English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 29 March 2012, 19:45   #1
Amiga1992

Protracker sampling: yes or no?

As much as I have used PT for a damn while, I never was able to afford a sampler so I never had one before until now. I am having fun sampling whatever I want (easier than search for samples IMO!) but I am running into issues.

Do any of the MOD masters here have any input about this? I am wondering if I should be sampling directly on Protracker or to use some other software.

My problem is that lower end samples sound really gritty on low volumes, it seems like IA m stuck on the frequency setting and also it seems I have a very limited sample time on each sample.

Perhaps I should be using something like Technosound's software or something.

I also bet most of those who track on PT today just convert the samples from the PC using Cool Edit or something.

Anyway, hearing thoughts. I'd like to make the best out of my 4 samplers
Old 29 March 2012, 20:57   #2
daxb

If you sample from PT its sample editor I recommend to use note F3 (about 22kHz) for general (sometimes you will like lower or higher rates).

Sometimes it is better to use other sampling software. Here I recommend good old AudioMasterIV. It is fast and easy to use. If you want larger samples then 64k (128k max) in PT you can cut a sample in AudioMasterIV in tow parts an load these into PT and copy/paste afterwards.

About quality: You get 8bit mono ~27kHz (max). So don`t expect wonders. If you use a mixer mute all other sources except that source you want to sample. Sometimes shielding is necessary. My personal experiences is that digital source like cd-player gives good samples. For example my mc-303 results in worse samples.
Old 29 March 2012, 23:07   #3
Amiga1992

Nah I don't want tons of quality, but the lower range is getting deformed quite bad, while I hear other people's samples to be much better. So I wonder how they are being made.

I'll give AudioMaster IV a try!

I'll use F3 only on drum samples, otherwise it becomes a re-tuning nightmare. Most synths sound OK sampled on C-3 (which is only a few notes below).

Thanks for your input as always, daxb!
Old 30 March 2012, 00:28   #4
XimeR

I always used to use Audiomaster III & IV for sampling. To me, sampling within Protracker / OctaMED just never seemed right.

Technosound Turbo 1 & 2 aren't too bad, along with Stereo Master as well....Audiomaster was my choice though
Old 30 March 2012, 15:20   #5
Amiga1992

I actually like my AMAS2 sampler better from all I have. I think I might stick to it for sampling.

Thanks for your tips! I'll have to check Audiomaster.
Old 30 March 2012, 18:30   #6
diablothe2nd

It's a weird co-incidence that you posted this as i've just finished touching up some missing pages of Cu Amiga for AMR... the images in question are about sampling and music making.

Not sure if it's any help, but it's in the zone!
Old 30 March 2012, 19:12   #7
Amiga1992

Thank you! I'll give it al ook!
I have a little book called "Amiga Music and FX" which came with a mag, and it explains all about sampling rates, but it doesn't mention ProTracker or anything specifically.