English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > MarketPlace

Old 08 July 2008, 01:07   #1
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

WTD: Want to Dismantle - GVP 64Pin 4MB or 16MB SIMM

Hello there my fellow forum chummies

I decided to post this here as an attempt to alleviate the plight of GVP Jaws owners.

Now i dont actually own one of these, but i am sick and tired watching those that do, get robbed by extortionate prices for memory....
so I want to do this project that will allow for MUCH cheaper 4MB and eventually 16MB sticks of 64PIN GVP memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by originally posted on www.AmiBay.com

*heheh*

Indeed couldn't resist it, (the title... )

Okay... after a few talks and chats with people whom bought a GVP Jaws or Jaws II and as we all know getting the memory SIMMS is not only next to impossible, it is also damn expensive!!!

well in this day and age this shouldn't be!! especially when one can buy the components at less that a 10th of the cost!!!

So I am appealing on behalf of GVP JAWS owners out there, if anyone could donate a 4MB or 16MB 64PIN GVP SIMM for me to... dismantle record the design and then rebuild it.

The process SHOULDN'T destroy the SIMM, however i cannot guarantee this, but, the data I gather will allow me to develop clone boards of the memory VERY cheaply, and of course the donor of the SIMM will get not only a replacement should the original be destroyed, but also another clone SIMM

I will also post the finding of this project on Aminet as well as on other forum sites, so if anyone is feeling generous just reply here
so if anyone can help please let me know
Old 08 July 2008, 11:40   #2
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
How much do you think GVP RAM could sell for in quantity?

I know somebody on a 68K Mac forum who produced 64 pin IIfx ram and sold it for $50+ a set of 16MB x 4 SIMMs (64MB, I think $50 a set of 4 atleast broke even considering the time involved).

I have told him he should do GVP RAM, should not be much more complicated.

I have a GVP 030/40 for my 2000 with 16MB (4MB onboard and 3x4MB GVP SIMMs), can I use 16MB SIMMs in the 3 slots or am I stuck with 16MB max?
Old 08 July 2008, 11:46   #3
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
Hmm zetro, do you think dismantling is really necessary ? the hack at aminet has all the pinouts for 4mb stick, and 16 mb stick adds nothing but two more address lines. GVP boards have no auto sense, they believe what size you set with jumpers.

@Unknown

030 G-Force boards support max 16 mb AFAIR. 040's support 64 mb in full bursting glory.
Old 08 July 2008, 12:09   #4
Chain
A-Collector, repairments

Send a message via ICQ to Chain
have one gvp t-rex A4000/040, wich needs 2x 16mb of those.

best and cheapest solution imo will be make new simm pcb batch (just tin contacts) and desoldering chips from standard simms

just tell me how i can help wit that and im your man
Old 08 July 2008, 12:51   #5
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
How much do you think GVP RAM could sell for in quantity?

I know somebody on a 68K Mac forum who produced 64 pin IIfx ram and sold it for $50+ a set of 16MB x 4 SIMMs (64MB, I think $50 a set of 4 atleast broke even considering the time involved).

I have told him he should do GVP RAM, should not be much more complicated.

I have a GVP 030/40 for my 2000 with 16MB (4MB onboard and 3x4MB GVP SIMMs), can I use 16MB SIMMs in the 3 slots or am I stuck with 16MB max?
With this accelerator I am unsure, amiga.resource.cx has various models but what best fits your description is the Impact A2000-030 Combo, should that this be your version the maximum is 16MB over 3 SIMMS (with 4MB on board)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coze View Post
Hmm zetro, do you think dismantling is really necessary ? the hack at aminet has all the pinouts for 4mb stick, and 16 mb stick adds nothing but two more address lines. GVP boards have no auto sense, they believe what size you set with jumpers.
Indeed my friend, the memory controller (if you want to call it that) is very archaic, i was hoping to make a clone, for some reason the hack on aminet seems to keep sending me to sleep when i read it LMAO!! besides I would also like to scan the memory and make an eagle board of it for amiga.resource.cx

if you have a readable pinout and full schematic for the 4mb and 16mb GVP simms i will be your new best friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain View Post
have one gvp t-rex A4000/040, wich needs 2x 16mb of those.

best and cheapest solution imo will be make new simm pcb batch (just tin contacts) and desoldering chips from standard simms

just tell me how i can help wit that and im your man
This indeed is my plan to my friend, to have the boards fabbed its less than $2 each, the memory can either be bought in a batch or reclaimed from existing 72pin memory modules.... I have more than my fair share of them LOL

I have no financial interest other than to break even to be honest, so keeping costs low would be a very good thing indeed.

I really appreciate your thoughts guys
Old 08 July 2008, 13:23   #6
coze

hmm, ok maybe we can do a cooperative job ? you do me a physical eagle layout of a 64 pin SIMM board with 8 chips, I ll do the connections and routing. how does it sound ?
Old 08 July 2008, 14:07   #7
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@coze

my friend, that would be an honour!

something to do tonight me thinks I will post the board here

do you know the chips serial / designation that are used for the 16MB varient this way I could do a 4MB one and a 16MB one
Old 08 July 2008, 14:24   #8
DoogUK
Doogster

A very noble cause, i sold my jaws II accelerator last year becuase of the memory price/availability issue.

kee p the good work!
Old 08 July 2008, 15:07   #9
coze

The 16 Mb GVP SIMM I had had tms416400dj s. So we can use it. Or any 4M word 4 bit Ram chip would work I guess.

http://www.alldatasheet.co.kr/datash...TMS416400.html

How about skipping the 4mb version alltogether ? I think 16 mb SIMMs could be used as 4 mb when necessary and there wont be a significant cost difference. Maybe only soldering is more trouble some for 16 mb SIMMs, extra 4 pins for each Ram chip.

Last edited by coze; 08 July 2008 at 18:33.
Old 08 July 2008, 16:12   #10
Chain
A-Collector, repairments

Send a message via ICQ to Chain
some hw pr0n for keeping spirit up
(GVP A4000 T-REX rev 4.S, WITHOUT RAM)

Old 08 July 2008, 18:26   #11
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coze View Post
The 16 Mb GVP SIMM I had had tms416400dj s. So we can use it. Or any 4M word 4 bit Ram chip would work I guess.

http://www.alldatasheet.co.kr/datash...TMS416400.html

How about skipping the 4mb version alltogether ? I think 16 mb SIMMs could be used as 4 mb when necessary and there wont be a significant cost difference. Maybe soldering is more trouble some for 16 mb SIMMs, extra 4 pins for each Ram chip.
I shall get you a premise in eagle for you tonight using these chips, I shall leave you to do ALLL the hardware work of routing

@Chain

A most inspirational pic indeed my friend!!!!! !!!!
Old 08 July 2008, 18:53   #12
coze

@Z, ok I'll be waiting I have to sleep now though cause its 2 am around here. I'll check back tomorrow good luck !