Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhizz View Post
cool release?

Probably late 2024 / early 2025
Old 20 December 2023, 08:23   #43
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

News time!

A new coder has now joined the team and working on dynamic assets loading (which is a critical part of the engine currently missing). I am still looking for additional help on other stuff (most importantly music support) so anyone interested can take a look in this thread here : https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=116330

Also after an intense month of hard work (and much preparation before), the new Chaingun design is finally ready!

This one (especially the rotation frames) was extra difficult as these designs are done manually and from scratch with pixel art, without using 3d models, prerendered frames or other references.

Last edited by Tsak; 02 February 2024 at 04:05.
Old 20 December 2023, 08:29   #44
amifan
WhatIFF? Amiga Magazine

Looks fantastic, thanks for the update! Good luck with the rest of the work.
Old 20 December 2023, 08:29   #45
buzzybee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsak View Post
News time!

A new coder has now joined the team and working on dynamic assets loading (which is a critical part of the engine currently missing). I am still looking for additional help on other stuff (most importantly music support) so anyone interested can take a look in this thread here : https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=116330

This one (especially the rotation frames) was extra difficult as these designs are done manually and from scratch with pixel art, without using 3d models, prerendered frames or other references.
Managing a team for such an ambitious project is no small feat. Therefore, congrats on the new team member. May the loading code always work bug-free and as intended.

Pixel art chaingun must have taken many hours and countless iterations until you got it right. Looks fantastic!
Old 20 December 2023, 10:51   #46
nezumi

Quote:
as these designs are done manually and from scratch with pixel art, without using 3d models, prerendered frames or other references.
And it is definitely worth it as it looks absolutely gorgeous!
Old 20 December 2023, 10:58   #47
grond

The chaingun looks superb! I love the timing on the spin-down.
Old 20 December 2023, 11:25   #48
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by grond View Post
The chaingun looks superb! I love the timing on the spin-down.
It's not often that I think vector weapons in TKG were a mistake, but artwork like this does make me wish the option existed.
Old 20 December 2023, 11:27   #49
DisasterIncarna

looking good....as always.
Old 20 December 2023, 13:43   #50
vroom6sri

I'm really looking forward to playing this! It already looks stunning and so damn professional! Truly great work being done here.
Old 20 December 2023, 16:36   #51
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Le Magnifique Gattling!!
Old 20 December 2023, 19:59   #52
AlphaAmiga

That chaingun looks amazing!
Old 20 December 2023, 21:22   #53
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

A big KUDOS.
The animation and the details are simply so good that only a "whaou" came to mouth
Old 21 December 2023, 00:11   #54
Adropac2
Zone Friend

really looking forward to playing this one day
Old 21 December 2023, 02:53   #55
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

@everyone Thanks a lot guys!
If you like this I think you'll love the complete thing in action, along with its new sounds (getting very positive feedback about that as well)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzybee View Post
Managing a team for such an ambitious project is no small feat. Therefore, congrats on the new team member. May the loading code always work bug-free and as intended.
Thanks mate
Well, honestly I'm not doing anything exceptional in regards to managing the team, except being always available and replying fast to whatever everyone needs. Other than that I am mostly focused on my stuff. Progress with the code also happens rather slowly, so there is not a whole lot of activity that requires constant attention anyhow.

Probably once I am done for good with the pressing issue of replacing the weapons I will focus on getting us better organized (with the help of the team of course).

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzybee View Post
Pixel art chaingun must have taken many hours and countless iterations until you got it right.
Yup it sure did!
The Chaingun proved to be the most difficult weapon so far. I sincerely thought that crown would belong to the Shotgun but no, the Chaingun definitely was on a completely different difficulty level. There was a time I was thinking to compromise with a much more simple design. But -oh boy- I'm just glad I didn't eventually!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlos View Post
It's not often that I think vector weapons in TKG were a mistake, but artwork like this does make me wish the option existed.
Hah! Yup I know what you mean. Good sprites would also work fine with this game. I guess their choice to go with vector weapons was more of a nod to Quake than anything else. Decent enough though they still don't compare well with weapons from Genetic Species f.e. (which are probably the best in the entire Amiga library).

Speaking of which I really cannot stress enough how massively problematic the weapons issue has been with all Amiga fps games traditionally. Most either lacked in variety or just didn't have good enough designs (or did not include weapon sprites at all)! It baffles me really how much this absolutely crucial pillar of fps gunplay was neglected back then. Which is why I'm taking my time to get this right.
Old 21 December 2023, 04:01   #56
samo79

That chaingun is superb!
Old 21 December 2023, 10:09   #57
roondar

Grind has a great aesthetic and the new chain gun definitely fits brilliantly in this, great stuff
Old 21 December 2023, 10:38   #58
Gzegzolka

That animation looks hot
Old 21 December 2023, 11:51   #59
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Amazing stuff as always, Tsak.

This game is shaping up to be great.
Old 21 December 2023, 13:18   #60
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
Hah! Yup I know what you mean. Good sprites would also work fine with this game. I guess their choice to go with vector weapons was more of a nod to Quake than anything else. Decent enough though they still don't compare well with weapons from Genetic Species f.e. (which are probably the best in the entire Amiga library).
I think the vector models probably saved on memory too, since each frame is a relatively small amount of data. I does make me wonder what it could have looked like using the lightsourced bitmap rendering.