English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 24 January 2018, 09:57   #401
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARALAX View Post
I'm currently testing the final Version of 3.6.0 and I note that obviously the "Data Cache Emulation" under "CPU and FPU" has no effect and will be turned off again when entering the configuration menu. Also this option will not be saved to any config file. I tried this with my usual 68060-Emulation used in many versions before.
If you use any UAE expansion, boot ROM type mode must be set to "indirect" mode.

EDIT: don't enable it unless you know what are doing with it It will only cause slowdown in emulation, it is imho only useful if you are developer or want to confirm if some real hardware crash is due to self-modifying code etc..

Quote:
Furthermore it's not possible to record videos under "output"-option, no matter which codec I choose. The emulation is incredibly slow after starting to record (tested with Lagarith lossless and XVid MPEG-4 codec). I have not the latest PC but I think a Core i7 3770 CPU with 3,4 Ghz. should be more than enough to record videos even with my old Windows 7 setup. I've attached my configuration file here, so maybe someone could find out what's wrong with the WinUAE-Setup but I think it's a bug because I was able to record perfectly with older versions.
Try "capture before filtering" option. VRAM reads may or may not be really slow, depends on selected mode (directdraw, d3d9, d3d11) and drivers and other unknown parts..

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 24 January 2018 at 11:07.
Old 25 January 2018, 00:33   #402
PARALAX

Send a message via ICQ to PARALAX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Try "capture before filtering" option. VRAM reads may or may not be really slow, depends on selected mode (directdraw, d3d9, d3d11) and drivers and other unknown parts..
Thanks, this works perfectly for me.
Old 25 January 2018, 11:59   #403
Amiga68k

Below you can see my findings of testing the various configurations I have in relation to my Display driver settings. My WinUAE setup consists of two scenarios I use frequently.

Scenario 1, Games setup (OS3.1 RTG, WHDLoad)

Goal of this setup: proper framerate on Native display using D3D11 in combination with Low latency VSync

- Intel HD settings: 50p Hz

The following two combinations work as desired (work as desired = above mentioned goal reached):
1. Full screen, 720 x 576 with setting 'Default refresh rate', Triple buffering on Host Display tab
2. Windowed, 720 x 576 with setting 'Default refresh rate', Triple buffering on Host Display tab

- Intel HD settings: 60p Hz Refresh Rate

The following combination works as desired:
1. Full screen, 720 x 576 with setting '50Hz PAL', Triple buffering on Host Display tab

The second combination doesn't work as desired:
2. Windowed, 720 x 576 with setting '50Hz PAL', Triple buffering on Host Display tab

Setting the Refresh rate on the Host Display tab doesn't seem to cause a change, both default and 50 Hz PAL cause an increase in speed (sound output has a higher pitch). Is this related to the 'Windowed' setup? Is it not possible to change FPS in Windowed mode?

Looking at the above situation, there is a solution for this issue: put the Intel HD settings on 50p Hz. Unfortunately this causes some bad side-effects for my second scenario:

Scenario 2, Productivity setup (OS3.9 RTG, 68060, Toccata, etc.)

Goal of this scenario: proper sound output on RTG display

- Intel HD settings: 60p Hz

The following two combinations work as desired:

1. Windowed, 1024 x 768 with setting 'Chipset', Double buffering on Hardware RTG board tab
2. Full screen, 1024 x 768 with setting 'Chipset', Double buffering on Hardware RTG board tab

Sound output: OK

- Intel HD settings: 50p Hz

The following combination works as desired:
1. Windowed, 1024 x 768 with setting 'Chipset', Double buffering on Hardware RTG board tab

The second combination doesn't work as desired:
2. Full screen, 1024 x 768 with setting '50', Double buffering on Hardware RTG board tab

Sound output: NOK. Better than having the setting on 'Chipset', Double buffering on Hardware RTG board tab (which causes a real slow-down in sound output), but still 'cracks' are heard with peaks in volume.

To conclude my findings:

- For the Games setup, the Intel HD settings: 50p Hz is perfect
- For the Productivity setup, the Intel HD settings: 60p Hz is perfect

Is there a possibility to have perfect conditions without touching the Intel HD settings? What do you need from me to be able to investigate should something go wrong?
Old 25 January 2018, 12:05   #404
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Only way to automatically (and instantly without any glitches) change physical monitor refresh rate in windowed mode is g-sync (or probably also freesync) compatible GPU and display.

You sure mode is really 50Hz even when in fullscreen? (Usually it is only available when connected via HDMI and when using HD TV resolutions)
Old 25 January 2018, 12:25   #405
Amiga68k

Quote:
Only way to automatically (and instantly without any glitches) change physical monitor refresh rate in windowed mode is g-sync (or probably also freesync) compatible GPU and display.
Ah, understood. So a 50Hz window is not possible on a 60Hz display when you don't meet above mentioned requirements (g-sync / freesync).

Quote:
You sure mode is really 50Hz even when in fullscreen? (Usually it is only available when connected via HDMI and when using HD TV resolutions)
Display is connected via HDMI. Which 50Hz fullscreen setting are you referring too? When having the Intel HD settings on 50 or 60? Which scenario?
Old 25 January 2018, 13:34   #406
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Never mind (I missed it was about 50Hz RTG), 50Hz in RTG can cause side-effects because "hidden" chipset mode may be 50hz or 60hz depending on RTG settings. So it is best not to select "chipset". (It can be useful in some vsync modes.) RTG in real world usually is 60Hz because usual display device is VGA monitor which rarely support 50Hz.
Old 25 January 2018, 14:36   #407
Amiga68k

Ok, so now Scenario 1 (Gaming in Native resolution) is starting to become clear for me:

- Intel HD settings Refresh Rate on 50p Hz works correctly in Full screen and Windowed Low Latency VSync mode
- Intel HD settings Refresh Rate on 60p Hz works correctly in Full screen (50 Hz PAL) Low Latency VSync mode
- Intel HD settings Refresh Rate on 60p Hz doesn't work in a Windowed Low Latency VSync mode because I don't have a g-sync / freesync setup. I need to disable Low Latency VSync for the framerate (and sound) to be correct (gameplay isn't as smooth then though, especially Pinball Dreams ).

Is the above correct?

Now back to the sound output in Scenario 2. All is working fine when having Intel HD settings Refresh Rate on 60p (Full screen and Windowed).

That's not the case when having Intel HD settings Refresh Rate on 50p. Windowed = OK. Full screen = 'cracking' sound.

Do you see a possible combination of settings where this could be fixed? Or should I just keep my Intel HD settings on a Refresh Rate of 60p and as a consequence live with the degradation of smootness in Windowed Gaming mode?
Old 26 January 2018, 17:09   #408
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Can't answer without details. Attach winuaelog.txt and config file. (log = tick logging option in paths panel to enable it)
Old 27 January 2018, 11:33   #409
Amiga68k

Quote:
All is working fine when having Intel HD settings Refresh Rate on 60p (Full screen and Windowed).
Please find 60p.winuaebootlog.txt and 60p.winuaelog.txt attached.

Code:
D3D11 FindClosestMatchingMode1() 64935064/1083264=59.94 SLO=1 W=1024 H=768
Configuration file also attached (Test.uae).

Quote:
That's not the case when having Intel HD settings Refresh Rate on 50p. Windowed = OK. Full screen = 'cracking' sound.
Besides cracks in the sound, pitch is also too low.

Please find 50p.winuaebootlog.txt and 50p.winuaelog.txt attached.

Code:
D3D11 FindClosestMatchingMode1() 148500000/2970000=50.00 SLO=1 W=1024 H=768
Improvement is seen when putting the Refresh rate on 50 on the RTG board tab: pitch = OK, still occasional cracks in the sound.

Please find 50p.RTG50.winuaebootlog.txt and 50p.RTG50.winuaelog.txt attached.
Attached Files
File Type: uae Test.uae (13.1 KB, 116 views)
File Type: txt 60p.winuaebootlog.txt (12.4 KB, 114 views)
File Type: txt 60p.winuaelog.txt (47.0 KB, 112 views)
File Type: txt 50p.winuaebootlog.txt (12.4 KB, 109 views)
File Type: txt 50p.winuaelog.txt (47.0 KB, 121 views)
File Type: txt 50p.RTG50.winuaebootlog.txt (12.4 KB, 112 views)
File Type: txt 50p.RTG50.winuaelog.txt (46.9 KB, 126 views)
Old 27 January 2018, 17:11   #410
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Toccata needs to use CPU to transfer data to tiny 1K buffer (It is not DMA), not using fastest possible mode can explain the glitches. Approximate mode only sort of works in unexpanded 68000 and 68020 modes.

Unfortunately there is no DMA capable sound cards except few PCI sound cards. (That can only work with G-REX because it is the only PCI bridgeboard that supports PCI DMA, other boards can also support it in emulation but obviously there is no DMA capable drivers..)
Old 27 January 2018, 22:19   #411
Amiga68k

Quote:
Toccata needs to use CPU to transfer data to tiny 1K buffer (It is not DMA), not using fastest possible mode can explain the glitches. Approximate mode only sort of works in unexpanded 68000 and 68020 modes.

Unfortunately there is no DMA capable sound cards except few PCI sound cards. (That can only work with G-REX because it is the only PCI bridgeboard that supports PCI DMA, other boards can also support it in emulation but obviously there is no DMA capable drivers..)
Thanks for the additional information regarding the Toccata and its restrictions, I'm afraid something else is going on though... but what?

After you mentioned the above I did some extensive testing without the sound card added to the system, but must come to the conclusion that also Paula 8 and 14 bit modes are affected: same distortion in sound.

When reverting to D3D9 all is OK, Toccata working fine and no weird change of pitch when going Fullscreen