English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 08 March 2018, 21:45   #41
Sinphaltimus

So far, nothing is not working. But I haven't really used it. SD card is working and SDNet networking is working. I need to find out how to configure the correct repository so I can update over the internet future releases as mentioned in the readme for coffin

===============
Package Manager
===============

coffin introduces a new package management engine called "IPM" (stands for Idiotic Package Manager). When configured with correct repository, it allows you to download and updates games, applications, videos, etc. from the coffin distribution. It also allows you to upgrade easily your distribution to latest release.

From CLI, type "ipm help" to get a full list of availables commands

I also need to re-setup my system as it was under 2.5 as mentioned in my forum post reply.

Once I have my system customized to my liking, I'll be able to start using it and testing things that I haven't done yet.
Old 08 March 2018, 21:51   #42
emufan

ah, ok. I've been reading about the IPM tool in the changelog.
cannot help here, but that's a good idea.

#1) btw: the "Do you have TETRIS on that thing?" story is great
Old 09 March 2018, 00:22   #43
Sinphaltimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by emufan View Post

#1) btw: the "Do you have TETRIS on that thing?" story is great
Old 09 March 2018, 20:48   #44
Sinphaltimus

so I am starting to have issues and find problems:

Outstanding Issues or problems encountered:
1. Unable to create any more partitions on my 320GB HDD. Only 32GB avilable like the Coffin Image and it has 3 partitions DH0, 1 and 2.
2. 194x game screen is corrupted and unusable.
3. SMBMounter various errors, cannot open mountlist, cannot mount anything except via quick method.
4. Cannot use ipm help in cli - get error: EXECUTE: Illegal .DEFAULT directive, key "repo" not found object not found

Instead of constantly updating 2 threads I'm only going to post further issues here:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...hlight=Vampire
Old 09 March 2018, 21:17   #45
TrashyMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinphaltimus View Post
so I am starting to have issues and find
1. Unable to create any more partitions on my 320GB HDD. Only 32GB avilable like the Coffin Image and it has 3 partitions DH0, 1 and 2.
I think this seems to be an issue with distributing as a .img file. I have had this issue on several versions of "ApolloOS" so how I got to utilize all 64GBs of my CF card I had to partition it in WinUAE and then copy the files from the image file while mounted in WinUAE over for each partition.

Quote:
2. 194x game screen is corrupted and unusable.
Odd I'm not having that issue. But I have yet to update to R48.
Old 09 March 2018, 21:28   #46
AMIGASYSTEM

Yes, the best solution is to prepare the hard disk on WinUAE and copy data from a Filemanager (Monut Coffin Image on WinUAE).
Old 10 March 2018, 02:07   #47
Sinphaltimus

Yeah I'm gonna boot up my migga now and backup my DH0 and DH1 to SD then I can feel free to partition the HDD and set it up and all that jazz. I just completed a lot of customizing I don't want to have to do all over again. Thanks guys.
Old 24 March 2018, 03:56   #48
antiriad76

Guys

Do you have any tips for writing the image of the Coffin OS to an SD Card or mSata? I tried writing the image using Win32diskimager on Windows 10 using a USB to IDE Adapter and somehow the card it not recognized in an Amiga 500 Vampire V2+ when the device is plugged in into the on board IDE. Also EBM shows no partitions. It seems the A500 takes 30+ seconds of black screen before it shows the 3.1 Kickstart.

I have tried both an SD2IDE and a mSata to IDE adapter with the same results.

However it seems the partitions are perfectly readable in WinUAE if I add the IDE HDD.

Is there another method to write the Image?

Thanks

Mike

Last edited by antiriad76; 24 March 2018 at 05:03.
Old 24 March 2018, 04:02   #49
Sinphaltimus

You can use SD Imager or HDD raw copy.
Old 24 March 2018, 05:00   #50
antiriad76

Quote:
You can use SD Imager or HDD raw copy.
I just tried the HDD raw copy. Same issue. The drive is not detectable from the Vampire.

What is the recommended setup?

I currently use an mSATA to an IDE adapter and the second setup is a micro sd to Compact flash adapter to a CF2IDE adapter

Is there a recommended 32GB CF Card to use?
Old 24 March 2018, 11:59   #51
Sinphaltimus

You're best bet is to hop on irc And get direct support. Yes there are recommended cf cards listed in the wiki, someplace. I never had this issue do would be of little help. Read the websites, check their support forums, jump on their irc. You'll find your answers.

Last edited by Sinphaltimus; 24 March 2018 at 13:20.
Old 24 March 2018, 12:39   #52
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiriad76 View Post
Is there another method to write the Image?
I no longer have the image of coffin, i only tested the Operating System out of curiosity (i do not like it, i prefer my AFA OS). Try to write the image with USB Image Tool, if even with this tool it does not work check with WinUAE/HDToolBox how it is set the HD Controller.

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 25 March 2018 at 12:02.
Old 24 March 2018, 13:36   #53
Sinphaltimus

Also, you might want to try setting up the CF Card with classicWb or something else that you can get working in winUAE then move it over to the Vampire. All of your output will be coming out of the rbg port until you install the saga drivers and P96 (see wiki for instructions). You should be able to do all of the installs and complete setup in winUAE so that when you move it over they are there ready to be configured for your display device.

Coffin appears to be a prebuilt image with a ton of things in it for compatibility testing I assume. Some of it does not work, and allegedly some of it should not be in there for public distribution. I've looked at the change log and whomever is responsible for creating and maintaining the coffin image has also noted times when software was removed upon request or simply removed. It might be good to check out but unless you're into fiddling and fixing, you may just want to roll your own image from scratch.

I started with coffin but have been stripping things out and removing things I'll never touch just to customize it and save me the time of starting from scratch. It's just a hobby for me and tinkering is what I love best about it. You may not find that is not the case for yourself.

Good luck, enjoy and have fun.
Old 25 March 2018, 23:50   #54
antiriad76

Quote:
Also, you might want to try setting up the CF Card with classicWb or something else that you can get working in winUAE then move it over to the Vampire. .
I think the most frustrating thing I have with the Amiga these days is trying to get any large size HDD to work properly. I still have 2 10GB/20GB IDE Drives that work perfectly but nowadays they are getting very scarce. One of them is getting close to failing.The whole thing with HDToolBox, HDInstTools is really confusing to me since each program seems to pull different Cylinders,Heads etc and then partitioning the drive is really tricky.

It seems the best option right now is to get a good working 32GB/64GB/128GB/256GB/512GB Image of an SD Card that write it on the HDD.

I was just able to write the 32GB Coffin Image to a 640GB SATA Disk using HDD Raw Copy and it worked perfectly with the Vampire. The only issue is that you cannot re-partition the drive to use the extra space.

Are there any tools that allow you to create "Blank" Images? I want to try experimenting creating a blank 512GB Image and try to partition it with SFS/03 in WinUAE and then write back to the SATA HDD.

Last edited by antiriad76; 25 March 2018 at 23:55.
Old 26 March 2018, 03:13   #55
Sinphaltimus

I had that same issue. Here's pretty much how I fixed it.

Here is what you can do...

Format your 640GB HDD using windows.
Create a config in WinUAE with 128MB ram and mount a copy of the 32GB IMG file as a hard drive.

In the hard disk control panel of winuae be sure to put a check in the box for Disable UAEFSDB

Connect your 640GB as the second hard drive.
Boot up the system, it should boot you into coffin.
Once in coffin, change the HDtoolbox tooltype to SCSI_DEVICE_NAME=uaehf.device
Remove any parenthasis if there are any for that line.

Now when you open HDToolbox, your big hdd should be listed.
Select it and select install HDD
Get drive info, OK/save back to the main screen then with the same drive selected, click on partition drive. Use PFS3 file system and custom PDS or something like that - will be obvious.

Coffin requires
DH0: System: Bootable with boot pri 1
DH1: Programs: not bootable
DH2: Restore: Bootable with boot pri 0
Partition the rest of the space as you like if you have room left. DH2: and DH0: should be the same size.

Now copy the contents from the mounted 32GB image install to the proper partitions on your big HDD.

When done, you should be good to go.

Once you boot on a real Amiga, run the utility from C:
uaemremover to ensure any UAE stuff is vleaned out of all partitions.

Done.

This is mostly accurate - close to 100% I would say but I'm telling you this from memory. It's what I did. I have a 320GB HDD installed with coffin r49 and very large partitions.

Good Luck. Any inaccuracies above should become very obvious when you go through the steps. maybe I called something the wrong thing but close. That's about all I would suspect.

Last edited by Sinphaltimus; 26 March 2018 at 03:14. Reason: specified to use a copy of 32GB IMG file for this.
Old 26 March 2018, 17:44   #56
antiriad76

Sinphaltimus

Thanks for the guide. I was pretty much following the same route but using the Vampire OS as a boot device resolved my issue with formating the DH1(Programs) Large partition. Somehow my WinUAE AmigaKit format will only see this partition as 250MB instead of 604GB and it would corrupt the drive.

The issue I am running into right now in WinUAE is that once I start copying files from one device to another the file transfer will be stuck as some random file and WinUAE crashes. In one occasion both the img and the HDD data was corrupted.

What causes this issues. Also was exactly does the UAEFSDB option do?

Thanks again for the help.

Mike
Old 26 March 2018, 17:57   #57
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
following the same route but using the Vampire OS as a boot device resolved my issue with formating the DH1(Programs) Large partition.
Use Amikit as boot device, how filesystem uses SFS or PFS
Old 26 March 2018, 18:06   #58
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
I was just able to write the 32GB Coffin Image to a 640GB SATA Disk using HDD Raw Copy and it worked perfectly with the Vampire. The only issue is that you cannot re-partition the drive to use the extra space.
To recover the space you can divide the hard disk on Windows and create an ad hoc partition see HERE
Old 26 March 2018, 18:50   #59
antiriad76

Here is a minor Update. I was able to resolve the file copy issue by launching a plain vanilla A1200 in WinUAE with JIT Enabled just to have the files copied.

The issue I am now having it that the Coffin OS sees only 150MB on the 600GB Programs Partition and I get a drive full error message when I have files copied over. Is there a way to resolve this issue or there is a limitation on the OS?

The SCSI.device with the Coffin OS is 40.12. I loaded the 44.2 and still the same issue.

Also when I try to use the PFSFormat to format the drive it says "Full Format not possible"

Thanks

Mike
Old 26 March 2018, 19:10   #60
Sinphaltimus

Hrm, You're in uncharted territory for me now. I wouldn't know where to begin trouble shooting those issues. Perhaps, in WinUAE you can run DH0:c/PFSDoctor REPAIR DH1: from a shell and see what it does?

also, I'm not sure what uaefsdb does but it gave my real amiga a lot of instability issues until I removed them with that util I mentioned earlier.