English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Gaming

Old 11 September 2018, 00:05   #1
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Skyrim or Skyrim SE?

Fellow gamers, I think it’s time I get into Skyrim.
However Steam makes everything complicated. What are you thoughts on Skyrim vs the Special Edition release?

Skyrim £9.99
Skyrim SE £29.99

Is SE worth £20 more than Skyrim?

Thanks.
Old 11 September 2018, 02:53   #2
ptyerman

I have both versions and the normal Skyrim is the better choice. The special edition is Bethesda's attempt to inflict a store like interface on to the mods and addons. It sux!
Old 11 September 2018, 10:11   #3
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I play the SE edition, I have little trouble with it - but I got it for free having the original with all expansions, I don't think it is worth the extra money. I actually like the store interface for the mods, nice to browse. Slow, but I'm not in a hurry.

But Skyrim is the type of game where the base game is okay but eventually you will get a taste for modding that can never be satisfied. For that the original Skyrim is still the best, I think. I can get by with the mods found in the portal but if this is your one go at Skyrim then you probably want to go full retard with modding eventually.
Old 11 September 2018, 20:51   #4
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
I play the SE edition, I have little trouble with it - but I got it for free having the original with all expansions, I don't think it is worth the extra money. I actually like the store interface for the mods, nice to browse. Slow, but I'm not in a hurry.

But Skyrim is the type of game where the base game is okay but eventually you will get a taste for modding that can never be satisfied. For that the original Skyrim is still the best, I think. I can get by with the mods found in the portal but if this is your one go at Skyrim then you probably want to go full retard with modding eventually.
I'm partly with gimbal on this one but here are some things to consider as well.

The SE version is a full on 64-bit app, it basically doesn't have the limitations of memory access that the original or OldRim version has, however it does introduce it's own quirks too.

The interface does indeed interface directly with the Bethesda Store Front so you would have to mod this out if that is an annoyance, there are plenty of FREE mods at the NEXUS to do this and pretty much all of the stuff you want to do.

However, if you want to support the modders there are plenty of ways to do this on the NEXUS as well and some have their own Patreon pages.

Also the Modtool for Skryim SE requires a Bethesda account, free but of course this means you have to sign up using a valid email address and you get spam/announcements etc.

I myself put in 3333 hours in Oldrim before retiring it, this was mainly due to the mods, basically finishing a toon or getting tired playing it and then rolling a new one and doing the same thing, repeat until you no longer want to play, well it really never ended for me as you can see I'm slowly grinding away at SE now

The main thing with both Oldrim and SE is the mods, but that isn't for everyone, some just like vanilla and I get that so really you can probably have just as much fun in Oldrim and still make it look great depending on your PC hardware of course.
Old 11 September 2018, 23:40   #5
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Thanks all.
I’m swaying towards oldrim, however the 32bit limitation worries me. Is it much of an issue on a 64bit system?
Old 12 September 2018, 11:16   #6
ptyerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI View Post
Thanks all.
I’m swaying towards oldrim, however the 32bit limitation worries me. Is it much of an issue on a 64bit system?
No, not so much now. It was when first released and was causing plenty of crashes to desktop due to memory constraints, this was soon dealt with by a community patch to begin with and was officially patched in later releases.
Any and all patches and mods are available on the Nexus. There is hundreds of great mods available that I couldn't imagine been without now.
Old 12 September 2018, 16:40   #7
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmijo View Post
I myself put in 3333 hours in Oldrim before retiring it, this was mainly due to the mods, basically finishing a toon or getting tired playing it and then rolling a new one and doing the same thing, repeat until you no longer want to play, well it really never ended for me as you can see I'm slowly grinding away at SE now
Not completely true...

You had 3332 hours until I annoyed you to play one more hour.

IHO wait for sale that will never come. (that is where I am with Skyrim and other Bethesda games)
Old 12 September 2018, 18:27   #8
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
You had 3332 hours until I annoyed you to play one more hour.
Brilliant!!
Old 14 September 2018, 00:33   #9
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI View Post
Brilliant!!
I know Right

But I really didn't realize how many hours I had into Oldrim at the time until it was pointed out and I was slapped across the face with it until I completed that last HOUR