English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 12 October 2007, 12:41   #61
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

I've been testing TFX for the past week now and I'm getting pretty good. Laser targetting is good fun and landing is a bit of a challenge. Air to Air dogfights are a lot of fun. The most rewarding thing though was the air to air refuelling. Now thats a challenge! Just getting to the same speed and height is hard enough, then you have to get into position. Luckily the cable automatically jumps to your refuelling probe which is kinda handy. Check out the screenshot.

I've made quite a few changes to the Key listing above and in the HDF file. I've managed to find a few that aren't listed in CU Amiga magazine. The docs have been updated on the HDF and will be posted in the zone in a couple days time.

I found this website which goes into a lot of detail on the Eurofighter Typhoon used in TFX. Well worth reading if you like this game! Has some interesting details on the systems like the ECM (Electronic Counter Measures) and so on.

http://www.eurofighter-typhoon.co.uk/

Its interesting that the cockpit in a real Eurofighter Typhoon uses the same CPU as the patched Amiga version of TFX! LOL! Its totally true, look at this:

Quote:
All cockpit relevant information is processed by a single Teldix GmbH designed unit, the Cockpit Information Unit, CIU. This system, based on a modular design utilising 68020 processors and 68882 co-processors is fed via the STANAG-3910 avionics and -3838 utilities databuses and is designed to cope with the large amounts of data that will flow through the unit.
TFX is more authentic than we realised!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Refueller.png
Views:	285
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	14975  
Old 12 October 2007, 16:08   #62
frikilokooo

Then an Amiga with acelerator +020 is better than that airplane?
Old 12 October 2007, 16:22   #63
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Remember that the patched executables don't like fast RAM.

Have fun!
Hi Steve, any advice on running the game on Amiga hardware? Obviously a fast ram friendly version is going to be a big plus, but have there been any recent changes to the exe files that would improve things on Amiga hardware.

I seem to remember that way back the air-to-air cannon didn't work on the FPU version - is that fixed?

Cheers, and good work.
Old 18 October 2007, 21:18   #64
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Floppy disk

The wait is now over. Its finally here... The final FINAL version of my TFX hardfile. This is version 6 of my HDF and there have been loads of changes:

- Updated Documentation - This should explain everything.
- Complete Key List - Spent the past 2 weeks updating them all.
- Added files to C directory including 'More' which is needed for the docs.
- Fixed the Config so it can now be run from Workbench.
- Deleted more files that weren't being used by the game (smaller HDF).
- Plus lots more.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Steve; 18 October 2007 at 21:34.
Old 18 October 2007, 21:27   #65
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus View Post
Hi Steve, any advice on running the game on Amiga hardware? Obviously a fast ram friendly version is going to be a big plus, but have there been any recent changes to the exe files that would improve things on Amiga hardware.
Hi Angus

The files on the HDF are ready to be run on a real Amiga. All you need to do is archive all the files using a program such as LHA or LZX, transfer the file to your Amiga, uncompress the files to a directory on your hard drive and then update the assigns in the script files. This is all explained in detail on the HDF.

There are different executable files on the HDF including the original executables which work ok with Fast-RAM. There are script files already setup on the HDF which load these versions on your real Amiga and on WinUAE. Again these are all described in detail on the HDF.

Quote:
I seem to remember that way back the air-to-air cannon didn't work on the FPU version - is that fixed?
In what way did the cannons not work in the FPU version? They seem to work fine for me. Press the backspace key to cycle through the air-to-ground weapons which also includes the cannon. Then just press space to shoot at things. Its very difficult to hit targets in the air - I've still not managed it yet. This could be a bug though I'm not sure.

Have fun!

Last edited by Steve; 18 October 2007 at 21:37.
Old 19 October 2007, 16:06   #66
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
I have stated that the French Rafale military plane was using 2x68020@25 mhz
+ 512kb roms embedded in Bakelite

So yes it's not really a surprise...

It's in a post on EAB
Old 19 October 2007, 16:27   #67
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Happy Birthday!

I'd just like to say a big Happy Birthday! to TFX. Its 10 years this month that TFX was published on a CU Amiga cover CD.

My HDF file is a sort of celebration/birthday present to everyone. Its about as complete as it can get so I'm quite happy with it. Hopefully some of you are making use of it.

Incidentally I was one of the first people to play TFX on the Amiga. I was there at its first showing at World of Amiga 97 in London. It was on a large screen on the CU Amiga stand and it was one of the main things I was looking forward to. Needless to say I wasn't disappointed and kept going back for more.

I also met/saw a few famous Amigans like Nick Veitch and Ben Vost of Amiga Format, the developers of Genetic Species (it was getting its first showing) and also ex-Commodore MD David Pleasance was selling music CD's and displaying the golden 1,000,000th Amiga 500. It looked pretty sweet.
Old 20 October 2007, 13:17   #68
Captain_ Kal

If you have also a PC, you can play the sequel of TFX, "EF2000" IMHO the best flight simulator ever. (And you can also try the sequel of EPIC, "Inferno" , a very good space sim. )
Old 20 October 2007, 14:14   #69
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_ Kal View Post
If you have also a PC, you can play the sequel of TFX, "EF2000" IMHO the best flight simulator ever. (And you can also try the sequel of EPIC, "Inferno" , a very good space sim. )
I've had Super EF2000 installed on my PC for a few days now since downloading it from Home of the Underdogs. You're right, it is an excellent flight simulator. A definite improvement on TFX with nice graphics and realistic sound.

Its not quite as good as F/A-18 by Jane's. This game is very complex and such a complete simulation. Great fun though and amazing graphics, especially the volumetric clouds, superb textures and incredible lighting. F/A-18 really is the ultimate flight simulator.

Here is the link to SEF2000 download page:

http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.p...e=Super+EF2000
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FA18.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	15026  
Old 21 October 2007, 12:13   #70
Captain_ Kal

Quote:
Its not quite as good as F/A-18 by Jane's. This game is very complex and such a complete simulation. Great fun though and amazing graphics, especially the volumetric clouds, superb textures and incredible lighting. F/A-18 really is the ultimate flight simulator.
A matter of taste then I gues. I always liked EF2000, because it was much easyer to get into. It also simulates the Eurofighter very well. I saw a working cockpit mockup, of Eurofighter some years back, and I was able to reproduce most functions.

And here is the link to Inferno:

http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?id=1876

(there is also a torrent of the full CD version at Undergroung gamer if anyone is interested. )
Old 21 October 2007, 13:35   #71
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_ Kal View Post
A matter of taste then I gues. I always liked EF2000, because it was much easyer to get into. It also simulates the Eurofighter very well. I saw a working cockpit mockup, of Eurofighter some years back, and I was able to reproduce most functions.
Don't get me wrong, I love EF2000.

I'm playing it everyday at the moment! I especially like the fact that you can taxi onto the runway before taking off instead of just starting on the runway like in TFX. Little things like that just add to the immersion. It does seem to be quite an accurate simulation, the cockpit is certainly very close to the real thiing (pictured). I do wish you could use your mouse to look around the cockpit and out the windows like you can on F/A-18. Still good fun though.

Old 22 October 2007, 12:22   #72
DrF
Blessed A1200 Of TeH Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Its interesting that the cockpit in a real Eurofighter Typhoon uses the same CPU as the patched Amiga version of TFX! LOL! Its totally true, look at this:
TFX is more authentic than we realised!
I think what we are all wondering is, is the plane OS4 compatible then???

Good work on the updating of TFX I had it back in the day and it ran like crap, hopefully things are better now when I try again
Old 22 October 2007, 14:30   #73
frikilokooo

In my A1200+4mb fastram TFX works very very slow(1 frame/second approx.) even with minimum detail just like Tornado game.

Luckyly there are great sims very fast in my configuration:Air Warrior 2.9,Overlord,Reach for the Skies...
Old 22 October 2007, 20:02   #74
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Quote:
Originally Posted by frikilokooo View Post
In my A1200+4mb fastram TFX works very very slow(1 frame/second approx.) even with minimum detail just like Tornado game.

Luckyly there are great sims very fast in my configuration:Air Warrior 2.9,Overlord,Reach for the Skies...
Do you have a 68030 accelerator and an FPU? It should be running much faster than that. Try pressing the ' key and disabling some of the visual options like gouraud shading and texture mapping. That will speed the game up quite a lot.
Old 22 October 2007, 20:17   #75
frikilokooo

At least TFX is brilliant to play in WinUAE.

can play TFX with mouse?
Old 27 October 2007, 12:43   #76
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

If you are playing it in WinUAE you might as well play the PC version

Cheers Steve for upping a FINAL version, I'll take a look at it and probably host it on my space when I get around to it
Old 27 October 2007, 14:01   #77
frikilokooo

I had it installed in dosbox+dfend and I remember that it was not as smooth as in WinUAE even raising the cpu cycles.
Old 28 October 2007, 11:14   #78
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla View Post
If you are playing it in WinUAE you might as well play the PC version.
Unless you've got a super-fast PC you're best off sticking to the Amiga version through WinUAE. I tried out TFX through DOSbox and it absolutely crawls on my machine.
Old 28 October 2007, 15:20   #79
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Wow, that is interesting to know!

WinUAE for the win then!
Old 21 January 2008, 00:50   #80
musojon74

Hi!

Could anyone re-upload TFX at all for me? I'm sure I downloaded it once, but can't find it.

Thanks!