English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 22 January 2012, 17:29   #1
fuzzylogic

Do you remember "local" groups in your city?

In the mid eigthies we had a lot of local groups here in the city where I live. These groups did some toolsdisks and/or did small intros or other stuff.

A name which comes to my mind is for example "The Guardians". Of course unknown to people "outside". They were famous for tooldisks for example.

Also I remember alot of small parties (usually announced in schools ) where Amiga dudes met and talked about latest games or tools, did some intros, copied stuff etc. I attended sometimes.

I wonder if you also remember some of these local groups?
Maybe you were part of such a locally know group also - Then I would love to hear some stories about this :-)

I had alot of these local group-stuff on disks which is all lost now - Please preserve such stuff if found
Old 23 January 2012, 00:12   #2
jimmy2x2x
Beyond Mutton

In and around Bolton, Lancashire circa 1987 we had a very active Amiga scene, various computer 'clubs' (essentially miggy copy parties) on a weekly basis, Venues I can remember are the Beehive in Swinton, Angling club in Great lever, Old firestation in Farnworth and the Royal in farnworth (see attached pics!).

You would pay £1 for entry and setup your miggy, if you didnt have a miggy you would have to trade something with someone to buy a slot on their amiga. Ie give them a new game or demo which would buy you a slot on their miggys xcopy and you could have whatever you wanted usually worked on a 1-1 disk basis.

2 x pics from the Royal in Farnworth

http://imgur.com/a/H6MAM
Old 23 January 2012, 00:44   #3
s2325
Zone Friend

In Szczecin was single pirate from shop "Bit" who spreaded his intro-advert on floppy disks with games. This guy had 45-50 years. "Bit" was closed since ~1995 and only few weeks ago I saw someone in empty shop.
Old 24 January 2012, 07:01   #4
fuzzylogic

Cool!

yes we also had a few clubs - one club is still active today attending exhibitions etc. This club has been founded 1985.

Also the ppl who added small intros infront of games were popular here, too. For example there was a simple tool (can't remember its name) which let you put in a text for a scroller. Lol, basically this intro was everywhere with text like "greetings to my mates in school class xyz blabblah" :-)

Very sad that I don't have this anymore :-(
Old 24 January 2012, 08:37   #5
s2325
Zone Friend

I saw "Bit" yesterday, it's still empty, no new shop inside.