English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Entertainment

Old 16 April 2018, 11:44   #2161
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

the Conjuring.

I've skipped over this one and its sequel for a long time because I'm really not impressed by all the horror movies released nowadays and I'm not really into the ones that are just there to deliver jump scares. So it just got lost in all the Sinisters, Insidiouses, Paranormal Activities and whatnot.

But especially with the addition of Annabelle: Creation and more spinoffs focusing on particular entities in the movie on the way I was getting kind of curious about this one as it seemed to be a better franchise than most with a good bit of lore giving it a rich back story.

Turned out to be correct; its a slightly more serious version of Poltergeist filled to the brim with every haunted house cliche you can think of. Its not really scary, gory or original but its really well-crafted with nice effects, good use of the camera, excellent use of audio/silence and music and some very good acting.

Love it!

Old 16 April 2018, 12:22   #2162
DamienD
Global Moderator

Yeah, The Conjuring was very good.

Second one is cool too.

The spin-offs i.e. Annabelle wasn't great though...
Old 17 April 2018, 14:11   #2163
lucky6
My Custom Title

The last movie I've watched is the maze runner 3 and it was really amazing.
Old 17 April 2018, 14:56   #2164
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Saw Daddy's Home 2 (2017) - got everything you can except from movie like this - couple good laughs, rare option to see Mel Gibson in movie and some just crazy things you can except from Will Ferrell. End of movie featured real hero Sully, pilot who landed plane in Hudson River.

Completely agree with IMDB: 6/10
Old 17 April 2018, 21:19   #2165
Paul_s
Stuck in the 80s

The Breakfast Club (1985).

Need I say more? Recent Criterion HD release looks great
Old 18 April 2018, 19:58   #2166
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
The Breakfast Club (1985).

Need I say more? Recent Criterion HD release looks great
And the Soundtrack, "Don't you, forget about me."

Old 21 April 2018, 23:06   #2167
Paul_s
Stuck in the 80s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmijo View Post
And the Soundtrack, "Don't you, forget about me."

Oh yes, I ordered the soundtrack after viewing it

Watched it around 10 years and didn't really like it, but this time I loved it... lot more appreciation for it now. Not sure why I feel that way... perhaps the simplicity of the times in 1985 compared to what we have now. It was just so refreshing to watch and how people interacted with each other.
Old 28 April 2018, 23:11   #2168
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Ghostbusters (2016)

Hey, it was on Netflix so I thought why not go see how bad it is.

Except that it wasn't, I had good fun watching it. Sure its more of a spook-comedy designed to scare no more than kids, but was the original Ghostbusters any different?

No. Classic fun, really. Some good jokes. And some really lame ones too of course. Its good but not great.

6.9/10
Old 30 April 2018, 17:27   #2169
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

LOL...

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...postcount=2042

I have Orient Express @ home, but didn't have time to watch it, since we went to see Jon Bon Jovi's concert. (family ) 35 years and still rocking...
Old 30 April 2018, 23:38   #2170
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Well, I'm glad we agree
Old 04 May 2018, 22:28   #2171
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Avengers: Infinity War

IMDB score: 9.0. My - mind - explodes. What the fuck is going on here!? A NINE!?

This movie should have been called Thanos: Infinity War. This is it, the culmination of 10 years of Marvel movies. What we get is almost every Marvel character still living shoe horned into this one three hour movie... which means most of them have around 2 minutes of screen time. Mostly because this is three hours of introducing you to a new massively important Marvel character. The ultimate bad guy: Thanos.

Thank god for Josh Brolin because he makes the character come alive in a way all the CGI cannot. This is a really, really, really good bad guy. Conflicting, unique, multidimensional - a real treat to watch and to love and hate. For three hours, as this really is one long love poem to Thanos. Maybe they should have done a tiny bit more introducing in one of the past hundred movies so the actual Avengers could have had a tiny bit more presence here.

So fun movie right? Well... no, not really. Its a really bleak piece of film that lacks most of what makes Marvel movies good, especially the latest ones that like to be abnormally strange and funny. Tossing every character in together just makes it painfully obvious that they're paired; the preset pairs work very well, but intermixed things just look out of place as their styles just don't mesh. Sure it has a few moments but that's unlike most Marvel movies which are filled to the brim with moments.

Its Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows part 1 all over again, another bleak and not fun movie. It exists because they split a single story up into two movies, where one is basically just setting up the other by allowing the bad guy to go rampant. The setup movie lacks what makes a movie fun and then the second one is good but is lugging around some baggage in the form of its fun-sapping predecessor. The next Avengers movie is no different; I'm sure it will be awesome as this setup movie really does its job to make it awesome... by being not good and making you want to see how they undo all the damage that this movie does.

6.5/10. That's me, I can imagine that you like this movie. But a bleeping NINE!? IMDB is dead to me.
Old 05 May 2018, 01:27   #2172
haps
Rumpig

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
6.5/10. That's me, I can imagine that you like this movie. But a bleeping NINE!? IMDB is dead to me.
IMDB has been a joke for a long time, the vast majority of the people who post in their discussions and do reviews are slack jawed imbeciles who would have trouble differentiating their armpit from their arsehole, especially the ones who try to come across as intellectual by picking a movie apart over the most pedantic of things. The only thing I ever use the site for is reading the overview or trying to hunt down old movies I cant remember the name of.
Old 05 May 2018, 07:14   #2173
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by haps View Post
IMDB has been a joke for a long time, the vast majority of the people who post in their discussions and do reviews are slack jawed imbeciles who would have trouble differentiating their armpit from their arsehole, especially the ones who try to come across as intellectual by picking a movie apart over the most pedantic of things. The only thing I ever use the site for is reading the overview or trying to hunt down old movies I cant remember the name of.
True enough. This is one-upping the usual bullshit by quite a margin though.
Old 05 May 2018, 12:34   #2174
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Ghostbusters (2016)

Hey, it was on Netflix so I thought why not go see how bad it is.

Except that it wasn't, I had good fun watching it.
Really? I thought it was a steaming pile of poop and deleted the file off my hard drive after watching
Old 07 May 2018, 23:50   #2175
volvo_0ne

Has anyone seen "a quiet place" yet?

Is it worth a looky?
Old 08 May 2018, 01:06   #2176
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Avengers: Infinity War

IMDB score: 9.0. My - mind - explodes. What the fuck is going on here!? A NINE!?

This movie should have been called Thanos: Infinity War. This is it, the culmination of 10 years of Marvel movies. What we get is almost every Marvel character still living shoe horned into this one three hour movie... which means most of them have around 2 minutes of screen time. Mostly because this is three hours of introducing you to a new massively important Marvel character. The ultimate bad guy: Thanos.

Thank god for Josh Brolin because he makes the character come alive in a way all the CGI cannot. This is a really, really, really good bad guy. Conflicting, unique, multidimensional - a real treat to watch and to love and hate. For three hours, as this really is one long love poem to Thanos. Maybe they should have done a tiny bit more introducing in one of the past hundred movies so the actual Avengers could have had a tiny bit more presence here.

So fun movie right? Well... no, not really. Its a really bleak piece of film that lacks most of what makes Marvel movies good, especially the latest ones that like to be abnormally strange and funny. Tossing every character in together just makes it painfully obvious that they're paired; the preset pairs work very well, but intermixed things just look out of place as their styles just don't mesh. Sure it has a few moments but that's unlike most Marvel movies which are filled to the brim with moments.

Its Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows part 1 all over again, another bleak and not fun movie. It exists because they split a single story up into two movies, where one is basically just setting up the other by allowing the bad guy to go rampant. The setup movie lacks what makes a movie fun and then the second one is good but is lugging around some baggage in the form of its fun-sapping predecessor. The next Avengers movie is no different; I'm sure it will be awesome as this setup movie really does its job to make it awesome... by being not good and making you want to see how they undo all the damage that this movie does.

Totally disagree here. Marvel took the brave step to do all the character building stuff in the previous Marvel movies, it was a massive gamble to make Infinity War a character building exercise for Thanos, and it worked, worked very well.

It had plenty of humourous moments, but it couldnt and shouldnt have been a wall to wall laugh a thon like Thor: Ragnarok, this was Thanos, built up over several movies, spoken of in hushed tones, he is death to half the universe. Humour had its moments in previous Marvel movies, there were less moments in Infinity War.

Thought it was decent, certainly better than Age of Ultron, and knew after Winter Soldier and Civil War, Avengers was back in safe hands.
Old 08 May 2018, 14:42   #2177
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Totally disagree here. Marvel took the brave step to do all the character building stuff in the previous Marvel movies, it was a massive gamble to make Infinity War a character building exercise for Thanos, and it worked, worked very well.

It had plenty of humourous moments, but it couldnt and shouldnt have been a wall to wall laugh a thon like Thor: Ragnarok, this was Thanos, built up over several movies, spoken of in hushed tones, he is death to half the universe. Humour had its moments in previous Marvel movies, there were less moments in Infinity War.

Thought it was decent, certainly better than Age of Ultron, and knew after Winter Soldier and Civil War, Avengers was back in safe hands.
I agree with Master Galahad here, movie was just about right and and what I expected for first encounter with Thanos. It was kind of time for their sorry @sses to be kicked a bit. I like that we were able to see both, good and bad side of Thanos, and love that we learned bit more about Gamora. Sure, not 9/10, but for sure it is worth 8.5/10.

Speaking of 9/10, finally was able to see Murder on The Orient Express (2017). I saw also some extra about making characters and movie and just woow, what a great movie. Most likely next movie I will see in movie theater.

And another movie that I really liked and somehow missed first time around: Arrival (2016) - from very believable reaction to possible arrival of aliens, to wonderful story, acting, language and concept of time. Film is based on real life theory that language we speak effects how our brain works. Makes you wonder if learning completely new language might rewrite and restructure brain. Movie also makes you wonder, if you know what comes in your life, would you be brave enough to live it? Lots philosophy for a science fiction movie. 8.5/10

Last edited by Anubis; 08 May 2018 at 15:04.
Old 11 May 2018, 05:46   #2178
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Although it lacks a bit in terms of action and ends up rather abruptly, I can recommend Enemy (2013). It features Jake Gyllenhaal, which you may know from his role in Donnie Darko, among others.
Old 11 May 2018, 12:45   #2179
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Yeah I knew I was going to be in a minority regarding Infinity War since the entire world is raving about the movie
Old 11 May 2018, 14:44   #2180
Apollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
[...]
And another movie that I really liked and somehow missed first time around: Arrival (2016) - from very believable reaction to possible arrival of aliens, to wonderful story, acting, language and concept of time. Film is based on real life theory that language we speak effects how our brain works. Makes you wonder if learning completely new language might rewrite and restructure brain. Movie also makes you wonder, if you know what comes in your life, would you be brave enough to live it? Lots philosophy for a science fiction movie. 8.5/10
In the end 'Arrival' was that kind of a movie what I hoped 'Interstellar' could be: a deep, inspiring sci-fi movie with a story to think about and room for interpretation. 'Arrival' does not try to explain everything and that makes it unique amongst nowadays science fiction movies. Even 'Interstellar' tries to give us an legit explanation what is happening.