English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 29 January 2017, 17:20   #21
TCH
Newbie Amiga programmer

I don't know, maybe. But I did not wanted to have an 8 channel tracker to have channels for sound effects, but because the music already written has 7 channels.

Also, there is no need for mixing if you want to have sfx; phx's PtPlayer supports playing sound effects, during playing a PT module.
Old 29 January 2017, 17:53   #22
chb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
Feel free to correct if I'm wrong.

But Huelsbeck's games don't mix 2 channels into 4 for music while ingame, so the other 2 channels are free for sfx ?
No, for the seven voices it mixes four voices to one channel, giving three normal Paula channels and four lower-quality mixed channels. Comes from the fact that it originated from a 4-channel mixing routine for the Atari ST by Jochen Hippel to emulate the Amiga sound capabilities. Four channel mode is just normal Paula.

On a side node, mixing can be considerably accelerated if one sticks to pulse (square) waves. There was just a tracker for 8-channel-music released on the C64 (Polyanna), which plays three conventional voices through the SID chip* and five additional voices mixed into one sample-based voice. The latter ones are restricted to square waves. But there's no such replayer on the Amiga I know of, so you'd need to write it yourself, and it of course limits your musical possibilities a lot.

*those are not sample based
Old 30 January 2017, 04:41   #23
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Sometimes what cannot be done technically can be simulated with masterful execution, if your purpose is to have nice in-game music and fx;
One of the most famous example is wolfchild, that uses only two channels for music and i did not realized until i seen this video.
I am using a same method for Bridge Strike, Rygar, Proxima3 and R3D and results are impressive when done right.
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 30 January 2017, 05:40   #24
BuZz

Send a message via ICQ to BuZz
Another 8 channel music disk (uses Oktalyzer) music disk - [ Show youtube player ]

Oktalyzer has an object file for the play routine that can be linked against.

http://aminet.net/package/mus/play/ps3msrc has multichannel support (plays S3Ms, XMs, MTMs, MODs and FTMs) - may well be able to do 8 channels on a500
Old 30 January 2017, 19:16   #25
TCH
Newbie Amiga programmer

chb: Thanks for the tip, but i needed a sample based tracker.

saimon69: Shadow Fighter too, uses only two channels for ingame music. (This Wolfchild music constantly makes clicking noises, but that's maybe just the YT video.) However, the way would be this, to convert the 7 channel music to 4, but i don't know, if it's possible or not and it's not my call, but my musician friend's.

BuZz: Thanks, but the question is not that there are 8 channel capable trackers on the A500, but that is there one which is fast enough to do music during a game and this PS3M seems to be a very complex one; i doubt it's fast enough.
Old 30 January 2017, 19:35   #26
BuZz

Send a message via ICQ to BuZz
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsr View Post
BuZz: Thanks, but the question is not that there are 8 channel capable trackers on the A500, but that is there one which is fast enough to do music during a game and this PS3M seems to be a very complex one; i doubt it's fast enough.
It still may be one of the fastest, but there may well not be one fast enough for what you want - it depends how much rastertime you need for your game etc.
Old 30 January 2017, 22:56   #27
Anakirob
Unregistered User

I just noticed in another thread on this board that the HippoPlayer source code has been made available.

HippoPlayer is perhaps the best A500 compatible player, it's certainly fast enough to play 8ch modules at a modest mixing rate on the machine (although I DID have 2Mb of 24-Bit fastmem on my old A500+ via an A590, I also remember playing modules with up to 12 channels).

Using one of the multichannel replayers coded by the author could probably be your best bet at achieving you lofty goal of 8 channel music in an OCS game.

Also, how much fidelity do you require? Dropping the mixing rate and/or bit-depth down quite a bit could potentially make this more achievable.
Old 31 January 2017, 09:03   #28
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
saimon69: Shadow Fighter too, uses only two channels for ingame music. (This Wolfchild music constantly makes clicking noises, but that's maybe just the YT video.) However, the way would be this, to convert the 7 channel music to 4, but i don't know, if it's possible or not and it's not my call, but my musician friend's.
I did some time ago a thread on the Amiga Music facebook group where i did list some games that used two channel music, included Shadow Fighter (made by italians by the way )

About porting a seven channel music in four if not three it can be done albeit with some sacrifices; is what am doing for the soundtrack of Heroes of Might and Magic II and i did it recently for some songs that were at first planned for a PC indie game then rejected; i did rewrote those in three channels for a possible use in Catacomb 3D; some particulars were lost since i had to focus on the main melody.
Old 31 January 2017, 19:07   #29
TCH
Newbie Amiga programmer

BuZz: Good question. At this point, only the music exists, the game is just a plan. And i am a newbie in programming the Amiga, so i have no idea. I guess, first i should do the game and then try it out.

Anakirob: Thanks for pointing out, maybe some of the HP replayers will come in handy.

I am not necessarily want an eight channel track under the game, the problem is, that i would like to use my friend's tune and that is an 7 channeled Impulse Tracker module.

I am willing to make some sacrifices to the tune's quality, but can the replayers lower the mixing rate?

saimon69: That sounds good. If my friend says no to convert the tune into 4 channeled, then perhaps i may ask you to try it?
Old 31 January 2017, 19:34   #30
Estrayk

Quote:
BuZz: Good question. At this point, only the music exists, the game is just a plan. And i am a newbie in programming the Amiga, so i have no idea. I guess, first i should do the game and then try it out.

Anakirob: Thanks for pointing out, maybe some of the HP replayers will come in handy.

I am not necessarily want an eight channel track under the game, the problem is, that i would like to use my friend's tune and that is an 7 channeled Impulse Tracker module.

I am willing to make some sacrifices to the tune's quality, but can the replayers lower the mixing rate?

saimon69: That sounds good. If my friend says no to convert the tune into 4 channeled, then perhaps i may ask you to try it?
8ch Impuse Tracker mod meanwhile you play a game in a 7,14Mhz Amiga? sorry canĀ“t be.
Old 31 January 2017, 19:42   #31
TCH
Newbie Amiga programmer

I know, that playing an IT mod under a game would be impossible on a stock A500. This is why i wanted to convert it to a format which can be played more faster on the Amiga.
Old 31 January 2017, 20:43   #32
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Keep me posted in case.
Old 31 January 2017, 22:02   #33
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

8channel for a decent action game that needs to run in a frame on A5oo, is not likely. Even puzzle games can require lots of blits the same as a platformer.

There was a reason why Chris Hueslbeck was confined to using 7 channel TFMX only on titlescreens, because there was a lot less going on than in game.
Old 31 January 2017, 23:42   #34
TCH
Newbie Amiga programmer

saimon69: Thank you for offering. However my friend just told me, that he gonna try to do it, he says, it can be done.

Galahad: I see. Well, it seems, there will be a 4 channeled version of it, so maybe the problem is solved. But at least i learned a lot of new things.
Old 01 February 2017, 00:01   #35
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
saimon69: Thank you for offering. However my friend just told me, that he gonna try to do it, he says, it can be done.

Galahad: I see. Well, it seems, there will be a 4 channeled version of it, so maybe the problem is solved. But at least i learned a lot of new things.
Plenty of guys on here that can perform mod miracles, the likes of adrdesign might be able to help get the best out of it.
Old 01 February 2017, 03:03   #36
Estrayk

Well, I made 20 years ago an "experiment" 6ch. module in 4ch-Protracker. (forget the melody, was just a test never released)

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 01 February 2017, 07:36   #37
Anakirob
Unregistered User

I had a thought. If you don't have the CPU to calculate channel mixing, why not pre-render mixed channels? The easiest way to impliment it would be to manualy mix it down to a 2-3 channel PT MOD. If the music has lots of repeating elements it could be effective.
Old 01 February 2017, 19:55   #38
TCH
Newbie Amiga programmer

Galahad: I believe. If my friend gives up, then i'll ask help here.

Estrayk: I like this tune. Can i have the MOD? Or it's not public?

Anakirob: You mean pre-render 4 channel to one and store them as samples? I think that would take too much space. Or if you mean small pieces of the song, then it would exceed the number of allowed samples of PT. Or what exactly do you mean?
Old 01 February 2017, 22:38   #39
Estrayk

Quote:

Estrayk: I like this tune. Can i have the MOD? Or it's not public?
http://amp.dascene.net/detail.php?de...ules&view=2539
http://amp.dascene.net/downmod.php?index=25050
Old 01 February 2017, 23:52   #40
TCH
Newbie Amiga programmer

Thank you. I see you've made a lot of tunes. I'm gonna check some, because if you say "no nice melodies" to this tune, then the others must have an even better melody.