English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 24 June 2018, 17:33   #1
wairnair

Alien Breed 3D CD32 - Akiko C2P?

Title says it all, would it be possible to squeeze out a few more fps by replacing the C2P routine to utilise Akiko in the CD32 version?
I've read around here and found that it uses some "lores chunky mode" that uses the copper to render graphics.
Anyone with some more details?

I think the game plays almost OK with fast ram + stock 020@14mhz. Seeing that akiko was able to make the extra step with e.g. wing commander and gloom I think it could give a similar notch to AB3D.
Old 24 June 2018, 22:39   #2
eXeler0

Id be really surprised if this hasnt been discussed previously. (Have you googled it?)
But my 2 cents in a few words.. Yes, you could probably squeeze out *slightly* better frame rate out of it with the AKIKO but the game is so god damn slow anyway on a 020 without fastram so it would still suck, so motivation for doing its probably fairly low ;-)
The CD32 just wasn't designed for these kind of games because... Commodore..
Old 25 June 2018, 01:37   #3
wairnair

Yeah I tried, found discussion about 1x1-ifying it, converting from chunky copper to standard c2p or something like that but no akiko.
I know it'd be only for a couple of enthusiasts, but this is what this board is mostly about, right?
The more folks have the low-cost TF328 in their CD32's nowadays, with fast ram. I've never thought that doom would actually be anywhere near playable, but it seems akiko can lift some weight off of slow cpu's quite successfully.
What I don't know is whether it's feasible without a complete rewrite of the 3d engine. Anyone with some technical details?
Old 25 June 2018, 03:42   #4
redblade
Zone Friend

The source to AB3d in in the AB3d II source I think. I'm currently playing the AB3D II 2mb version engine on FS-UAE. It's really nice, I don't know how fast it ran on a standard A1200. It looks like a nice to mod to get Dark forces running on the Amiga with the automapper and everything.

I like the Alien Breed 3d engine as it also has floor and roof tiles and it also shows the weapon you are using.

You would most probably be able to use the GLOOM engine for a Alien Vs Predator port as that game was only 1 wall height and 1 roof / floor tile.

Good luck with the mod
Old 26 June 2018, 11:47   #5
wairnair

I've learned from none other than Mr. McGavin that "The 3D game engine would have to be changed to render to an ordinary chunky buffer before akiko could be used."

That makes this idea a bit too ambitious for the 30-40% gain it could possibly produce.
*sigh*
Old 27 June 2018, 23:05   #6
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by wairnair View Post
I've learned from none other than Mr. McGavin that "The 3D game engine would have to be changed to render to an ordinary chunky buffer before akiko could be used."

That makes this idea a bit too ambitious for the 30-40% gain it could possibly produce.
*sigh*

Yes probably...
There were quite a few discussions back in the day.. Peter McGavin, Steffen Housser, Aki Laukkanen, Jyrki Saarinen etc discussed this stuff in depth..

Over the years I've seen a couple of attempts at using different engine but reusing AB3d assets (essentially making a AB3d mod)
for example:
[ Show youtube player ]
So basically, if someone made a AB3d mod for an engine that uses AKIKO (Gloom Deluxe?) then that might actually be a "realistic workaround".
Old 29 June 2018, 13:03   #7
wairnair

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
So basically, if someone made a AB3d mod for an engine that uses AKIKO (Gloom Deluxe?) then that might actually be a "realistic workaround".
Great attempt though I'd still prefer the original game with smoother fps (despite the blockyness). If ever a new 030 expansion sees the light of day for the CD32..
Daydreaming, perhaps. But the TF328 did happen after all.
Old 30 June 2018, 00:39   #8
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by wairnair View Post
Great attempt though I'd still prefer the original game with smoother fps (despite the blockyness). If ever a new 030 expansion sees the light of day for the CD32..
Daydreaming, perhaps. But the TF328 did happen after all.

Dan Wood ran Sysinfo with the TF328 and it turns out it gives more than twice the speed of a stock A1200.
[ Show youtube player ]
Maybe that would give you a decent enough boost.
Old 06 July 2018, 13:30   #9
Glen M

Alien breed 3d is very playable on the standard graphical settings (which I think is a 2x2 mode) with the TF328. The only noticeable slowdown occurs when barrels explode. I think there is a keyboard shortcut to improve the graphics quality but I may be getting mixed up with AB3D2. I'd guess anything more detailed though would drastically hit performance.

Just for my own information if you fall into the pool on the first level how do you get out?

Last edited by Glen M; 06 July 2018 at 13:37.
Old 06 July 2018, 14:32   #10
Dunny

There's a lift - just walk onto it.