English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 30 July 2009, 16:47   #1
Marcuz

[req] ECS EoB data (CPS etc) extractor on Windows

i tryed following track of such a tool in the various EoB threads, but i cannot find any, as the discussions are lenghty and kinda garbled.

so, for future reference too, i wanted to ask if you guys know of such a tool, as WestPak seems not to be of help with non AGA (VGA) graphics.
Old 30 July 2009, 19:15   #2
Marcuz

forgot to say: if such a tool doesn't exist, the ECS graphics from both EoB1 and 2 were extracted on amiga with some sort of program? i never had any success with UnCPS, though
Old 31 July 2009, 01:48   #3
Vairn
The Grim-Button

you want all the gfx marco? hmm, I might be able to get something this weekend, for ya. It will work, but will be command line based. hehe.
Old 31 July 2009, 10:14   #4
Marcuz

Vairn, it would be ok even command based, as long as it works with ECS graphics, both in EoB1 and 2 (which may be different in format?);
i want to try to extract images from a supposedly hacked EoB data disk. probably it's nothing but since such a tool is useful anyway...

thank you!
Old 31 July 2009, 19:55   #5
Marcuz

as an afterthought, may i ask also if it is not too much a hassle to add an option to recompress the files after having edited them?

thank you a lot!
Old 02 August 2009, 03:55   #6
Vairn
The Grim-Button

hmm, maybe you shall get compression. It will need more testing though. I may just store them as uncompressed. :/ hmm.
Old 02 August 2009, 06:17   #7
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Varin

if memory serves its a simple byte tag to note compression or not, if its present it runs it through the RLE decompressor...

wow, its been a while since I last coded here..

@Marco

the UNCPS does work, it just places it in RAW data, from there it needs to be converted to Bitmap data.... I did actually write one... alas the latter being command line only... but its been so long.... I will try and hunt
Old 02 August 2009, 10:06   #8
Marcuz

Vairn thank you, but if it as the moment an hassle, don't bother yet... i'll send you a PM in minutes...

Zetr0: i did indeed try your tool, which on ECS files does decompress some of them (maybe other too, if the compression mode has to be changed manually, which i did not as i did not needed it at the time: the specific file that i needed to decompress, was decompressed indeed]

but then i ended with 40000 or 40064 bytes files that i did not know how to open (they are not IFF and i thought that no conversion was needed).

can i do such a conversion manually?
Old 02 August 2009, 12:41   #9
Vairn
The Grim-Button

I have put a first release version in the zone, it is for PC. tested with EOB1 and EOB2 Amiga, and Eob2 PC.

It saves them out as bitmap. sorry for the exe size, but it comes with freeimage linked in. .. damn bloaty software, the exe is less then 100k otherwise. hehe.
Old 02 August 2009, 13:03   #10
Marcuz

i fear that if it is > 6Mb it hasn't been saved in the zone; can you split it up?
Old 02 August 2009, 13:44   #11
Vairn
The Grim-Button

it was 600k compressed. hmm, it is back up now, I don't "recall" deletting it.
Also shoved it on the eob wiki.

Laters.
Old 02 August 2009, 14:06   #12
Marcuz

It works perfectly! thank you!
Old 22 August 2009, 19:31   #13
Marcuz

2 questions about uncps.exe:

- why does it points by default to the azure.pal palette (which is in EoB2) even in EoB1' files decompression?
is it needed because of some special cause or it is just a leftover? (it is not a problem either way)

- which files are needed to be used as palette source for the wallsets and decorations in EoB 1 ECS? tryed as i might, i seem not to be able to find the correct colors for the levels. (brick.cps, blue.cps. etc.)

thanks!
Old 23 August 2009, 07:47   #14
Vairn
The Grim-Button

I justed needed a default one incase you didn't override it, so that is the most generic one for EOB2.

As with the walls, the wall palette themselves are stored inside, the vcn, files. since only the pc eob1 has palettes. so the bricks are in brick.vcn, etc.
Old 23 August 2009, 08:37   #15
JackAsser

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco pedrana View Post
2 questions about uncps.exe:

- why does it points by default to the azure.pal palette (which is in EoB2) even in EoB1' files decompression?
is it needed because of some special cause or it is just a leftover? (it is not a problem either way)

- which files are needed to be used as palette source for the wallsets and decorations in EoB 1 ECS? tryed as i might, i seem not to be able to find the correct colors for the levels. (brick.cps, blue.cps. etc.)

thanks!
It's all in the wiki. http://eob.wikispaces.com/eob.vcn#Amiga

Old 23 August 2009, 10:33   #16
Marcuz

thanks guys: so bricks1.cps has the palette in the file bricks.vcn, as one would expect,
except that with the ECS version of EoB 1, with files imported from the disks, the uncps.exe' output has garbled colors!

that the reason of me asking
Old 24 August 2009, 03:12   #17
Vairn
The Grim-Button

hmm, ok. I shall look into that for you when I get home from work.
Old 25 August 2009, 09:45   #18
JackAsser

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco pedrana View Post
thanks guys: so bricks1.cps has the palette in the file bricks.vcn, as one would expect,
except that with the ECS version of EoB 1, with files imported from the disks, the uncps.exe' output has garbled colors!

that the reason of me asking
Hehe, annoying. But as stated on the wiki, the ECS-version doesn't hold a complete palette in the VCN-file, but instead you must use the palette from invent.cps and replace the colors using the VCN-file.
Old 25 August 2009, 11:40   #19
Marcuz

yeah Jack, i did read that bit, but i'm not sure it's correctly implemented here, or, at least, i misunderstand the ties between cps and vcn: using a brick.vcn as source for the colours for brick1.cps produces a really strange mix of colours in the extracted file, even taking in account the invent.cps.

that's why i asked for a double check. in any case, it's not a major problem (for the purpose i'm using this tool, i.e. assembling a low-colour template of all graphic in the first level) because i can safely extract AGA files (i think) or recolour easily the bitmap file by hand.