English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 04 March 2017, 20:23   #21
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Very cool, well done!

Are the enemies/character gfx just placeholders or original? They look pretty lovely!

*edit: I'd suggest to implement scolling the screen down when you press 'down', so you can safely track your route when you want to move that way. Blind jumps are unfair when it involves moving characters and hazards in those platforms.

Last edited by Tsak; 04 March 2017 at 20:32.
Old 04 March 2017, 21:06   #22
alpine9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsak View Post
Very cool, well done!

Are the enemies/character gfx just placeholders or original? They look pretty lovely!

*edit: I'd suggest to implement scolling the screen down when you press 'down', so you can safely track your route when you want to move that way. Blind jumps are unfair when it involves moving characters and hazards in those platforms.
All of the graphics are placeholders - the humanoid character are arcade rips which is why they look so good. The dragon is stock game art that I pixelised.

And yeah, the blind drops are unfair, the scrolling system is still evolving. It's a bit of a challenge because I want the character to move really quickly and that can make it difficult to keep the character on the screen without jerky scrolling.
Old 09 March 2017, 23:12   #23
warfalcon

Damn, this already looks totally awesome. Can not wait to see the final version. Blocky Skies was already an excellent game, very innovatine and fun! Good work man!
Old 11 March 2017, 07:01   #24
alpine9000

I made a small video as I tested out adding a small game optimisation. It shows me working out the FS-UAE visual DMA debugger and also highlights some debug features in my game that make it easy to measure optimisation speed.

Something a bit different from your average "work in progress" game demo.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 13 March 2017, 15:18   #25
Leffmann

Good video it's always interesting to see how people go about these things.
Old 14 March 2017, 10:20   #26
alpine9000

Probably the #1 bit of feedback from Blocky Skies, resolved for the new game:

Works for both the trackloader and HD versions.

Not sure about CD32, is there any non volatile storage on it at all ?
Old 14 March 2017, 10:29   #27
attle

The CD32 has a few kB of NVRAM, yes.
Old 14 March 2017, 10:30   #28
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine9000 View Post
Not sure about CD32, is there any non volatile storage on it at all ?
Yes, the CD32 has nv storage.. easiest way to access it is through nonvolatile.library, but it uses dos, so you must enable multitasking, iirc.
Old 14 March 2017, 10:30   #29
alpine9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by attle View Post
The CD32 has a few kB of NVRAM, yes.
If it's only a few KB I'm assuming it's considered poor form to use it for your games high scores :-)
Old 14 March 2017, 10:32   #30
alpine9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverphonique View Post
Yes, the CD32 has nv storage.. easiest way to access it is through nonvolatile.library, but it uses dos, so you must enable multitasking, iirc.
For the HD version I save the hi scores using dos after the OS has been resurrected (on quit).
Old 14 March 2017, 10:34   #31
attle

Quote:
If it's only a few KB I'm assuming it's considered poor form to use it for your games high scores :-)

Not at all, that's what Pinball Fantasies does for instance. But the storage capacity is tiny IIRC.
Old 14 March 2017, 10:35   #32
alpine9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by attle View Post
Not at all, that's what Pinball Fantasies does for instance. But the storage capacity is tiny IIRC.
Ok cool - something to look into.
Old 15 March 2017, 14:57   #33
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

Quote:
For the HD version I save the hi scores using dos after the OS has been resurrected (on quit).
ok, then nonvolatile.lib may be the way to go.. it will save to envarc: if nv-mem is not available, thus transparently also work on non-CD32. Also, there's a trick to redirect it to disk on CD32 as well, if one so desires.
There's a thread about all of that right here on the forum, iirc.
Old 07 May 2017, 03:38   #34
alpine9000

I have been side tracked a little bit the past few weeks as I adapted the Climby Skies engine to do a little game demo for the Amiga Wave guys.

Sneak peek:

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 07 May 2017, 07:23   #35
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

If they fancy some tune for the high score i autorize them to use this tune, strongly inspired by the firemen choir scene that i did like ten years ago... let me know and will send you the mod file

Old 13 August 2017, 22:30   #36
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
[ Show youtube player ]
Nice to have the DMA Debugger, but do you or anybody else have any idea to turn it off again?

Greets,
Michael
Old 18 August 2017, 11:02   #37
Ozzyboshi

tried to compile climby skies from github sources, no luck, did anyone successully compiled the whole project and help me doing it on a ubuntu 14.04 laptop?
Old 18 August 2017, 11:05   #38
alpine9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzyboshi View Post
tried to compile climby skies from github sources, no luck, did anyone successully compiled the whole project and help me doing it on a ubuntu 14.04 laptop?
I'll email you. I built it under ubuntu when I was helping bebbo find bugs in the gcc port.
Old 24 August 2017, 14:54   #39
Ozzyboshi

after a few troubled days and with some help from alpine9000 I managed to compile and produce a valid adf file out of the sources, I followed the instructions but it was not so easy, I stumbled upon some code errors caused by updated libraries, files not longer available and more but at the end I succeeded.
To prevent losing the compile environment and to port it to other machine I decided to write a Docker image, so, if you have Docker installed on your system and you want to compile this game it's very easy and can me done with 2 instructions

1. git clone https://github.com/alpine9000/climbyskies.git
2. docker run --rm -it -v #CLONEDGAMEDIR#:/project/repos/climbyskies ozzyboshi/climbyskies

The image is quite big (about 3 gigs) because of bebbo's gcc compiler that is mandatory to compile.

You will probably encounter a compilation error saying that the P61 files are missing, you can use your own music files to build this project or ask help from alpine9000 directly.
Don't look for them inside the alpine9000's github repository, he won't publish it due to copyright issues.
Old 26 August 2017, 00:56   #40
alpine9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzyboshi View Post
after a few troubled days and with some help from alpine9000 I managed to compile and produce a valid adf file out of the sources, I followed the instructions but it was not so easy, I stumbled upon some code errors caused by updated libraries, files not longer available and more but at the end I succeeded.
To prevent losing the compile environment and to port it to other machine I decided to write a Docker image, so, if you have Docker installed on your system and you want to compile this game it's very easy and can me done with 2 instructions

1. git clone https://github.com/alpine9000/climbyskies.git
2. docker run --rm -it -v #CLONEDGAMEDIR#:/project/repos/climbyskies ozzyboshi/climbyskies

The image is quite big (about 3 gigs) because of bebbo's gcc compiler that is mandatory to compile.

You will probably encounter a compilation error saying that the P61 files are missing, you can use your own music files to build this project or ask help from alpine9000 directly.
Don't look for them inside the alpine9000's github repository, he won't publish it due to copyright issues.
You could delete the gcc git repo and build folders once gcc is installed if you wanted to make the image smaller.