English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 29 May 2009, 23:00   #21
ma693541
Computer Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
AmiKit is made for WinUAE, not real Amiga's.

AmigaSYS has many different builds, one for WINUAE, others for real Amiga's.
Yes and no. AmiKit was made for PC with WinUAE as a high-end Amiga, but if you read carefully in their Knowledge Base you will find a .pdf document on how to install the AmiKit package on a real Amiga computer.

AmigaSYS work's on Linux, Windows, real Amiga and some other systems.
Old 29 May 2009, 23:15   #22
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

ClassicWB is the one for me. It's been great on WinUAE and on my real Amiga for many, many years now.

Not tried AmiKit, seems like a bit of an arse to install from what I've seen but that's just from info on the net.

As for AmigaSys, it seems to me as though the maintainers time is spread too thinly, supporting too many systems (especially when at the heart it's the same Amiga system). Maybe reducing the number of supported systems will help the maintainer free up some time.
Old 29 May 2009, 23:42   #23
ma693541
Computer Wizard

Hi killergorilla and other's. Don't believe all the negative bullshit there have been written from people that just have tried to installed AmiKit and not used it from day to day as i have. I like AmiKit better than AmigaSYS, because of it's easy installer and own Windows startmenu, more built-in packages than AmigaSYS and easy updater. It's a heavy package, yes i agree in that, but if you have a high-tech PC (Tower) then give it a try, read all the info about it and it's usage from it's own homepage. If you have a low-tech PC (Laptop), then go for AmigaSYS, because of it's smaller size, less CPU consumption packages and it even have a surprise in it's sleeve, EaglePlayer 2.04 from the AmigaSYS Team. AmiKit have only the latest known 2.03 version before the source code for 2.04 was released.
Old 30 May 2009, 12:57   #24
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Don't worry I'm not going to install either AmigaSys or AmiKit, I don't want an Amiga to do any high-end stuff, that's what I have my PC for.

I want my Amiga to play games, and ClassicWB helps me do that brilliantly
Old 30 May 2009, 19:51   #25
UncleSpam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain View Post
For me classicwb is good for not much expanded machines, while amigasys is for faster ones. and amikit is really utter emucrap
Amikit is actually a very nice package but it's very much dependent on high end architecture, something that is definitely not "standard" on classic Amiga hardware.

I'm assuming the term "emucrap" is because it is made to run on WinUAE and not really on classic Amiga environments. It sounds to me more like "sour grapes"...

- Bogdan
Old 30 May 2009, 20:15   #26
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla View Post
Don't worry I'm not going to install either AmigaSys or AmiKit, I don't want an Amiga to do any high-end stuff, that's what I have my PC for.

I want my Amiga to play games, and ClassicWB helps me do that brilliantly
I couldn't have said that better myself.
Old 26 August 2012, 00:55   #27
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I have almost finished an Amikit conversion running with just my A1200 and the powerful ACA1231/42 (I think this will be a demonstration of what can it make), using 16 colors (well, perhaps I will run it with the also powerful ACA1230/56).

I want to open a thread to show it, but I need a couple of things before:

-The Navigation images Rebel made for Ibrowse. Edit: Got them.
-The background image for the taskbar of Workbench2000 that Cammy uses. Edit: Made one.
-Vesalia to return my Indi and my A1200 board (... jeje... it's on the way) to have larger screens modes and look better.

It runs fast, and has an incredible chip mem (Edit: let me see... 1838184 chip ram... compare it with yours LOL), but it takes some time to boot, although it's just because of Workbench2000, it takes around 30 seconds more to be ready than ScreenTab, but it has more options and better graphics. I will configure it, but I think I will use ScreenTab.

The greatest improvement to have it working "fast" and look real (ehh... well, it's Amikit the one that has to emulate the miggy, not on the contrary) is the new icon.library by PeterK

Edit: About this thread I want to repeat some quotes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
AmiKit is made for WinUAE, not real Amiga's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Amikit/AmigaSys = fast emulated Amiga = Not usefull (too fast, causes glitches) for old Amiga games,
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleSpam View Post
Amikit is actually a very nice package but it's very much dependent on high end architecture, something that is definitely not "standard" on classic Amiga hardware.
Reedit: When you think I'm doing an Amikit conversion you are thinking that I'm going to make a conversion from a PC program.
Amikit was made to run in a Pc, but with programs made for the miggy. Yes, they use a lot that need a graphic card, but if you see it as I do, it's a source for good and new programs, icons, options... (even online updates) that you really can use in your miggy. That's what I'm trying/doing, to have it with the latest options... (Opus Magellan, Ibrowse, Dopus...) and using a "normal" card that you can buy now from IC. I don't want to go further (and use a graphic card), so I'll stay with Amikit 1.5.9 and with other updates that I like.

Really it should be Amikit the one to help me. They even could make updates for Real miggys, so you could select which to install. I asked in his forum around two years ago to lend me a copy of the boot screen, as I can't use ShowAmiga96, but... why do you need to watch the progress of a bar while you can be listening musing while booting for some seconds like in mine?...

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by Retrofan; 01 September 2012 at 03:12.
Old 27 August 2012, 06:24   #28
fishyfish
Banned

Personally I think there's plenty of room for impovement in all the packages.
My biggest qualm with them is that youre at the mercy of the maintainers in regards to what is installed. One of the greatest things about os3.x is the sheer volume and choice of software/tools/enhancements/etc.

Give me something with a proper installer, perhaps a choice of backdrops and icons, let me decide what packages to install, let me install best libs for my hardware (at least amigasys does this). What, if any, eye candy I want? Do I want MUI, magic menu, amistart, wb2000, etc., etc. How about development software?

There's so much room for improvement with all 3 to a point that none are right for me, but for my tastes, in order of preference:
Amikit,
Amigasys,
ClassicWB
Old 27 August 2012, 12:36   #29
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyfish View Post
Give me something with a proper installer, perhaps a choice of backdrops and icons, let me decide what packages to install, let me install best libs for my hardware (at least amigasys does this). What, if any, eye candy I want? Do I want MUI, magic menu, amistart, wb2000, etc., etc. How about development software?
All of the packages included in the above setups are available from Aminet, etc so you can freely setup your own workbench to your own spec choosing your own options.

What you're asking is for someone to hand feed you, all the mentioned packs are great for a quick easy install or a base to work on but if you want a fully custom setup I'm afraid you'll have to learn how to build it from scratch!

As for me, I only really use Classic Workbench these days as there are versions for all the types of Amiga's I own, I spend more time persoanlly working with the hardware so it's nice just to drop a fully setup workbench on there!

Whether you have an A500 or an A4000T from stock to expanded there is a Classic Workbench pack that will fit the bill!

Last edited by fitzsteve; 27 August 2012 at 14:36. Reason: typo
Old 27 August 2012, 14:33   #30
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
...As for me, I only really use Classic Workbench these days as there are versions for all the types of Amiga's I own, I spend more time persoanlly working with the hardware so it's nice just to drop a fully setup workbench on there!

Wheather you have an A500 or an A4000T from stock to expanded there is a Classic Workbench pack that will fit the bill!
Yes, but I don't know any CWB running Opus Magellan, and the Amikit version is the best. If it can run, and fast and with a lot of chip ram, it deserves a try I think.

Last edited by Retrofan; 01 September 2012 at 03:12.
Old 27 August 2012, 15:12   #31
Bloodwych

The thing is there is no best distro. The best is always subjective. The best is what you put together yourself.

I think anyone who works on these packs (me included) does so as a hobby. We do it as we enjoy it, and as far as I’m concerned the more the merrier! There is no competition between packs, just choice.

I like that each is different and has taken a different approach to how Workbench looks, works and feels. My packs lack specific libs for custom hardware yes, but I feel end users can always add them themselves. As Fitzsteve says, they are never going to be a one stop solution for many and all will require some custom work by the end user. However if you can’t be bothered with that, they still work absolutely fine with the generic libs. I also give the end user a very easy way to enable, disable and change features using the settings menu.

I admit the ClassicWB always has room for improvement; it’s never going to be perfect, but I’m happy with them being good enough to get people going and when you use it, you know you’re using Workbench and there is a familiarity and openess to being able to make changes easily yourself across all versions.

Next PeterK’s icon lib will be added as an install and enable/disable option and if gibs gives permission, I’ll chuck in the brilliant Tiny Launcher.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 27 August 2012 at 15:23.
Old 27 August 2012, 17:39   #32
fishyfish
Banned

@fitzsteve

Ive probably got this quoting thing wrong, but you should get the jist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
What you're asking is for someone to hand feed you, all the mentioned packs are great for a quick easy install or a base to work on but if you want a fully custom setup I'm afraid you'll have to learn how to build it from scratch!
Nah, it's not about being handfed, its about flexibility. There's always going to be something a person wants to change and or add to a distro pack, so its handy to make that as painless as possible. After installing the OS a million times, on a hoard of different setups a flexible distro type pack becomes quite useful, even to stop a person from manually having to install all thier own personal "usual suspects" to thier system.
Amithlon I find I tend to set up from scracth a lot and it gets tedious installing mui, magic menu, afa_os (great software, but tedious to set up) and afa_zune, updating libs, updating datatypes, changing icon set and so on and so forth even before I can think about installing any actual software Id use on the system.
On the same machine I also use something called euae-load, which essentially lets a person run custom chipset software on an rtg only system by using euae transparently. The initial setup of that can be a bit of work too (depending on how far a person "extends" its), requiring its own, different type of OS setup (runs a minimal os3.x behind the scenes).

On top of this I have my a1200 (40mhz '040), which again is a different type of install. Eye candy for example is provided by visul prefs + birdie and different icons.

Long story short, I think an all in one, flexible, customisable "distro" could potentially be quite useful regardless of the type of user. A winuae user might just click, "Full Install" for example, whereas someone on real hardware, or more experienced users might opt for a custom install where they can choose the stuff theyd install anyway (despite presonal tastes there is a "core" set of software most people use).

Last edited by prowler; 27 August 2012 at 21:17. Reason: Fixed quote.
Old 27 August 2012, 22:37   #33
k4lmp

I installed AmiKit on a PC running Windows XP without any problems. It works great for what little bit I've used it. But, for real Amigas, ClassicWB all the way IMHO.
Old 27 August 2012, 22:40   #34
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

There's a thing that Bloodwych knows, as he says he likes to make those packs. ... I like also trying to make Amikit running and I'm learning a lot of what goes right, what goes best and what each thing does. He installed Scalos in a pack, and it's one of the best for me. Here I'm using Magellan.

I wish I could share this Amikit version. Bloodwych if you like I'll send you a copy when it will be finished (I still have to try it with the Indi) so you can make a CWB version if you like, changing what you like, although I have no idea if it's possible (talking about the rights). Perhaps just deleting the keys it's possible, dunno.
Old 29 September 2012, 22:52   #35
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroplay View Post
ClassicWB gets my vote.
I use it on WinUAE and real A1200.

Plus Winuae hard drive key games
Old 08 November 2012, 01:01   #36
Emu Amiga
Super dooper Amiga fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonvaltaz View Post
I've seen all these distros - AmiKit, ClassicWB, AmigaSys - but I don't really know how to choose between them, and don't really have time to do in-depth testing of each.

Would be interested to hear people's thoughts on their relative strengths / weaknesses (I'm sure lots of different people have different opinions!)

I'm using WinUAE which I got as part of Cloanto's Amiga Forever 2008 - do any of these distros have a big advantage over the 'built-in' AF setup?
For general emulation, I've found ClassicWb paired with Amiga Forever (any version) works flawlessly.

Last edited by Emu Amiga; 08 November 2012 at 01:01. Reason: typo
Old 26 November 2012, 01:05   #37
Kitty

Classic Workbench is all you need, tried the other's didn't like them.
Old 28 November 2012, 14:00   #38
Emu Amiga
Super dooper Amiga fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
AmigaSYS rules!
ClassicWB IIRC is based on OS3.1 or something which makes it not much good.
And it is common knowledge that AmiKit is utter crap, eg. doesn't even install reliably.
ClassicWB is awesome software. Period. Think about it, I can turn an ordinary PC into an emulated Amiga. Awesome. I didn't know that actual Amiga owners used it on their Amiga's.
Old 28 November 2012, 15:29   #39
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

It's all based on personal preference tbh. I don't like AmigaSYS tbh, despite being a nice package.
Also ClassicWB 3.9 works awesomely well and is a nice bundle having all nice aspects of ClassicWB 3.1 installation with the addition of OS3.9 BB2.
Only thing missing is Scalos (and to that I'm very grateful).
Old 28 November 2012, 18:59   #40
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I've got Scalos, Magellan or Workbench all in a pack: Amikit for real miggy. Just a click with MorpheuZ, 2 secs, a reboot ... and another OS running