English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 29 March 2008, 18:40   #1
MethodGit

Question What's the most accurate Amiga mod player?

I've been trying to work it out myself but after experimenting with the likes of DeliPlayer on PC, and EaglePlayer/DeliTracker/HippoPlayer through WinUAE, I fear that none of them may be perfect.

What I wish to do is to play original Amiga music modules as accurately (i.e. close to how the original hardware plays it) as possible when I want to record or output it to WAV format so that I can then MP3 it up to my MP3 player. I don't want to try and rip something if it turns out to be a dud playout (any samples missing or played at the wrong volume etc). I'm also hoping something can play TFMX tracks as perfectly as possible (like for ripping the Monkey Island 1 tracks for instance, outside of just trying to record all the music as I'm playing through the game which I reckon can take quite a bit of time).

Any suggestions?
Old 29 March 2008, 21:59   #2
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

Have you tried Milkyplay? There are various versions, the Pocket PC one is very good, it works really well on my HP iPaq. I haven't tried the full PC version but if it's as good as the PPC version you should be fine.

Merlin
Old 29 March 2008, 22:25   #3
myk

I was curious about this too, and did some searching: turns out if it's accuracy you're after, it's a bit more complicated!

It's all to do with the way Paula plays back samples: see this page for a nice description: http://www.bel.fi/~alankila/blog/200...synthesis.html

E-UAE (http://www.rcdrummond.net/uae/) has been patched with his code, but I don't know whether this is the case for WinUAE...

Old 29 March 2008, 22:54   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I rewrote WinUAE audio code long time ago before that patch.. (and UADE filters have been also merged long time ago)
Old 30 March 2008, 19:25   #5
MethodGit

So WinUAE is supposed to play music more accurately nowadays, I take it?

As for Milkyplay, I can only seem to find PocketPC or Windows Mobile versions on the net...... if there is a full desktop version then it must be very well hidden!

Still, I would imagine all Amiga models played music differently to each other in their own way, right? Sounds similar to the problem of finding the most accurate SID player for C64 music....
Old 31 March 2008, 05:18   #6
OddbOd

Yeah Milkyplay is a bastard to find, most PDA sites link old versions and the (unsupported) Windows/Mac versions seem to be a bloody state secret! Be aware that Milky is merely a good MOD/XM/etc. player, it makes no pretensions to Amiga emulation accuracy.

http://peter.nxbone.net/MilkyPlay_binaries.zip
http://peter.nxbone.net/MilkyPlayLite_W32.zip
http://peter.nxbone.net/MilkyPlayLite_OSX.tgz

UAE and it's derivatives are the first, last and only word in accurate replay.
Old 31 March 2008, 10:34   #7
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

Thanks for that OddbOd, that saved me trawling through 1000's of CDs to find it for him!!

Old 02 April 2008, 19:33   #8
cv643d

You should really record of off a real Amiga. Especially if you are listening to more obscure formats.

I heard a really good FC14 tune in UAE, when I played it on my A4000 it was totally different song!

Also, get a sound enhancer, they make any good mod sound even better (crispier).
Old 02 April 2008, 19:45   #9
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cv643d View Post
You should really record of off a real Amiga. Especially if you are listening to more obscure formats.

I heard a really good FC14 tune in UAE, when I played it on my A4000 it was totally different song!

Also, get a sound enhancer, they make any good mod sound even better (crispier).
Or just don't use too fast CPU setting. Many players are broken and don't like fast CPU.
Old 02 April 2008, 21:11   #10
bLAZER
Awesome to the max

I've tried a bunch of programs recording some obscure formats to wav/mp3, and my opinion is that Eagleplayer with WinUAE handles most formats and does the job best.
Old 02 April 2008, 21:17   #11
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Generally, it is difficult to know if it plays exactly right without listening to original module using original player. There are too many different players with small differences...