right after I removed it. Also, I tried 3 different denise chips and the same problem occurred on all of them. You may be right on the static damage, but I have never had a problem with static in the past (problem is over exaggerated in my opinion). I sent an email to amigakit.com and gave them a description of my problem and my system configuration. See below:

I have already removed the scandoubler. Until I put it back in, are there any ideas what it might be? The mouse video was working fine, all graphics on screen were fine and the mouse pointer was visible except that it moved erratically (not smoothly). Could it be a compatibility problem with my already existing hardware. Here is my system setup:
G-Force 030 (Impact A2000-030 Combo Series II, 33Mhz, 2 4mb gvp memory added for total of 12MB on board), Impact A2000-HC+8 Series II (autoboot disabled / board being used as a RAM expander only (8, 1MB SIMMS installed), 2 Chinon floppy drives, 1 scsi CD Rom Drive, 3 way rom switcher (1.3, 2.04 & 3.1), Lyra Keyboard adapter and Cocolino mouse adapter.
Installed Software: Magic Workbench, Anticlic (removed click from floppy drives), screen blanker and whdload.
Another interesting thing I noticed is that the Denise Chip doesn't fit firmly in the Scandoubler. The holes on the scandoubler are so round and wide, it doesn't firmly grab the prongs and hold them in place. It is almost as if the chip is floating in its position. (note: I don't believe this loose chip fitting to be the problem since everything works fine except for my non-smooth mouse movement.

UPDATE: Well, I installed the Indivision ECS Scandoubler in my Amiga 3000 using the "Installation PDF" and the problem persisted. The mouse buttons tend to work fine but the movement is either jerky or non-existent. Looks like it likely came to me damaged. I am in the process of exchanging it for a good one. Thanks.

Last edited by barney; 12 May 2010 at 16:35.
Old 12 May 2010, 17:49   #6
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I believe that some of the mouse circuitry is inside the Denise. Perhaps your particular scandoubler is faulty.

You could perhaps try to update the firmware?

Worst case, ask your vendor if you can return it for a replacement and ask if they will cover the postage as it is their fault.
Old 12 May 2010, 19:56   #7
barney

Good Possibility. I am working with Amigakit now on this issue. Hopefully I can send it back to them shortly. I am going to wait before I update firmware. Besides, even if I wanted to update the firmware, chances are I couldn't on the account that my mouse quite often won't move at all.
Old 12 May 2010, 20:45   #8
Jope
-

Amiga key + arrows to move the mouse pointer, hold down shift to move faster, amiga and left alt = left mouse button, amiga and right alt = right mouse button.
Old 12 May 2010, 21:39   #9
amigakit.com

This item was *fully* tested before despatch and flashed to the latest v1.0 firmware. During that process it exhibited no problems.

The manufacturer has indicated that the problem lies with the Denise chip not making good connection with the Indivision ECS.
Old 13 May 2010, 09:16   #10
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Amiga key + arrows to move the mouse pointer, hold down shift to move faster, amiga and left alt = left mouse button, amiga and right alt = right mouse button.
I been using Amiga since 1987, I never knew about the shift!!
Old 22 May 2010, 21:44   #11
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
To follow up on this. The denise was'nt installed fully.
Old 23 May 2010, 10:33   #12
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Tbh the best troubleshooting you can make to realize if the Denise socket doesn't make good connection is run a continuity test with a multimeter from the upper part of Denise (which is seated into the socket of Indy) to the lower part where the socket is ready to be inserted into mobo's Denise position.

I had some issues also when I hacked the A603 plus putted 1 more socket for Indy ECS to not interfere with my Apollo 630.
I had some viewing problems and running a continuity test to all 48pins found out that one pin wasn't making good connection. After observing it thoroughly, the pin in one socket had a larger hole so the upper pin didn't make a connection. For fixing this issue I putted carefully some tin foil inside the larger hole (like a tiny cylinder). Problem fixed and never worried me again ever since