English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 10 March 2011, 13:43   #121
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian View Post
Oh and Seuden, I'd put it as Commodore, Megadrive, Snes, Powerful Pcs and the final nail in the coffin - The Sony Playstation.
You're probably right.

EDIT: Yeah, apparently the second hand market is killing the industry too, I mean, you've only got to look at what killed the Dodo for evidence of that.
Old 11 March 2011, 09:40   #122
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
Do you guys ever wonder "what if"?

What is there was never any software piracy? I mean, how different would our lives be if original software was physically impossible to copy? Or if no one had ever thought of it? Think of a world as the one in the movie The Invention of Lying if you've seen it, only in this case it would be The Invention of Piracy.

We would have played only a small portion of the games. We would have become much better in them. We would have been much more careful before choosing.. and of course we'd have missed many great ones.

Food for thought...
Old 11 March 2011, 10:08   #123
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkis21 View Post
Do you guys ever wonder "what if"?

What is there was never any software piracy? I mean, how different would our lives be if original software was physically impossible to copy? Or if no one had ever thought of it? Think of a world as the one in the movie The Invention of Lying if you've seen it, only in this case it would be The Invention of Piracy.

We would have played only a small portion of the games. We would have become much better in them. We would have been much more careful before choosing.. and of course we'd have missed many great ones.

Food for thought...
We would have also paid good money for games that are shit! I'm glad for piracy, I buy if it's worth it or if the prequel was good. I'm terrible for ratings too, if it's got poor ratings I won't go near it.
Old 11 March 2011, 10:28   #124
Lord Riton

Quote:
Originally Posted by seuden View Post
We would have also paid good money for games that are shit! I'm glad for piracy, I buy if it's worth it or if the prequel was good. I'm terrible for ratings too, if it's got poor ratings I won't go near it.
So you get the piracy version to "test" it, then you buy the original version if it's a good game ? For me, most persons that say this are just liars. I personnaly would only buy an original game affter i have it's piracy version, if i could gain something out of it, like a big handbook with needed maps, or the ability to go play it online without fear to get caught, or i don't know, but certainly NOT to support the developer team or for other moral raisons. Please give me a break...

Piracy is BAD !
Old 11 March 2011, 10:53   #125
seuden
uber cool demi god

I couldn't care less what anyone on the internet thought of me tbh. I'll buy and pirate what the fuck I like, simply as, I have no reason to lie. All my Xbox and PS3 games are bought, I have over 30 original Wii games, I can afford to buy them. If I could not afford to buy them then I would pirate them. I very rarely buy PC games as I very very very very rarely play the new ones. I will be purchasing Crysis 2 tho, I loved Far Cry 1 and Crysis of which I have bought too.
Old 11 March 2011, 12:09   #126
Christian
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Riton View Post
So you get the piracy version to "test" it, then you buy the original version if it's a good game ? For me, most persons that say this are just liars. I personnaly would only buy an original game affter i have it's piracy version, if i could gain something out of it, like a big handbook with needed maps, or the ability to go play it online without fear to get caught, or i don't know, but certainly NOT to support the developer team or for other moral raisons. Please give me a break...

Piracy is BAD !

Nah, it's "Piracy is BAD Mm'kay?"

Actually, you have a point. I don't recall ever buying an original of a game I already had a copy of. Although, if it was good enough I would then be much more inclined to buy an original from the same developer. Happened with me. I bought Assassin and Project X on the strength of Alien Breed for instance. There were only so many coverdisk demos around and really, the magazines weren't cheap at the time.

I was going to buy Pinball Illusions too on the strength of Dreams/Fantasies, but from memory it was delayed, etc and I bought a PC instead lol.

Edit: Glad I didn't, It's shite :P

Last edited by Christian; 11 March 2011 at 12:13. Reason: Just because
Old 11 March 2011, 12:18   #127
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by seuden View Post
I couldn't care less what anyone on the internet thought of me tbh. I'll buy and pirate what the fuck I like, simply as, I have no reason to lie. All my Xbox and PS3 games are bought, I have over 30 original Wii games, I can afford to buy them. If I could not afford to buy them then I would pirate them. I very rarely buy PC games as I very very very very rarely play the new ones. I will be purchasing Crysis 2 tho, I loved Far Cry 1 and Crysis of which I have bought too.
Sometimes I really think your are my long lost twin
Old 11 March 2011, 12:54   #128
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
Sometimes I really think your are my long lost twin
Haha!! I don't know if I should be worried or not.
Old 11 March 2011, 13:18   #129
Lord Riton

In the amiga years, and befor on my C64, most of the games i had were pirated games.
Later i got a PS1 and ended on it with about 70 games, all bought games. I'm sure i wouldn't have bought them if i had a good chance to get them pirated from a friend.. the fact that i had my own money and also lazyness probably played a large role there too.

Now i have an xbox 360 and also about 40-50 games, also not a single pirated one. What would i do if i had less money to buy games and the oportunity to get some pirated for free ? I think i would just sell my Xbox... hmm, no maybe not, i would of course get the pirated games ! Non the less is piracy bad, it harms game developers. But games are like drugs, when you are used to them, you don't get off them easy, and you find tons of excuses to explain why it isn't bad, so you feel good yourself moral-wise.

Edit: i think i should stop to post on that thread, i feel already bad to just troubble the good pro-piracy atmosphere

Last edited by Lord Riton; 11 March 2011 at 13:25.
Old 11 March 2011, 13:26   #130
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Riton View Post
Non the less is piracy bad, it harms game developers.
You start to sound like a broken record...
Old 11 March 2011, 13:54   #131
deicidal
Registered Insane

I dont think you will find many people in the industry who can honestly say they never copied a game at some point, but like everyone says with old age normally comes a better flow of cash so we are more likely to pay for the games.
Old 11 March 2011, 14:02   #132
Frog

It would be necessary can be to return also on a point. Without blank disks no possible copies now it is necessary to see that the industry in supplied the support to copy the games.
It is also still the industry which supplied the CD burners, the blank CDs to copy and big 1GB hardisk. They make money thanks to these supports.
This is shameful to see for example Sony criticizing hacking/piracy while they sell all the material to pirate.
Old 11 March 2011, 14:05   #133
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

So it's also shameful that they make bricks and crowbars which can also be used to break into houses/cars?
Old 11 March 2011, 14:09   #134
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Hmm, so if I would like to save a file I made myself (like a picture or some code I've written), I would have to support piracy by buying the stuff that was made exclusively for them? Intriguing argumentation there.
Old 11 March 2011, 14:23   #135
humble worm

as for all the blank CD's on market and the space they provide... Do you think "common people" are THAT creative?
Old 11 March 2011, 14:31   #136
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Right... because they were produced to support piracy in the first place.

We already pay a 'everyone-is-guilty' tax on CD/DVD/BluRay burners here in Germany, which is great as the industry gets at least some of their massive losses back

Last edited by TCD; 11 February 2013 at 15:02. Reason: Very late typo spotting...
Old 11 March 2011, 15:09   #137
humble worm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Right... because they were produced to support piracy in the first place.
No, just casual digression - I observe what 99% of them is used for. Or maybe its just the pathological environment I live in
Old 11 March 2011, 15:13   #138
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Nowadays you'd have to forbid the interwebs and harddisks, so I think if you're blaming the storage media, you're barking up the wrong tree. Again just my 2 groszy
Old 11 March 2011, 15:45   #139
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Somehow I guess that the fight against piracy hurts more than piracy. DRM is insulting and bullying the customers.
Old 11 March 2011, 15:48   #140
pubzombie

I was talking to a friend of mine who is the CEO of a small dev company. He was only mildly concerned about piracy. He was of the opinion that good games sell well. What concerned him most was publishers attitudes to marketing. A well marketed crap game can actually outsell a smaller good game and be much more damaging to the small dev than piracy. Hewas saying upto 80% of a triple AAA titles budget would be spent on marketing. This is a vast amount of money that small devs with possibly superiour products can't compete with. Thus the smaller devs can miss out on the very crucial quick turnaround period of initial release revenue.