English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 09 March 2012, 18:44   #41
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Yes turrican II is a great CPC game. No music but the speed is good And i'm not the only one to say that. (I own the game on tape on C64 LOL, 50 fps scroll but buy me another pair of eyes please XD).
New eyes? Because the CPC version has candy colors? Turrican II C64 destroys the CPC version in EVERY aspect, of course its not better than the Amiga version.

Quote:
About R-type 2, well, it's slow yes, but that's the point with this game. Yes Factor 5 should done better considering their latest titles like BC kid, or Turrican 2 indeed.
Well, Factor 5 did the first R-Type port. That's the point why R-Type 1 has a better playability than R-Type II.
Old 09 March 2012, 18:54   #42
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
New eyes? Because the CPC version has candy colors? Turrican II C64 destroys the CPC version in EVERY aspect, of course its not better than the Amiga version.
Fanboism inside, i own both machine, and while the music is quite good, i can't play for long, the "special" colors the c64 has kills my eyes.

the CPC release has nice colors, that are not killing the eyes. while the amiga and CPC or even ST release have nice colors, the c64 has hard to bear ones.

Quote:
Well, Factor 5 did the first R-Type port. That's the point why R-Type 1 has a better playability than R-Type II.
Hum hum, this is really factor5boism XD, R-type 2 is more complex than R-type.....
Old 09 March 2012, 19:02   #43
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Fanboism inside, i own both machine, and while the music is quite good, i can't play for long, the "special" colors the c64 has kills my eyes.
Thats indeed pure fanboy talk. I would always prefer the gameplay over colors. Couldn't care less about it, as long as the game is technically flawless. The CPC version can't compete, it is that simple.

Quote:
R-type 2 is more complex than R-type.....
And thats the excuse for a bad port?
Old 09 March 2012, 21:15   #44
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

C64 games are not flawless. I have bought many of them to get an idea of it, and no it's not. the CPC can indeed compete, if you let aside all those lazy speccy ports and all the games that were thrown out the legs, there are so many games that are WAY better than on c64 while many games on CPC lacks music and colors (R-type on CPC was done in 21 days by Keith Goodyear, the poor chap ).

R-type 2 smells a bit the atari ST, if it's what you want me to say But it still has my preference over R-type Amiga.
Old 09 March 2012, 21:22   #45
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Sorry, C64 games like Turrican 1+2, Giana Sisters, Armalyte, IO, Wizball...(add many more here) are indeed flawless. The CPC wasn't built to play arcade games, and you know that. Everthing else is fanboy talk.
Old 09 March 2012, 21:42   #46
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Flawless for what the computer is able to deliver XD. The CPC when correctly programmed, is able to push up excellent games (AMC 2 independant playfield, more colors than a correctly coded c64 can flush on screen, etc, etc, gryzor, chase HQ, Turrican 1 + 2 (for both, i guess that the bar was setted really high, hence the great result we had, because coders wanted to show what the CPC could do , Rick dangerous 1 + 2, dragon ninja, total recall, shinobi, double dragon 1 + 2, Robocop, target renegade, batman the movie, afterburner, all those were really better than their C64 counterparts. easy to compare, i bought them for c64.

The c64 has the speed, but no colors to do arcade games, that's why all the games i cited above are better on CPC.
Old 09 March 2012, 21:50   #47
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Firstable, not all mentioned games are better on the CPC. Target Renegade is cleary better on the C64. Rick Dangerous, Shinobi and Batman got proper C64 conversions. Games like Dragon Ninja, Afterburner, Total Recall, Robocop are crappy 8bit games/8bit ports. No matter what 8bit platform.

Quote:
The c64 has the speed, but no colors to do arcade games, that's why all the games i cited above are better on CPC.
You sound like a broken record. Colors = better game? Come on, matey. This is ridiculous. The CPC has no hardware scrolling, no highres sprites and a weak soundchip. A great handicap, if you want to produce quality Arcade games. Though the later CPC Plus/Amstrad GX4000 were a nice machines.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 09 March 2012 at 22:01.
Old 09 March 2012, 22:01   #48
Portugeeza1

retro-nerd what ever you have been smoking I want some also

I also had both the c64 and the cpc while the c64 killed the cpc in music the cpc just raped the c64 time and time again
Old 09 March 2012, 22:05   #49
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugeeza1 View Post
retro-nerd what ever you have been smoking I want some also

I also had both the c64 and the cpc while the c64 killed the cpc in music the cpc just raped the c64 time and time again
In you dreams maybe. Jerky scrolling, tiny viewable areas, lowres sprites? Yes, the CPC raped the C64. Surely.
Old 09 March 2012, 22:09   #50
Portugeeza1

oh what the c64 had a choice of a brown palette and if u did not like brown then to hell with u and most games would make ur eyes bleed or fall asleep?
Old 09 March 2012, 22:12   #51
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

And once again: What have colors to do with proper gameplay/a technically good programmed game?
Old 09 March 2012, 22:14   #52
Portugeeza1

well let me think with good colours u get good pictures, that was one of the reasons why I got myself an amiga so I could draw some good computer graphics.
Old 09 March 2012, 22:17   #53
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Still not a real answer to my question, because you don't have a proper argument here.
Old 09 March 2012, 22:21   #54
Portugeeza1

no why should i have an argument with a full on fan boy i mean i owned both systems and liked them both, but to me and dlfrsilver the cpc was better in every way.
this is a thread about Bubble Bobble 4 CPC no for c64.!
Old 09 March 2012, 22:23   #55
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Then why you post here in first place? Sorry, Denis and me hijacked the thread, because of his R-Type 2012 comment.
Old 09 March 2012, 22:24   #56
Portugeeza1

why did i post well to talk about the cpc as i had one and u? oh yes just to say how crap the cpc is oh silly me fan boy much?
Old 09 March 2012, 22:29   #57
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Guess why the c64 never sold correctly in France XD ! It was sold aside amstrad cpc, and other computers, and sorry, but people never understood why the c64 was sold so expensive when it was using so sad and badly assorted colors, even if it had speed and sound ! People prefer what looks beautiful (guess why to the contrary why the amiga was so sucessfull here ? Because it had the sound, the speed, AND the colored graphics ! Computers as a media has always been linked here to computer graphic art, and art (paintings or whatever else are beautiful because they are so colored )

Also the CPC never needed highres sprites, when you have some of the best designers (Azpiri and Royo) just to do a bit of name-droping making graphics for the CPC. I guess the reason is that the CPC has such brilliant and shiny colors like those of a pastel pen

Concerning Target Renegade, not only the CPC version is better (GFX, excellent playability, and i don't speak about the music and sound), same applies to renegade BTW.

Quote:
Firstable, not all mentioned games are better on the CPC. Target Renegade is cleary better on the C64. Rick Dangerous, Shinobi and Batman got proper C64 conversions. Games like Dragon Ninja, Afterburner, Total Recall, Robocop are crappy 8bit games/8bit ports. No matter what 8bit platform.
Fanboism get out of this body ! Robocop has excellent music, but sorry, it can't beat the cpc graphics not counting the digitised speech that the C64 doesn't have and can't do because it would mean slowing just more the tape loading XD . Because even here, the c64 games are as slow to load as my grandma need time to get up from her bed on mornings XD ! I name Robocop but i can name others like that.

It's easy to do a compare, i plug my C64 on a tv aside the CPC plugged on another TV, and let's roll the loading XD, the CPC finish the loading before the C64 hands up !
Old 09 March 2012, 22:39   #58
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Slow loading C64 games? Never heard of fastloader (in software/hardware/modules). Today it's eaven easier. Never had a lousy datasette.

Quote:
People prefer what looks beautiful
Maybe in France, clearly not in the most of the other countries in Europe or the USA. They all prefered the Commodore machine or the ZX Spectrum over the CPC. The C64 was designed as a console, with proper hardware components for that purpose. Later Jack Tramiel wanted a full computer, the C64.
Old 09 March 2012, 22:44   #59
Portugeeza1

its funny me and dlfrsilver are basing our information on facts like loading up 2 computers and seeing which loaded from tape faster, what are you basing yours on retro-nerd?
oh yeah you just had a c64 thats a good test no?
Old 09 March 2012, 22:44   #60
s2325
Zone Friend

Savage for Amstrad CPC: [ Show youtube player ]