English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 24 October 2018, 21:50   #1
eXeler0

Has icomp officially given up on Amiga Reloaded?

Not much new too see at icomp.de these days but I did stumble across the products page today..

https://icomp.de/shop-icomp/en/shop.html#filter=*
...and noticed a whole bunch off AGA chipset chips on sale. Even hard to find chip like Alice.

These were the chips Jens was saving for the Amiga Reloaded one would presume..?

I guess that the vamps for the A5/600, upcomin standalone Vamp and even Chucky's reverse engineered A1200 mobo rendered it more or less obsolete..

Oh well...
Old 24 October 2018, 22:03   #2
obitus1990

No, he hasn't, according to his wiki, and from emails I have received from him. He says has more than enough of the chipsets to build enough Reloaded boards to fill demands...and that the ones for sale are those that will be left over after the run of boards. Mind you, he still hasn't designed the board though. The chipsets are for sale,yes, in response to user requests for parts to build the 1200 and 4000 remade boards... but, you must buy the whole chipset for each machine if you want an Alice, as that is the hardest one to find (since he has almost all the existing stock).
Old 24 October 2018, 22:09   #3
Mr.Flibble

hmm, €150 for a set of A1200 parts - seems excessive given I can get a whole motherboard for that..
Old 25 October 2018, 08:05   #4
ronybeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk_m View Post
No, he hasn't, according to his wiki, and from emails I have received from him....<snip>.....Mind you, he still hasn't designed the board though.
So just 2 more weeks then.

It is fair to say that the project was never alive. A wiki page and good intentions isn't really enough to say that the project exists. Still, I would love to see this come to life. It would be very nice.
Old 25 October 2018, 09:40   #5
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

From what he wrote on the german A1K forum, the project seems to be alive.

Just a whole lot of other stuff that he needs to take care of before that. iComp is still a small company, don't forget that,
Old 25 October 2018, 11:29   #6
roondar

It's a bit of a shame, really. The C64 reloaded is a rather nice product, the Amiga reloaded also looks like it would be a nice product - but it doesn't seem to be in the cards any time soon.

Still, I have hope it'll eventually come out.
Old 25 October 2018, 13:08   #7
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
From what he wrote on the german A1K forum, the project seems to be alive.

Just a whole lot of other stuff that he needs to take care of before that. iComp is still a small company, don't forget that,

I realize that, its just that its not obvious what other stuff that needs to happen first. This project was announced quite a while ago so there was a plan at the time.

Sometimes the timing of release is more important than other factors. I just hope the ship hasn't sailed for this one.

Then again, from comments above it seems its going to be a small-ish limited run (if he's already selling "remaining" chipsets then I guess he reserved a fixed number of them for the AReloaded. But ok, we dont know *that* number so...).

Anyways, I wish Jens the best of luck with this one and hope that it will still feel relevant when the day comes.
Old 25 October 2018, 14:35   #8
kriz

Seems like its coming, looking forward to it ..
Old 25 October 2018, 20:13   #9
Signman

Jens seems cautious and meticulous in his dealings so who knows.
As far as having enough chips to meet demand, what demand? Is there a preorder or reservation page?

I would surely want one.
Old 25 October 2018, 20:31   #10
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signman View Post
Jens seems cautious and meticulous in his dealings so who knows.
As far as having enough chips to meet demand, what demand? Is there a preorder or reservation page?

I would surely want one.

Last section of the Wiki page:

8><----

Distribution/Sales

After we've finished the first prototype, we will take binding orders to find out the actual demand of the Commodore A1200 Reloaded. After this order phase is over, production will start and the boards will be delivered about 18-20 weeks after the initial order phase. It will be for the first time that we are taking money from customers before mass-production has started. Should you not trust us, we recommend to pay with PayPal: One of the changes they have done lately to their terms is that buyer protection can be requested for up to 180 days after the payment. Should there be any delay that lets you lose trust in the project, you can safely ask your money back - not just guaranteed by iComp, but also guaranteed by PayPal, who are known to be very customer-friendly. On the legal side, we will not treat your order as "built to your specification", which would be a backdoor for cutting down on your right of revocation. We'd like to emphasize that your right of revocation remains in place until 14 days after the product has arrived at your place.
Since we have considerably more AGA chipsets than C64 chipsets in stock, it's unlikely that there will be a shortage. We're open to positive surprises, though!
Old 25 October 2018, 20:43   #11
DanyPPC

So the A1200 Reloaded is going out ?
Old 25 October 2018, 20:43   #12
E-Penguin
Banana

Looks like they're out of Lisas so no chipset for anyone
Old 26 October 2018, 17:15   #13
seb132
French in Australia

Send a message via MSN to seb132 Send a message via Yahoo to seb132
Jens just told me to use his e-shop to order my components so he definitely doesn’t do anymore full shipsets...
Old 01 March 2019, 12:28   #14
roondar

Apologies for the thread necromancy here, but I've recently been wondering about the state of this project.

Now to be clear, any form of new low-end Amiga motherboard* would be just awesome IMHO as I'd dearly love to preserve my A500/A1200 experience for quite a while longer and that'd be so much easier if the non-chipset parts of the hardware was more modern.

Of course, I'm not a hardware kinda person so I don't feel qualified to solder stuff myself. Which is why I was looking forward to a new 'A1200' quite a bit.

So: is this still on the cards? If not: are there any alternatives (preferably using the same chipset)?
I know about the Vampire, but that is not what I'm looking for here.

*) if you're wondering why - this is about nostalgia and getting a modern/new version of what I actually used. I do love the higher end Amiga's, but I only ever used the A500/A600/A1200 back in the day and as such really would like to preserve that kind of thing.
Old 01 March 2019, 16:42   #15
arcanist

Also been keeping an eye on this project.

I'm particularly interested in the NOS chipset as that's the heart of the Amiga (to me) and replacements are difficult to source. The Indivision without thermal concerns is also appealing.
Old 04 March 2019, 14:18   #16
AmigaHope

IIRC the Indivision series basically implements a big chunk of the Lisa chip on its own in order to generate its display. Maybe in the future Lisa will become redundant and the board wouldn't need it?
Old 04 March 2019, 17:20   #17
Daedalus

Individual have a significant stock of the NOS chips, which can be bought on their website. I expect these are stocked in anticipation of the Amiga Reloaded boards. There are rumours that he is selling half his stock of chips and keeping half for the Reloaded, but I've no idea how much truth - if any - there is to these.
Old 04 March 2019, 18:47   #18
wiz12

To buy the full chipset it's around €144 which is not cheap so does that mean the Reloaded will be at least twice that?
Old 04 March 2019, 18:50   #19
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

A bit more.

Quote:
After development is done, we will start taking pre-orders, so we can find out the initial demand. This will be different from the proceedings of the C64 Reloaded: With a sufficient quantity of AGA chips in our stock, there is a technical limit, but we don't expect it to be an actual limit. The target price of the main board with AGA chips, DVI-I output and RTG solution is in the 350,- EUR ballpark
Old 04 March 2019, 19:16   #20
utri007
mä vaan

I have waited this long.