English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 28 March 2018, 14:31   #61
Mick

I'd imagine there's still lots of people who don't have A500+ RED though and it's no longer publically available for whatever reason. It's a real shame with new caps and cases on the horizon.
Old 28 March 2018, 14:37   #62
alenppc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
I'd imagine there's still lots of people who don't have A500+ RED though and it's no longer publically available for whatever reason. It's a real shame with new caps and cases on the horizon.
That's what happens when the design is closed.
Old 28 March 2018, 14:41   #63
oggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenppc View Post
That's what happens when the design is closed.
It's a tough situation. They spent a lot of time on it and some people want to be compensated for that effort. It's a reasonable desire. It's easy for the rest of us to want it for free since we have nothing invested.
Old 28 March 2018, 14:56   #64
Amiga1992

Holy shit, amazing work!!!
Old 28 March 2018, 14:57   #65
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by oggie View Post
It's a tough situation. They spent a lot of time on it and some people want to be compensated for that effort. It's a reasonable desire. It's easy for the rest of us to want it for free since we have nothing invested.
Agree - they did the hard work so they get to decide whether they want to open source it or sell it for big bucks. I find it odd how many people expect others to just give away the fruits of their hard work for free.
Old 28 March 2018, 15:16   #66
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
Agree - they did the hard work so they get to decide whether they want to open source it or sell it for big bucks. I find it odd how many people expect others to just give away the fruits of their hard work for free.

But they're not selling any more boards either. I don't expect them to hand it out for free though, but still.
Old 28 March 2018, 15:35   #67
oggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon_ View Post
But they're not selling any more boards either. I don't expect them to hand it out for free though, but still.
Yes, that's the annoying part. They should either keep selling boards, release the design, or even allow someone else to sell for them if they don't have the time or desire.
Old 28 March 2018, 15:38   #68
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
So because they made this board, they are now required to go to the hassle of manufacturing, selling and distributing them to anyone interested? And for how long? Eternity? Doesn't seem reasonable to me. Individual Computers also doesn't manufacture and sell the ACA630 any longer, and we cannot demand them to keep making them or release the gerber files for others to use.

If they wanted to they could have just made a few of those boards for themselves, but I am grateful that they actually did a larger run and allowed other people to get some as well. I am also grateful for when people do make their designs available, but I would never demand it unless it was some crowdfunded project where they promised to open source the finished product.
Old 28 March 2018, 15:57   #69
alenppc

They are OBVIOUSLY not required to make the designs public and I am definitely not tryng to take away anything from their effort. I was just simply stating that eventually closed designs go to die.
Old 28 March 2018, 16:08   #70
oggie

Quote:
They are OBVIOUSLY not required to make the designs public and I am definitely not tryng to take away anything from their effort. I was just simply stating that eventually closed designs go to die.
Completely agree.
Old 28 March 2018, 16:12   #71
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
I was just simply stating that eventually closed designs go to die.
True and that is unfortunate, but that is just how it is. If I had done all that work of redrawing the board, then I would love to see it become appreciated by others and not leave it in a drawer to rot. But that would just be my own motivation for doing work like that which I would not force onto others.

I love it when people find 'forgotten' original layouts and tools for making old products like the C64 case moulds, IC layouts and other stuff that makes it possible to remanufacture those products with ~100% original quality. If the originals are never found, then the next best thing is when someone recreates them by reverse engineering (with respect to copyright holders).
Old 28 March 2018, 16:52   #72
obitus1990

Excellent work, Hese, as usual. Hopefully, this will be available for sale, as others have said, to help repair all of those battery/cap killed A4000 boards out there.
Old 28 March 2018, 16:56   #73
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
So because they made this board, they are now required to go to the hassle of manufacturing, selling and distributing them to anyone interested? And for how long? Eternity? Doesn't seem reasonable to me. Individual Computers also doesn't manufacture and sell the ACA630 any longer, and we cannot demand them to keep making them or release the gerber files for others to use.

If they wanted to they could have just made a few of those boards for themselves, but I am grateful that they actually did a larger run and allowed other people to get some as well. I am also grateful for when people do make their designs available, but I would never demand it unless it was some crowdfunded project where they promised to open source the finished product.

You're putting words in my mouth. I just think it's sad it's not shared. Especially since it's not their "original design" to begin with. Individual computers are still alive CBM is not. If there was a crowdfund campaign to release the gerbers of the pcb replicas, I would göadly pitch in.
Old 28 March 2018, 18:35   #74
Mick

Quote:
Exactly, you can't even buy a A500+ RED PCB from the designer.

Like I said in the other thread people are willing to pay well over the odds to make it worthwhile PCB's being sold, so I can't understand why the designers of GBA1000/A500+ RED etc would rather keep them out of the hands of Amiga fans than make lots of money and make people happy.

edit: If they didn't want to deal with taking sales and all of that it wouldn't be too difficult to sell them in bulk to distributors like Amigakit.

Last edited by Mick; 28 March 2018 at 19:06.
Old 28 March 2018, 19:23   #75
Chucky

I released my 3640 files and will release all files.. but I will NOT demand anyone to do so. even if I think it is sad if stuff is not open. but there might be very good reasons of not opening.. so never demand. but never hurts to ask nicly.
Old 28 March 2018, 19:54   #76
Daedalus

Indeed, everyone has their reasons for conducting their hobby the way they do. Perhaps they open sourced something in the past, only to not enjoy the feeling when someone else took the design or code and made a profit from it. Some people are fine with that too, but it might put others off open sourcing their next project. It's a shame, but I also don't expect anyone to open source their projects, and when something is open sourced, I consider it a privilege to have access to it, not a right.
Old 28 March 2018, 19:59   #77
kolla
Banned

Isn't there an "order here" button on amigapcb.org ?
Old 28 March 2018, 21:09   #78
Mick

I guess my main argument is if you're not going to make something open source then at least have the decency to sell it yourself, telling people to jog on when they ask nicely if they can buy it and (in the case of GBA1000 PCB being sold on Ebay) criticising sellers for "profiting from the work of others" for providing the service to others that you have refused to do yourself doesn't seem to be very community spirited.

Assuming hese is the guy from Amibay who does all of the builds/repairs for people it's obvious he's a top guy and he's of course free to do as he pleases with this creation. It's just a shame that we have situations where people are having to ask hese to spend months designing an A500+ motherboard when the work has all already been done and has just not been made public (not widely available anyway).

Last edited by Mick; 28 March 2018 at 21:15.
Old 29 March 2018, 21:29   #79
cmsj

For those asking for an open version, see https://www.gofundme.com/amiga-4000-...ith-schematics (apologies if that's already posted on this thread - I didn't see it).
Old 30 March 2018, 01:12   #80
shaf

Yes I got a Red A500+ and sold both my GBA1000 Boards.