English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 19 May 2008, 10:43   #121
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
ok ralph just name and shame the person who OCR`d you work, sounds like you knew who it was, then have a think as to the real reasons as to why you started this project, was it to help or where there other reasones at play ?

Big up anyone who codes for the amiga you know you help make it possible
Old 19 May 2008, 10:48   #122
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
ok so it was some one named keith
Old 19 May 2008, 13:00   #123
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

nu uh... i was right here forum whoring as per usual.

Old 19 May 2008, 15:49   #124
EmuChicken

Quote:
but when to many user sign, but dont really buy the book, that damage all future petition like this for other projects
I've not signed it as I don't want to buy it... I'm guessing that most EAB users are pretty honest so... you got a good estimate for the minimum people who genuinely wants to purchase the book.

@ Andreas: What I don't understand, is how you can call EAB (and its users) evil, and whore it like no other.. whenever you want to advertise or sell something you post here... whats the deal? Come on
Old 19 May 2008, 16:01   #125
AndreasM

When i post on Abime News-Page i must add here
Old 19 May 2008, 22:56   #126
HenryCase

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasM View Post
but when to many user sign, but dont really buy the book, that damage all future petition like this for other projects.
The people who signed the petition are all serious Amiga fans otherwise they wouldn't ask for the book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfrog View Post
ok so it was some one named keith
I'd like to know who this mysterious Keith is too. From what I can see the username of the person who posted the torrent on TPB is noapplezhere. Can't find any information that shows noapplezhere = Keith. Most strange.

Two signatures away from the magic 170 signatures on the petition. Of course I'd like to see the amount of signatures go beyond 170 so we can really drive the point home that we don't want to settle for an inferior pirate version. Give us the real thing, please!
Old 20 May 2008, 14:49   #127
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryCase View Post
Of course I'd like to see the amount of signatures go beyond 170...
Old 20 May 2008, 15:05   #128
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Sweet!
Old 09 June 2008, 08:59   #129
Pyromania

How much money would it take to get this book printed? Depending on the cost DiscreetFX might cover this.
Old 09 June 2008, 22:02   #130
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Come on Andreas, don't let us all down again...
Old 10 June 2008, 11:33   #131
AndreasM

sorry, the project are dead
Old 11 June 2008, 21:49   #132
HenryCase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
How much money would it take to get this book printed? Depending on the cost DiscreetFX might cover this.
That's awesome Pyromania. I will mention your intention to help out (if feasible) next time I e-mail Ralph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasM View Post
sorry, the project are dead
I wouldn't say it's the right time to give up all hope. I'm still in contact with Ralph, and he hasn't told me 'no chance' yet.
Old 12 June 2008, 01:19   #133
Boot_WB
Novice in the Black Arts

I'm #234

Ooo! Is it another counting thread?
Old 12 June 2008, 10:24   #134
AndreasM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryCase View Post
I wouldn't say it's the right time to give up all hope. I'm still in contact with Ralph, and he hasn't told me 'no chance' yet.
i get the info "no chance" 2 days before i release the press release.

the problem are not the printing. the problem are not the money. the problem are the pirate copie.
Old 12 June 2008, 11:25   #135
BuZz

Send a message via ICQ to BuZz
So even though I want to buy the new version of the book. Even though I would buy a reprint of the old book, I have no choice but to get the pirate copy printed if I ever want to have this book in a useable format.. madness..
Old 13 June 2008, 05:18   #136
xaind

I don't mean to offend the author or anyone else with this, but I have to say I think this response is simply tantrum-chucking of the most childish kind.

I know someone who *this week* attempted to buy a copy of the English version of the Amiga Guru Book on ebay and was out-bid, despite bidding a fairly high amount. It's obvious that the uploading of a scanned copy to some torrent somewhere has done nothing to harm the market for this book.

When Suelette Dreyfus made her book "Underground" available for free download in a variety of formats online, the very first thing I and many many others did was order a printed copy. Just because the text can be downloaded for free doesn't mean that people won't buy a printed copy, just the opposite in Underground's case, in fact. (Many people here may find Underground interesting. Check it out on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underground_%28book%29 )

If the new edition of the Amiga Guru Book had been made available, I would have bought it, the downloadability of the old edition would have made no difference to me. So would the person I know who tried to get it on ebay.

The infantile knee-jerk response of canceling the new edition has achieved nothing except depriving innocent amiga-community members of a valuable resource, and depriving the author/publishers sales that they would still have gotten if they had gone ahead.
Old 13 June 2008, 11:48   #137
Ian
Global Moderator

It was already behind schedule (two weeks late before the big cancelling)

I doubt it's anywhere near finished to be honest. I expect in another 6 months AndreasM will announce Ralph has had a change of heart (or as I suspect actually finished it) and will release the book and get far more sales as a result of the actions seen in this thread.
Old 13 June 2008, 12:29   #138
AndreasM

Lol
Old 23 June 2008, 03:59   #139
HenryCase

I'm restarting this campaign. Well I mean I never really stopped, but now I need some help again.

Let's get this out of the way now: I have been in contact with Ralph Babel, but progress has been slow. However, I do not see this as a bad sign.

The reason I am asking for help again is this: I saw two targets for the Amiga Guru Book petition, but I only mentioned one, and to be honest I thought the 170 signature target might have been overly optimistic at first (before the numbers didn't stop going up).

The second signature target I saw was to surpass the number of people who had downloaded the infamous torrent, which is around 302 people now. At the time of writing this, the petition has reached 247 signatures even though I haven't done much to promote it since we reached the 170 target.

So, a couple of things:
1. Please don't download the torrent unless you're confident it'll be the only way to easily obtain the material in the near future (the book still could be published at this point, Ralph has not told me otherwise).
2. If you haven't signed the petition yet and want to see Amiga programmers get access to one of the best (maybe even THE best, according to owners of the book) Amiga programming resources around, sign the petition.

I am duplicating this message on the following Amiga websites (in alphabetical order): amigans.net, amiga.org, amigaworld.net, AROS-Exec.org, AROSWorld.org, eab.abime.net (English Amiga Board), MorphZone.org, UtilityBase.com. I know this topic has been discussed on other Amiga forums, so please pass on this 'drumming up support' message to the places it needs to be heard. Also, does anyone know if there is a central point to discuss this issue with all those involved with UAE ports? The Amiga Guru Book should be handy for the emulation crew as well.

That's all for now. Sign on (you crazy diamonds!).
http://www.petitiononline.com/4m1ga123/petition.html

Last edited by HenryCase; 23 June 2008 at 04:05.
Old 23 June 2008, 11:48   #140
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

I've signed the petition.

I'ld like to thank AndreasM for bringing the torrent to my attention, best type of advertising he could have done. I'm in a situation where I need to think twice about every penny I spend... hence I oftentimes download boks and other things before I decide whether or not it's worth spending my money on.

This book is likely one of thengs I would buy regardless of quality, simply because it's for and about the Amiga. So.... unless the author restarts his work, I will have the book in e-form..... if he decides to publish, I believe it'll totally have been worth his efforts. Books is way beter on paper than onscreen.

I believe, the main reason for it to be torrented, is because there is actually a high demand for it. otherwise.... the torrent-people wouldn't have bothered.