English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 04 January 2017, 18:06   #1
beaglelover

PAL Amiga(s) with NTSC switch, Gotek ?

Hello, I want to know about whether certain model of PAL Amiga will work in Canada (NTSC) as some people say certain models have a on/off style switch of switching from PAL to NTSC. Do you know which models those ones are, and does it work reliably ? What if we got one and turned on the NTSC switch and installed a gotek/cf card with it, will it still load up all the amiga games ever made and run ok or is there more type of mod to do? I'm thinking that since were in Canada it would be more preferable to get a NTSC machine but they're hard to come across

And for monitors screens I heard also that certain models of the Atari SC1224 can work along with the Amiga with a special type of cable that was once sold in parts of the USA, does anyone know where to buy this cable online ? It seems like a good investment.

anyway thank you for any helps

Last edited by beaglelover; 04 January 2017 at 18:22. Reason: update
Old 04 January 2017, 18:18   #2
Amiga1992

If you connect through RGB it doesn't matter if it's PAL or NTSC, just that your display syncs at 50 and 60Hz.

If you don't use RGB, it will not display unless your display accepts PAL signals.
Gotek will run irregardless, but PAL games might not run in NTSC machines.

Basically, if you get an RGB monitor, you shouldn't have a problem, as I think all of them do both 50 and 60 Hz, and you should just leave the Amiga running in PAL (50Hz) mode.
I think that Atari monitor could and could not work, depending on the version, I would just try to get an Amiga monitor or something more modern that does RGB or something (search these boards for LCD displays). They can be found for cheap in local sales sites (have you tried Kijiji? )
Old 05 January 2017, 01:01   #3
idrougge

How can a NTSC model be hard to come across? Every Amiga sold in Canada should be NTSC.