English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hall Of Light > HOL contributions

Old 24 February 2013, 22:24   #1
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Correcting and improving Wiz'n'Liz cheats

Here a series of posts to amend and add the cheats for Wiz'n'Liz on HOL.

1) Correction of the recipes.

It seems like those we currently have listed are taken from the MegaDrive version. Searching online reveals that other sites list similar recipes/spells for the Amiga, so I guess the original material (magazine?) was either a copy and paste from cheats for the MD or perhaps for a review release of the game.

What hinted me towards this, is the suppsoed Lemmings recipe (banana + banana). On the MD, it does give Lemmings walking in the background. On the Amiga however, it gives the "See that old movie" display modification (turns black/sepia and white).

I remember that from the days (I had the Loonies crack, with the slow walking bug after dying which is apparently a result of incomplete cracking according to the whdload install) and I have tried recently using the IPF release.
So either there was a review release (or different releases) or my theory is correct.

Here is a corrected and verified list. I will make a better formated version, what I want now is to have some reactions from people if they have things to add/correct/whatever. Corrected entries are those with tabs in front of them. The part after the arrow is the correction. A few corrections are simply improvement suggestions/clarifications:

Code:
     Apple + Apple               Free bonus letter.
     Apple + Strawberry          Opens exit door (or awards points).
     Apple + Banana              Opens shop (or awards points).
     Apple + Orange              Fruit randomiser.
     Apple + Carrot              5,000 points.
            Apple + Potato              Friendship spell. -> Hey!, the clock's stopped! This should be really easy. Oh no, someone's wound it back up!  -> It does not stay stopped if you exit before the second sentence begins :D
            Apple + Cabbage             Time Doubler (once only).  -> If done a second time states "sorry time has already been doubled."
     Apple + Mango               75 stars.
     Apple + Lemon               100,000 points.
     Apple + Onion               Magic ruby.
            Apple + Pear                Me and my shadow!    -> Switch characters (Wiz <-> Liz)
     Apple + Cherry              150 stars.
     Apple + Avocado             Toggle Grassland door.
            Apple + Mushroom            Fruit returner spell. -> The fruits you use for the next spell (and only that one) will reappear after you enter/exit a door (such as the shop)
     Avocado + Avocado           All Bonus letters given.
     Avocado + Mushroom          Extra life.
              Banana + Banana             Oh no! It's Lemmings. -> See that old movie? You're in it, you!    The display turns to black/sepia and white
     Banana + Orange             Absolutely nothing!
     Banana + Carrot             50 stars.
     Banana + Potato             Open hint shop (or awards points).
     Banana + Cabbage            Sale spell.
     Banana + Mango              Toggle Templeland door.
             Banana + Lemon              Turns fruit into time.  -> Time ahoy! -> Seems like there are different values (noticed some up to +30 seconds and down to +5 seconds. Random? Need more research)
     Banana + Onion              Catch!
              Banana + Pear               Turns fruit into points. -> Points ahoy! -> Different values, random (had two bananas, one gave 50 points, the other 10)
              Banana + Cherry             Tortois.  -> Wot! No Llamas? Bacground elements are colour-cycling. Tribute to Llamasoft games I supppose
     Banana + Avocado            45 extra seconds.
     Banana + Mushroom           Slow Timer.
     Cabbage + Cabbage           Letter Basher sub game.
              Cabbage + Mango             25,000 stars. -> 25,000 points
     Cabbage + Lemon             No invisible letters.
     Cabbage + Onion             5 seconds extra time.
     Cabbage + Pear              Toggle Deadland door.
              Cabbage + Cherry            Shadow lands. -> Backgrounds elements are completely dark
     Cabbage + Avocado           50,000 points.
     Cabbage + Mushroom          Wabbitoids sub game.
     Carrot + Carrot             Sound test.
     Carrot + Potato             20 seconds extra time.
     Carrot + Cabbage            Diddley squat.
              Carrot + Mango              A bunch of bananas! -> All fruits available turn permanently to bananas. If no fruit is available: "Sorry! No fruit avaliable (sic)... Stars have been returned"
     Carrot + Lemon              80 stars.
               Carrot + Onion              Fruit preserver. -> Fruit life prolonged
     Carrot + Pear               Wabbit invaders.
     Carrot + Cherry             1 star and 100,000 points.
     Carrot + Avocado            5 stars.
              Carrot + Mushroom           Turns fruit into stars. -> Stars ahoy! Each available fruit becomes a star of random value (had 3 apples, which gave respectively 5, 40 and 100 stars)
     Cherry + Cherry             Bounce sub game.
              Cherry + Avocado            Fruit increaser spell. -> Magic mushrooms : all available fruits turned to mushrooms
     Cherry + Mushroom           Skip a level spell.
              Lemon + Lemon               Swap bonus letters. -> In other words, if you have none, you will get them all, but if you have 4 you will be left with only 1.
     Lemon + Onion               Random extra points.
              Lemon + Pear                Double stars (in level). -> Pick up one star, get one free!
     Lemon + Cherry              Disassembly clue.
     Lemon + Avocado             1 star.
     Lemon + Mushroom            1 second and 300 stars.
              Mango + Mango               -> Double time icons. (Collect one time icon, get one free
     Mango + Lemon               Random extra stars.
     Mango + Onion               Toggle Desertland door.
     Mango + Pear                100 stars.
     Mango + Cherry              1 second extra time.
     Mango + Avocado             Ha ha!
     Mango + Mushroom            250,000 points.
     Mushroom + Mushroom         Magic sapphire.
     Onion + Onion               No dying wabbits.
              Onion + Pear                Magic mushrooms. -> Fruit increased: Each fruit available is changed to the next fruit in the shop order (for instance an apple becomes a strawberry)
     Onion + Cherry              20,000 points.
     Onion + Avocado             125 stars.
               Onion + Mushroom           Double Cheeseburger to go. All background elements disappear.
     Orange + Orange             1 point.
              Orange + Carrot             Blue wabbits.   ->  Wabbits worth each 500 points each, but only for the next level (that is for the point total at the end of the level. Instead of the usual 50 points). Wabbits colour remains normal (orange)
     Orange + Potato             Snake sub game.
              Orange + Cabbage            Confucius says....   (corrected spelling)
     Orange + Mango              Random extra time.
     Orange + Lemon              Chance sub game.
     Orange + Onion              30 seconds extra time.
     Orange + Pear               40 seconds extra time.
     Orange + Cherry             Toggle Lunarland door.
     Orange + Avocado            10,000 points.
              Orange + Mushroom           Tube skiing sub game. - > Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No - it's wonder wizzy!   -> High jump (only for the next level, excluding the super bonus level)
              Pear + Pear                 Finder sub game.    -> Finders Keepers! subgame
     Pear + Cherry               175 stars.
     Pear + Avocado              200 stars.
     Pear + Mushroom             50 seconds extra time.
              Potato + Potato             Toggle Treeland door. -> Toggle Woodland door
     Potato + Cabbage            Game over (joke).
     Potato + Mango              Magic emerald.
     Potato + Lemon              Guesser sub game.
     Potato + Onion              Not a sausage.
     Potato + Pear               Gold rush sub game.
     Potato + Cherry             Toggle Mineland door.
     Potato + Avocado            Toggle Snowland door.
     Potato + Mushroom           250 stars.
     Strawberry + Strawberry     10 seconds extra time.
     Strawberry + Banana         Magic diamond.
     Strawberry + Orange         Splat those dudes sub game.
     Strawberry + Carrot         Point doubler (once only).
              Strawberry + Potato         Web wabbits.      -> Wabbits worth each 2500 points each, but only for the next level (that is for the point total at the end of the level. Instead of the usual 50 points). Wabbits colour remains normal (orange)
              Strawberry + Cabbage        Gween wabbits.    -> Wabbits worth 1000 points each, but only for the next level (that is for the point total at the end of the level. Insted of the usual 50 points). Wabbits colour remains normal (orange)
     Strawberry + Mango          Wheel spin sub game.
              Strawberry + Lemon          Trip a tron. -> The colour of magic! sub game
              Strawberry + Onion          Stormy weather. -> Mirror, Mirror on the wall! Look Behind or you'll fall.     -> The character walks/runs facing the reverse direction.
     Strawberry + Pear           Pong sub game.
     Strawberry + Cherry         Stars 2x (once only).
            Strawberry + Avocado        Double bonus. -> Double bonus round!
     Strawberry + Mushroom       1 point and 60 seconds.

Last edited by lilalurl; 25 February 2013 at 22:14.
Old 24 February 2013, 22:31   #2
lilalurl
Global Moderator

2) Additional passwords

Some of the MD passwords also work on Amiga. Not necessarily in the exact same way.

I don't know which source to credit as I had a list in a text file and a quick look online suggests several sources.
One site was among my bookmarks so I guess part of those were taken from there:
http://www.captainwilliams.co.uk/seg...iz/wiznliz.php

Ofc, everything was verified using the ipf

Code:
Unlock hint "V":
Enter MQHS PKDN as a password.

"Look up to the sky and hold down 'a' and extra time will come your way!
However, use it sparingly!"

->   Press up and hold down the 'a' key. Extra time won't actually appear, you need to collect a few wabbits and it will appear. You can do that even if you have a lot of time left.
I am not sure about the last part of the message because I managed to trigger that at least 3 times in the same level.

Unlock hint "W":
Enter CBSK LGQD as a password.

"When putting a password hold down 'fire and 'c' as you enter the last letter to begin with loads of stars!"
->  Gives you 100 stars and the shop is open.

Unlock hint "X":
Enter BBBB BBBB as a password.

Unlock hint "Y":
Enter TTTT TTTT as a password.

Hint U and Z do not seem to exist????

Code:
Face any Boss:
Enter TCDT GBBS as a password.
-> Known as Big Baddie Selection

Apprentice Taxing with all gems, 500 stars, 2 minutes:
Enter MRCF RSCD as a password.

GSSN QLML for Super Wizard Tame with the shop and 100 stars -> Super Wizard difficulty is unlocked when you restart the game by pressing Escape

HSSN RLLL for Super Wizard Taxing with shop and 100 stars -> Super Wizard difficulty is unlocked when you restart the game by pressing Escape

Next I will post the text of every hint you can buy in the hint shop (I have screenshots, just need to take the time to type them).

I'll also try and do a few personal tips (not necessarily for the HOL entry). If some people have things to share, they would be welcome.
Old 25 February 2013, 11:43   #3
lilalurl
Global Moderator

3) Here is the list of the hints you can buy in the hint shop (hint A to T). I have put online an archive with the screenshots for anyone interested.

Code:
Hint A: Don't forget that 'fire' and 'down' drops you through a platform!
Hint B: Remember to make a note of your password for future games!
Hint C: Don't forget that the most time you can have is three minutes!
Hint D: Don't forget that fruit last for three rounds only!
Hint E: When you run out of time, race around to find the shining extra time ball!
Hint F: Try the banana and apple spell to go shopping
Hint G: Stand under the leaves of the freaky flower to be safe!
Hint H: Bored of your fruit? Try an apple and an orange for a bit of variety
Hint I: You can quit the game at any time by pressing the escape key!
Hint J: If you can't afford your shopping, try a banana and a cabbage to make your stars go further!
Hint K: Make sure you always save a dying wabbit, else all your letters will be lost!
Hint L: Don't forget that your fairy always shows the shortest route to the dying wabbit!
Hint M: Collect all four gems for a mega bonus!
Hint N: Before you have the magic word, a dying wabbit will always release a letter!
Hint O: Try mixing a spell to increase the value of your wabbits!
Hint P: Collect everything in the bonus round for an extra life!
Hint Q: On 'splat those dudes' hit Puggsy a lot for an extra life!
Hint R: In 'the colour of magic' hang around for a while!
Hint S: Try a pair of pears, to keep what you find!
Hint T: Time flies when you're having fun! Try a mushroom and a banana for an exception to the rule!
Old 03 August 2013, 02:49   #4
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Bump: Any comment before I edit the current list of recipes with what I listed in the first post?