English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 10 December 2017, 21:08   #1
Lorfarius

Amiga 1200 CF Slow Loading

Was playing a game today without issue, saved and exited to CWB then turned the Amiga off. Just switched it back on tonight and it sits for ages on a black screen, HD light flashing then finally loads. Everything moves at a snails pace but a few things I've tried:

Used different A1200 power packs
Changed the CD card adaptor inside the A1200
Used different IDE lead
Removed Memory expansion board.
I'm using a Gotek drive and loaded WB from an ADF without issue, speed of 1200 is fine, seems to only be the CF card that's slow in the machine.

Loaded CF card on PC via WINUAE without any issues, then realised the save game I made earlier was gone.
Added files in different places on CF card without issues on WINUAE.

Not sure if this is related but... about a week ago the joystick port stopped working. I was using an adaptor I bought from eBay last year that lets me plug in a PS2 controller, it had been working just fine but then stopped. I thought the adaptor was just broken (didn't have another standard joystick to test) so ordered another, sadly it hasn't arrived yet so can't actually test it but could it be related to today's issue?

A1200 has never been recapped.

Is there anything else I can do?

Last edited by Lorfarius; 10 December 2017 at 21:37.
Old 10 December 2017, 21:37   #2
daxb

Maybe the OS was validating the CF if you use FFS and something went wrong. What says the info command about the CF? Another try is SnoopDos and Scouts Task list.
Old 10 December 2017, 21:39   #3
Lorfarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
Maybe the OS was validating the CF if you use FFS and something went wrong. What says the info command about the CF? Another try is SnoopDos and Scouts Task list.
Sorry none of that means anything to me. I should also add I'm using ClassicWB.
Old 11 December 2017, 08:29   #4
Jope
-

Just wait for the validation to complete (HD light stops flashing) and then everything should be back to normal.

Next time when you're going to power down the machine, wait for all disk activity to stop for a while (no HD LED blinks for 10sec) before powering the machine down.

You should also consider changing from FFS to PFS3 or SFS.
Old 11 December 2017, 08:50   #5
Lorfarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Just wait for the validation to complete (HD light stops flashing) and then everything should be back to normal.

Next time when you're going to power down the machine, wait for all disk activity to stop for a while (no HD LED blinks for 10sec) before powering the machine down.

You should also consider changing from FFS to PFS3 or SFS.
I'm usually very careful and there wasn't any activity when I powered it off (didn't want to lose the save!). Tried letting it boot in full and leaving it for a good while once it hit the desktop and restarted (through options) but it's the same Takes forever to load and when it does everything is incredibly slow, can't open drawers, programs etc without it taking an absolute age. The card loads quickly in WINUAE pretty much as it did before but as soon as it goes back into the A1200 it slows to a crawl.
Old 11 December 2017, 13:39   #6
daxb

That is is/was a validating issue is just a guess by me. E.g. if you switch off the amiga while a write operation on FFS (FastFileSystem) the FFS tries to repair itself what we call validating. This can took some minutes or hours on large and slow partitions.

The info command (just enter "info" in a shell) print some info about devices like errors and status of the drive.

Snoop ( http://aminet.net/package.php?packag.../moni/SnoopDos ) show what is going on on your system.

Scout is another monitor that gives some info. In the Task list you can see if a process uses all the CPU time what could be the reason for the slowness.

There might be hardware problems or something else.
Old 11 December 2017, 16:10   #7
Lorfarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
That is is/was a validating issue is just a guess by me. E.g. if you switch off the amiga while a write operation on FFS (FastFileSystem) the FFS tries to repair itself what we call validating. This can took some minutes or hours on large and slow partitions.

The info command (just enter "info" in a shell) print some info about devices like errors and status of the drive.

Snoop ( http://aminet.net/package.php?packag.../moni/SnoopDos ) show what is going on on your system.

Scout is another monitor that gives some info. In the Task list you can see if a process uses all the CPU time what could be the reason for the slowness.

There might be hardware problems or something else.
Will give it a go tonight, thank you
Old 11 December 2017, 16:58   #8
meynaf
son of 68k

I see 3 possible reasons why it could move at snail speed :
1. FFS validating the disk. See disk activity led after you've reached WB : extra activity indicates validation.
2. CF using chipmem (on a fastmem equipped machine). Checking drive speed on Sysinfo can help seeing that.
3. Some other program eating cpu time or hitting the disk too much. Use system monitors as said above. You can try booting with no startup-sequence, too.
Old 11 December 2017, 22:08   #9
Lorfarius

Ended up chatting to someone who does repairs and he thought a few chips might have gone. Have bought a recapped mobo off him to replace it, did me a good deal. I need it up and running for the podcast too so didn't want to spend ages sending it off for repair, finding out its no good etc. So hopefully back in business soon! Thanks for your advice everyone.