English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 30 November 2008, 13:18   #1
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Have you guessed what it is yet..?

A bit of a painful question, let's see if I can illustrate:

Well you try using a track-point mouse thingamy on a laptop & see how good your scribbling is!

Anyway, the point:
I've finally managed to purchase a mini-ITX board for what I consider a non-outrageous sum to 'upgrade' my Qube server. (see Avatar)
I always knew it was going to be a tight fit but, well, it looks like I'm going to have to scrap everything but the external plastics - bugger!

Doing a 'Colin Chapman' I'll make the mobo a load-bearing member & hang everything off that while screwing it to the case-base - & that's where I've run into a snag...

...all these years of building modded computers & I've never had to buy any 'bits' - just recycling parts from old PC cases. Well, now I've run out of junk!

I need some long & short screw together standoffs - see arrowed bits on the above work of art.
Also, some plastic sheet, the kind of stuff PC cases are made of - see arrowed bits on the above work of art.

The plastic sheet won't be a problem, I'll pay a bit more attention to some local skips. But having searched the usual places I can't find any appropriate standoffs to hold the lot together.
Not long enough, or sufficient range of sizes. Or the 'vendor' would want me to sacrifice my first-born child to be able to afford the quantity I require - me cheap? Noooo.

Ok, plastic ones won't cut it, they need to be 'proper' metal ones - somewhat like the little metal plugs you see for attaching a mobo to a PC case.

All of this stuff exists - you see them all the time holding other mini-ITX projects together...

Thanks,
Please save the mouse's house.
Old 30 November 2008, 13:46   #2
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Ahhh, Nirvana.

Further suggestions..?
Old 30 November 2008, 15:23   #3
TheCorfiot
Amibay Senior Staff

Charlie

Why don't you use threaded Rod's & then use nuts as supports for your second layer. could even use another nut then to hold the second layer in place & provide stability

Just a thought

TC
Old 30 November 2008, 16:45   #4
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Good idea - thanks TC.

Do you think Rolf's got anything to worry about?