English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Amiga Forever

Old 23 September 2013, 00:23   #1
shovel

Amiga Forever Premium Edition 2013

Hi there. First time user so unsure if this is the right place to post my question.

Okay. I first purchased Amiga Forever Premium Edition 2009 and installed it on my then Windows XP machine.

I have now migrated to a much more powerful machine and running Windows 7 Home Edition 64bit. A week ago I ordered the upgrade Premium Edition 2013.

My question is this, because my conscience tells me what I think should be done. I've tried to install the upgrade on my Win 7 machine but it won't. So the question is this. IF I had installed the 2009 version on the Win 7 then installed the upgrade 2013, would it then install as it should. I know this could be the right thing because the upgrade would be overwriting the 2009 version. Currently, and I know something isn't quite right, is that on attempting install with the 2013 upgrade, all I have to show are files in Documents. I couldn't even choose the path to install to, and it was then I felt something wasn't quite as it should be.

Any thoughts on my prognosis?

Roger
Old 23 September 2013, 00:43   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovel View Post
My question is this, because my conscience tells me what I think should be done. I've tried to install the upgrade on my Win 7 machine but it won't. So the question is this. IF I had installed the 2009 version on the Win 7 then installed the upgrade 2013, would it then install as it should.
Hi Roger, and welcome to EAB!

Yes, if you install AF2009 on your Win7 machine first, then the AF2013 upgrade version will install properly over the top of it.

The upgrade version should install properly over any previous full version (1.0 to 2012).

Ref: http://www.amigaforever.com/upgrades/
Old 23 September 2013, 12:59   #3
shovel

So is it that reason, because the 2009 version was not there, for 2013 to install properly. If so could you confirm that I would have to install BOTH version on the Win 7 machine.
Old 23 September 2013, 13:28   #4
thomas

This is something only you can answer because you were the only one who saw the error message and you didn't tell us what it was.

But yes, probably the upgrade needs something it can upgrade.
Old 23 September 2013, 14:39   #5
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Yes I guess so. LOL

And welcome
Old 23 September 2013, 15:44   #6
zipper

Last time I upgraded - 2010 to 2012 - it messed the paths to the programs/games I had installed earlier, had to seek them and add to the config.
Old 23 September 2013, 16:05   #7
shovel

Quote:
This is something only you can answer because you were the only one who saw the error message and you didn't tell us what it was.

There was no error message(Only what was running through my brain as what the problems were). All I had when I tried to install 2013 was "These are the files you have" and they were listed in Documents. I needed them to be in my E: drive to keep the games away from C: which is running low on space, and they just couldn't be seen in Programs x86, nowhere so I guessed it was to do with the original 2009 not being installed to allow an upgrade. I did think afterwards, what if I had just brought it as it was without the upgrade. I know. It would have installed as it should have.

Anyway, thanks for the input and I will install both versions later on.
Old 23 September 2013, 17:00   #8
thomas

AF always installs into C:\Users\Public\Documents\Amiga Files. I don't think it will work if you move these files away.

There should be some programs in C:\Program Files(x86)\Cloanto\Amiga Forever, though.
Old 23 September 2013, 18:05   #9
shovel

Quote:
AF always installs into C:\Users\Public\Documents\Amiga Files. I don't think it will work if you move these files away.
Oh please. Don't give me another problem. I always thought that it was a god given thing for anyone to choose where they want their installations to go. I need to keep my games together on one drive and doing it the way you pointed out on the C:drive just won't work if I run out of space.(I'm right on the border line).

Of course, I won't know if the choice is there for me, until I do the install. But I have found that with ANY installation I've undertaken, I've always been prompted to select a folder. Correct me if I'm wrong. If so, I'll have to abort the whole AF thing.
Old 23 September 2013, 18:33   #10
zipper

Quote:

There should be some programs in C:\Program Files(x86)\Cloanto\Amiga Forever, though.
C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Amiga Files here
I find it extremely stupid for those that do have a dedicated partition for Amiga stuff - like me for about 10 years.
Old 23 September 2013, 18:44   #11
shovel

It looks as though I shall have to install to C: as everyone seems to point to. I have 43.6GB of space left so I hope it's adequate.
Old 23 September 2013, 20:30   #12
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovel View Post
So is it that reason, because the 2009 version was not there, for 2013 to install properly. If so could you confirm that I would have to install BOTH version on the Win 7 machine.
I already did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Yes, if you install AF2009 on your Win7 machine first, then the AF2013 upgrade version will install properly over the top of it.
...and 43.6GB of space left on your C: drive should be plenty.
Old 23 September 2013, 20:32   #13
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

There is a way to relocate 'Amiga Files', but I lost the information how to do it (and I don't use AF anymore). A short email to Cloanto should be enough to get the information
Old 23 September 2013, 22:05   #14
shovel

I'm in the process of mails back and forth TCD.
Old 23 September 2013, 22:07   #15
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Fingers crossed it'll work
Old 23 September 2013, 22:40   #16
shovel

I get terrible cramp in bed when I unknowingly try to cross my toes. It's sheer agony, but my problem isn't quite so extreme. It's frustrating because of my lack of knowledge. It would be so simple just to install but there are things I just can't seem to grasp by the scruff of the neck. Must be an age thing. IT IS!!

Where is Cloanto? Italy? Just wondered because I'm in cross talk with a guy called Mike.??

Last edited by prowler; 23 September 2013 at 23:36. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged.
Old 23 September 2013, 23:26   #17
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Michael C. Battilana = Mike So you're talking to the right guy and he'll be able to help you.
Old 23 September 2013, 23:55   #18
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Michael C. Battilana = Mike So you're talking to the right guy and he'll be able to help you.
Really wonderful guy, always ready to help . I hope someday AmiKit Real will be added to AF.
Old 24 September 2013, 01:58   #19
shovel

I must admit I do get pushy when things don't click. It could be that Mike was a bit peeved with me by his last reply. "Just try the installer". With reference to what I asked about his previous comment. Instruction in a nutshell. So when the new day dawns(We're on the way as it's almost 1AM) I will attempt to install both versions of AF and see what happens. I can always uninstall and try again. I've uninstalled 4 times now as I couldn't see any reference to AF being installed on any of the HDDs.
Old 12 October 2013, 16:56   #20
shovel

Well, after a while I did eventually install 2009 and Premier Edition 2013 upgrade. So why do I see the install as Plus Edition?

Last edited by shovel; 12 October 2013 at 17:55.