English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 22 December 2009, 16:16   #1
Dreamcast270mhz
Die Copyright holders!!!

A2500 battery leakage cleanup

I have gotten an A2500 barebones from the gracious Redrumloa. He let me know it had battery leakage before I bought it. Well, it arrived this past weekend, and I've been trying to clean it off. I've used a toothbrush with IPA, baking soda and just by itself, but no luck. I was told on amibay to put it in dishwasher without drying cycle, but shouldn't I remove the chips first? and do i need soap, or is there a better way? Just to let Zetro know, just getting a second opinion before I flush sixty bucks down the drain
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2104.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	5.2 KB
ID:	23706  
Old 22 December 2009, 17:05   #2
dannyp1

Vinegar and the toothbrush. What is the dishwasher going to clean off that the toothbrush won't? You will never make it look new and like the battery never leaked. You just need to make sure the acid is neutralized so no more damage is done.

Dan
Old 22 December 2009, 17:36   #3
Muzer

Quote:
acid
alkali, if you're using vinegar to clean it anyway - acid if you're using bicarbonate of soda or toothpaste. Not sure what the batteries are in Amigas.
Old 22 December 2009, 17:43   #4
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Rechargeable batteries in an Amiga is always alkaline so you need a weak acid to neutralise. Diluted lemon juice or better diluted white vinegar.

Baking Soda is the wrong thing to use.

Use some litmus paper if you don't believe me.

But cleaning and neutralising battery leakage is not going to repair dead tracks. If it does not work as is, you're gonna have to use a multimeter to measure the resistance of tracks and possibly repair them with jumpers. However this is a mult-layer board and you can of course only repair the top & bottom layers.
Old 22 December 2009, 18:15   #5
Dreamcast270mhz
Die Copyright holders!!!

It was ni-cd, so i'll use lemon juice and IPA afterwards. I'm justyring to clean as much acid residue as possible. There are no dead tracks on the top layer i can tell you, the track that runs through the center is clear of residue... odd. The machine works, but i think it has a bad paula in it or CIAS, it has no sound, either that or caps where teh audio circuits are to blame.
Old 22 December 2009, 18:21   #6
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

White vinegar will be less sticky but if you are going to go over with IPA I doubt it matters.
Old 24 December 2009, 03:04   #7
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Normal capacitors hardly will dye entirely. In this case I recommend you to replace Paula.

Capacitors from A1000/500(+)/3000(T)/2000 (and sub-versions) normally just lose some of their capacitance over the years.
Old 25 December 2009, 23:06   #8
Dreamcast270mhz
Die Copyright holders!!!

Weirdly, since getting my 3000, I've put this aside. Oh well, after X-mas dies down, I'll get it open again, go over with mild acid, and email softhut about a paula for $8. And I'll check to see if any vias were affected (if it has any )
Old 26 December 2009, 10:03   #9
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Hint: Go to a brewing shop or chemist & buy some Iodophor solution (Iodine & Phosphoric Acid).

Squirt it all over the motherboard (use a syringe, it stains skin badly) & let it sit for about 30 mins, then run in the dishwasher (turn off before drying cycle starts).

I tried many bottles of vinegar when my A2000 had this problem & it didn't work as well as expected...Iodophor blew that stuff right off!

Another up-side is that you don't have to physically scrub already comprimised PCB tracks!

PZ.
Old 29 December 2009, 04:23   #10
Dreamcast270mhz
Die Copyright holders!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingerlickin_B View Post
Hint: Go to a brewing shop or chemist & buy some Iodophor solution (Iodine & Phosphoric Acid).

Squirt it all over the motherboard (use a syringe, it stains skin badly) & let it sit for about 30 mins, then run in the dishwasher (turn off before drying cycle starts).

I tried many bottles of vinegar when my A2000 had this problem & it didn't work as well as expected...Iodophor blew that stuff right off!

Another up-side is that you don't have to physically scrub already comprimised PCB tracks!

PZ.
In that case, could i use coca-cola? It has (IIRC) phoshoric acid and carbonic too? Of course, using 50-50 water/ipa to clean it afterwards?
Old 29 December 2009, 05:59   #11
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcast270mhz View Post
In that case, could i use coca-cola? It has (IIRC) phoshoric acid and carbonic too? Of course, using 50-50 water/ipa to clean it afterwards?
I'd not suggest doing that.

Coke does not contain enough of the good stuff to do anything to help you.

Also, there are ingredients like sugar that might prove difficult to remove from certain areas when rinsing.

Iodophor WILL do what you want, so just grab some of it & you'll be set

PZ.